Menu

Non-Muslims Supporting Muslims

PinkTulip

I'm hoping to toe the line here, out of great respect for SWB and the board rules, so I'll do my best to keep this non-political. But I do feel strongly I must speak up today.

I am a stereotypical Christian mom who spends her time running kids to and from school, music lessons, and sports. But today, I feel very strongly that I must speak up in support of my Muslim brothers and sisters. The world collectively declared "never again" after the atrocities of Hitler, and I feel the need to raise my voice today and speak in support of my fellow man. As a member of a religion with great persecution in its history, and which many consider to be "fringe," I will not sit back quietly and watch. I will do everything in my power to protect the rights and freedoms of my Muslim brothers and sisters.

• Like 30

I may not be stereotypical, but I feel the same way.

I feel the same way about supporting any person to be honest, but definitely, far too many Muslims are in the line of fire (literally) for having done nothing right now.

Our country has had oodles of shootings from many "lines" of people, including Christians and Caucasians, but now it's all "them?"  Sorry.  I'm not buying it.

Lunatics come in all forms.

So do great people.

Fortunately there are more great than lunatic.

• Like 4

The world collectively declared "never again" after the atrocities of Hitler, and I feel the need to raise my voice today and speak in support of my fellow man. 

That sentence right there says it all. It should inspire everyone with a conscience to speak up. 

I am an atheist and I don't respect any religion. Any religious ideas that is. On the other hand, I respect people of all religions. No one should be put through the kind of persecution Muslims are currently experiencing, or the humiliating conditions being suggested. Never Again has actually to mean something, or all those people who died at the hands of Hitler died in vain. As did those who died fighting him.

• Like 13

My local metro area includes a strong, diverse Muslim community, which includes

• international students and their families who are in this country to study at our excellent universities,
  • immigrant families from Africa, Asia, and the Middle East, who are making a new life in America for themselves and their children, often after leaving war-torn countries and experiencing hardships most Americans will never encounter, 
  • American-born citizens whose parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents moved here as far back as the 1950's,
  • African-American citizens whose ancestors, some of whom were Muslim, were brought here in chains a long time ago; these families converted to Islam as far back as the early 1900's. 

These folks are part of my community.  Many of our local Muslim families have been in American for hundreds of years - much, much longer than the families of some folks who are calling for their exile.  They are students, doctors, shop owners, engineers, street vendors, professors, restaurant workers, politicians, teachers, and stay-at-home moms.  They enrich the texture and culture of our city.  These families belong here.  We want them here.  We need them here.  They are a valuable part of our American metro area.  Their stories are American stories.  They belong here.  They are "us".

• Like 6

I was thinking about this today.  I think I will make it a point to patronize businesses owned by Muslims and people of Middle Eastern origin for the foreseeable future.

I'm active in the international community and have many Muslim friends and colleagues.  I can only imagine what they are feeling right now.

• Like 5

I don't know how supportive I was, but when we went to the park this afternoon there were two Muslim women there with their children. I spent a pleasurable hour chatting it up with them and generally having a great time. They were both homeschoolers as well so we talked about that some.

As we were leaving my son noticed he had a scrape on his ankle that was bleeding. All I had in the car were some napkins, so I told him to hold the napkin over the scrape until we got home. One of the women had a bandaid in her car and she went and got one for him. Once we got in the car, Levi said, "That was a super nice lady to give me a bandaid." I replied, "Yes, it was very kind of her." He never even mentioned her head covering or that she was Muslim. He just saw a woman who was nice to him. I was so happy that my children are being raised to value people based on their individual actions not fear or hate them because they are part of a certain racial, religious, sexual orientation, etc. group.

I guess my support comes from...wait for it this is shocking....treating them like I would anyone else I meet with respect and kindness. 

• Like 8

<snip> The world collectively declared "never again" after the atrocities of Hitler, and I feel the need to raise my voice today and speak in support of my fellow man. As a member of a religion with great persecution in its history, and which many consider to be "fringe," I will not sit back quietly and watch. I will do everything in my power to protect the rights and freedoms of my Muslim brothers and sisters.

Thanks for starting this thread. This is a conversation that needs to happen. 

I'm an atheist. Humanist might more accurately describe me, though. Because while I don't have a belief in any deity, what I do believe in is my fellow person. And hell if I'm going to sit by and just watch while anyone, of any religion, is persecuted solely for which God they choose to hold their faith to. 

Never again. 

• Like 6

We have welcomed many Muslim students into our home and our hearts. I've met their families, talked with their mothers, they've become a part of our family. The idea that these wonderful, kind, loving, faithful young men and women and their dear families are not welcomed here because of their faith is monstrous.

We are studying WWII right now, and I cried today, trying to explain to my sons that this is not just something that we read in the history books or dystopian fiction, something that happens in other times and places to other people. Horrifying ideas and words are being expressed right here, and right now, and we cannot stand by and just hope it goes away or that someone else will speak up.

It is our duty as human beings to say never, never, never, never again.

• Like 4