Menu

I can sleep in peace tonight because...

Ellie

LOL

I avoid books with Oprah's seal on them like the plague.

It still bothers me that one of her picks was Anna Karenina. Did she really read this, or did someone tell her the key points of the book?

The part that upset me was that I watched every single day and she never had the author on to explain why the book is so darned long. Or the names. Hello? Confuzzling!

Oprah. What's with her?

LOL

I avoid books with Oprah's seal on them like the plague.

It still bothers me that one of her picks was Anna Karenina. Did she really read this, or did someone tell her the key points of the book?

I avoid them now. I didn't even know for many years that she had this book thing going on, as I have never watched her show.

I also wonder if she actually read Anna Karenina. Seems just a little deeper than I would expect. Maybe she asked Al if it was a good book...

The part that upset me was that I watched every single day and she never had the author on to explain why the book is so darned long. Or the names. Hello? Confuzzling!

Oprah. What's with her?

Zelda, you've got to help me out here: You're joking, right? Please employ appropriate smileys for the concrete thinkers among us (that is, me). :D

Zelda, you've got to help me out here: You're joking, right? Please employ appropriate smileys for the concrete thinkers among us (that is, me). :D

:lol::lol:;):D

Completely joking. I also try not to read an Oprah pick unless directed to do so by my bookclub.

You guys are funny.

I don't watch Oprah. Regardless of her book choices, I think it's great that she's encouraging people to read a book. People who are likely to be watching daytime talk shows. Maybe some of them have read a book or two that she's suggested. And that's a good thing in my book!

One of my favourite stories about the entertainment world is when Sam Goldwyn was importing famous authors to do screen plays. He heard "The Life of The Bee" was famous and imported Maeterlinck to write something, who was baffled but pleased at the money. After he submitted his screen rendition, Goldwyn settled in his office to read it. 10 minutes later he came running out screaming "This is a about a BEE!".

http://www.ibiblio.org/eldritch/mm/b.html

Oh, and Ellie, I can't rep you, but here is an imaginary green one for you: xoxo

Seems just a little deeper than I would expect. Maybe she asked Al if it was a good book...

I don't understand the derision directed at Oprah by various posters in this thread. The woman is no slouch in the brains department, and is a successful business person who does a lot of good. I don't always like the books she chooses (A New Earth is a notable example of that), but I wouldn't write a book off just because it has her seal on it. It's kind of a reverse Appeal to Celebrity fallacy. "Oprah endorses book X, therefore book X is not worth reading."

I'm curious....

I don't understand the derision directed at Oprah by various posters in this thread. The woman is no slouch in the brains department, and is a successful business person who does a lot of good. I don't always like the books she chooses (A New Earth is a notable example of that), but I wouldn't write a book off just because it has her seal on it. It's kind of a reverse Appeal to Celebrity fallacy. "Oprah endorses book X, therefore book X is not worth reading."

I'm curious....

:iagree:

I too don't understand the critical attitude towards someone who is encouraging reading.

I don't understand the derision directed at Oprah by various posters in this thread. ...

I don't understand it either!

I LOVE getting book recommendations. Heck, I read East of Eden because of Oprah.:) I bought Anna Karenina but still haven't read it. My dd saw it on my bookshelf and read it, though. I've read many of Oprah's book club selections. Most of which I probably wouldn't have picked out on my own.

After opening this thread, I was totally disappointed that no one told us the title of her new book club selection. So, I went and looked. It's The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. Never heard of it, so it's one I'll take a look at. And, if Costco carries it in paperback, I will buy it.:D

I'm curious....

I agree, its completely ridiculous and has an element literary snobbery but I just can't help it. If I see that stamp I don't even look at the book. If someone brings it to my attention against my will, I'll hear them out but otherwise...no. There's nothing logical about it. Just a visceral reaction.

I do have some bias against best sellers and all of her picks become best sellers. I'm sure that's part of it.

Sometimes when the world says zig I can't fight my urge to zag. It will probably be my downfall.

I tend to swim against the mainstream but I do have a few books that were evidently on Oprah's list. Wally Lamb is a fantastic author. I didn't know there was an Oprah book list (don't have TV) until someone interrupted me in a coffeeshop while I was reading it.

And I think one of my bookclubs has had some Oprah books. So far, I've loved every one of that club's books.

As long as she's not fawning over a $100 candle, I guess it's ok.

(Her magazine cracks me up. My mom and I call her "favorites" section the, "$100 candle of the month article.") I love looking for that column while I'm waiting for groceries. It's my weekly dose of "Enquirer" type news.

Jen

I saw Oprah's program a few times in summer/fall 1987 while nursing in wee hours of morning. Apparently it has changed considerably; I recall that show was a gentler, classier version of later Springer-type programs and that she often showcased nonheterosexuals to the viewing world.

My first response to seeing Oprah-endorsed books was disdain. Who was so clueless about the world around them that they needed Oprah's hand guiding their reading decisions, I thought. But after giving it more thought, I had a change of heart. If she introduces just a few people to quality literature and supports a struggling talented writer, all is well.

I'm curious....

Nor I. I've ready quite a few of her book club books, most of them before they became book club books but a few on her recommendation and on the whole she chooses some really great books. AND she is encouraging people to read way more widely and get away from Danielle Steel et al. I just don't get how this can be a bad thing.

This crazy reverse snobbery is meaning you guys are missing out on some great books.

I saw Oprah's program a few times in summer/fall 1987 while nursing in wee hours of morning. Apparently it has changed considerably; I recall that show was a gentler, classier version of later Springer-type programs and that she often showcased nonheterosexuals to the viewing world.

My first response to seeing Oprah-endorsed books was disdain. Who was so clueless about the world around them that they needed Oprah's hand guiding their reading decisions, I thought. But after giving it more thought, I had a change of heart. If she introduces just a few people to quality literature and supports a struggling talented writer, all is well.

:iagree:

I'm curious....

I don't understand it either. Why is it so hard to believe that Oprah read Anna Karenina? Because she is wealthy? Because she sometimes deals with trivial matters on her show? Is it racism?

It seems really strange to me that people are so ugly about her. I have only watched a couple of her shows, and never one dealing with books. Are the book discussions really bad, or what?

By the way, I stayed up until 3:00 finishing Edgar Sawtelle two nights ago. I didn't even know it's an Oprah book. But all I can say is that if someone skips it because Oprah picked it, it's truly their loss. This is a book to read.