Menu

Who pays? Fire damage to wool coat at work

Harriet Vane

My dd works for a store in a major retail chain at a ginormous mall. There was a small, minor fire at work. Her wool coat was sprayed with fire extinguisher and needs to be dry cleaned. The store pays for this, right? 

Her manager claims not. 

In the grand scheme of things, it's not that much money, so it's not a hill to die on. However, I am flabbergasted by the expectation that damage to employee property by a store fire isn't covered by the corporation.

Yes, the store's insurance should pay for it. Have her contact human resources directly. 

ETA: Their insurance company may actually have a restoration company that they have do all of their work like this, so if she hasn't had it cleaned, she should wait until she hears from the insurance company. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 6

does the manager own the store - or just manage a branch?  the stores insurance should cover costs to clean up the messes from the damage.  including cleaning the coat.  the manager is trying to minimize the expenses associated with said fire.  I'd go over his head.

• Like 2

If it was minor enough that they were able to extinguish without calling the fire department, they may not plan on filing a claim at all.  If this is a branch of a chain, it might not even be reported to the main company (especially if the manager feels responsible for it).  I strongly believe that the store is responsible in this case, but I don't think it is worth making her life harder at work by making an issue out of it.

• Like 3

If it was minor enough that they were able to extinguish without calling the fire department, they may not plan on filing a claim at all.  If this is a branch of a chain, it might not even be reported to the main company (especially if the manager feels responsible for it).  I strongly believe that the store is responsible in this case, but I don't think it is worth making her life harder at work by making an issue out of it.

Except if the fire was the manager's fault, it makes me wonder what else he doesn't want his home office to find out about. Making her life harder for the moment may make it easier for herself or someone else from a safety standpoint in the future. 

• Like 2

The employer should pay for it, but I wouldn't bother. It will be such a hassle to file a claim for a relatively small amount of money.

Not a small amount of money to a store employee, though. Plus this will help the young person learn how to stand up for their rights and deal with insurance etc. over a small matter - preparation for whatever the future may hold.

• Like 4