Menu

How worried should I be?

2ndGenHomeschooler

My DH is a police officer. He texted a few minutes ago to tell me that he was at the clinic after being stuck with a used needle. I don't really know any more than that at this point and he won't be home to fill me in until midnight. He's going back to work after he finishes at the clinic. What now? How likely is it that he'll be infected with something? I'm tempted to Google it but I'm pretty sure that's not the best idea. I'm trying not to freak out about it.

This is stressing me out - more than the time the drunk driver tried to run him over or the time the guy assaulted him and broke his knee.

My DH is a police officer. He texted a few minutes ago to tell me that he was at the clinic after being stuck with a used needle. I don't really know any more than that at this point and he won't be home to fill me in until midnight. He's going back to work after he finishes at the clinic. What now? How likely is it that he'll be infected with something? I'm tempted to Google it but I'm pretty sure that's not the best idea. I'm trying not to freak out about it.

This is stressing me out - more than the time the drunk driver tried to run him over or the time the guy assaulted him and broke his knee.

There is an established protocol for this.  I know it's scary, but it is something that first responders (and health care workers) have to deal with.  Hopefully, they know who had the needle and the person cooperates with testing-that makes things a bit quicker, I think.  They may treat him proactively, or they may just monitor him.  FWIW, I think infection rates from accidental needle sticks are fairly low.  I doubt that's much help, though.  :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 10

Not very. Here's how I know: I'm an ER RN who has been stuck more than once. One time it was with a needle from an HIV patient. My fear drove me to research the topic. The odds of getting HIV from a needle stick are statistically very low. Something like one half of one percent, which means there's a 99.5% chance there will be no contamination. Hepatitis C is somewhat more of a risk but if your husband is a police officer, chances are he's already had his Hep C vaccines.

It's scary, I know. The hospital will likely test the person the contaminated needle came from to rule out HIV and Hep C so you'll know soon.

Try not to worry! The HIV virus is a weak one. It doesn't survive very long outside the body.

• Like 11

Thanks everyone. That helps...I think...

Finally had a chance to talk to DH and it seems this was done intentionally. He's angry (for good reason). He already warned me that he'll probably be quiet and crabby the next couple of days but that I shouldn't take it personally. I probably will be too but somehow we're going to have to keep the kids from picking up on it.

They convinced the guy to get tested but DH is pretty sure they dropped the charges in exchange. That makes me so angry. It's unbelievable that someone has the option of refusing to be tested after something like this - and that this guy is likely going to walk away scot-free after putting us through this!

I am incredibly proud of DH for doing what he does and most of the time I'm glad he does it. There are times though - like now - when I'm just really not sure this job is worth it.

• Like 8

If your DH is a police officer, I am assuming this was not in a medical situation though.  Do they know that guy was the only person who used that needle?  In the hospital for example, it is clear who the needle was used on before the stick.  Hugs to you.  I would make sure that protocol is followed.

• Like 1

If your DH is a police officer, I am assuming this was not in a medical situation though.  Do they know that guy was the only person who used that needle?  In the hospital for example, it is clear who the needle was used on before the stick.  Hugs to you.  I would make sure that protocol is followed.

That's what I'm thinking. It wasn't a medical situation so who knows how many people used that needle. We'll definitely be following all medical advice.

• Like 1

Not very. Here's how I know: I'm an ER RN who has been stuck more than once. One time it was with a needle from an HIV patient. My fear drove me to research the topic. The odds of getting HIV from a needle stick are statistically very low. Something like one half of one percent, which means there's a 99.5% chance there will be no contamination. Hepatitis C is somewhat more of a risk but if your husband is a police officer, chances are he's already had his Hep C vaccines.

It's scary, I know. The hospital will likely test the person the contaminated needle came from to rule out HIV and Hep C so you'll know soon.

Try not to worry! The HIV virus is a weak one. It doesn't survive very long outside the body.

There is not a vaccine against Hepatitis C. 

Transmission risks would be: 

HIV (~.3%)>>Hepatitis C (~3%) >>> Hepatitis B (if no immunization or PEP up to 30%)

-There is post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV (with antiretroviral therapy)

-There is post-exposure prophylaxis for Hep B (with HBig and starting Hep B series)

-Post exposure prophylaxis for Hep C is still experimental.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. That helps...I think...

Finally had a chance to talk to DH and it seems this was done intentionally. He's angry (for good reason). He already warned me that he'll probably be quiet and crabby the next couple of days but that I shouldn't take it personally. I probably will be too but somehow we're going to have to keep the kids from picking up on it.

They convinced the guy to get tested but DH is pretty sure they dropped the charges in exchange. That makes me so angry. It's unbelievable that someone has the option of refusing to be tested after something like this - and that this guy is likely going to walk away scot-free after putting us through this!

I am incredibly proud of DH for doing what he does and most of the time I'm glad he does it. There are times though - like now - when I'm just really not sure this job is worth it.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm so sorry your family is having to deal with this, and that it seems like the guy will walk away. I agree with you that when someone uses their bodily fluids as a weapon, they should lose the right to privacy when it comes to testing those bodily fluids. I appreciate the sacrifices your whole family makes. Please thank your husband for me.

• Like 2

From an article I Read not too long ago it said that there have been very few incidents of infection from a used needle stick and in the cases that were it was minor infections and the workers were in the medical field, usually nurses and in an enviroment people are modre likely to be actually sick with something.

I worked as a nurse...I accidently swallowed another persons poop once ( do NOT ask) and I was fine.

Edited by sewingmama

DH just got home from his follow-up at the clinic and they said everything is fine. The other guy tested negative for everything so he doesn't have to finish the PEPs for HIV that they gave him (they didn't give him anything for HBV) or go back for any more blood tests. That's not what I heard/read would happen so I hope they're right about it. This is the same occupational health center that told him his knee was just bruised when, if fact, it was fractured in several places and the end of his femur was crushed on the inside and took 8 months to heal. I'm not sure I completely trust them.