Menu

Science for 9th desperate

Say for instance your dd is not science minded.  In fact, she is horrific at it.  Like math, she needs something quick and to the point.  Less is more.  We are using Apologia Physical and it's a complete bust.  Open book tests have been done, using the notebook, etc., there's not much else I can do to help her though it.  So we need something that is easier, to the point, without all the complicated information.  I'd rather have her remember less and basics, than to forget grade level science and flunk it, which is totally where we're at.

So I'm not sure where to look.  We are currently doing HOD WG and I had sold the science (should NOT have) since we were not going to use HOD this year, a total lapse of brain cell use.  However, we did go back to it thankfully, but I no longer own that science and cannot afford to repurchase it.  I thought Apologia would be a good way to get started with textbook and more complicated terms, and since we did Exploration Education with HOD a few years ago, I thought she could handle "Physical".  Eye roll.  She couldn't handle General when I tried that in middle school either, so I don't know what I was thinking.

So we need something else for next semester.  If it's geared for younger students, then she'll have to move through the entire book in a semester.  I'm not sure what would be the best and most rigorous choice if I used a product geared toward 6th graders for her. Apologia (Fulbright?), God's Design Series, I haven't a clue. 

She's excellent and past grade level with lit/grammar/writer/history, since that's her bent, but math and science ... MUS has been a godsend.  I need something quick and to the point like MUS, but for science.

Have you looked at AGS textbooks? They are to the point, have easy tests, and are supposed to have grade-level content. Our school district recommends them for struggling students. One mom told me that they suggested she use a book per semester for her on-level kid and a book per year for her student with an IEP.

Amazon link - lots of cheap used copies

Pearson link

• Like 2

You could try CK12. The lessons are short; vocabulary, videos, comprehension questions, and quizzes included. Best of all it's free.

I sometimes use their science as a spine. I use their high school level texts for my 7th grader. You could probably do grade level with your DD.

• Like 2

Can you afford a tutor?  I have a math and science phobic daughter, who also excels at reading/history/writing/theater/music.  We got a tutor to help her with math and science last year and wow did it build her confidence and give her at least something of a grasp on subjects that simply are painful for her.  The tutor moved so this year (9th) we are going it alone but honestly next year it will be back to a tutor.  She needs special attention from someone who really knows what they are doing in these two fields.  She is so different from her 4 older siblings who did not struggle in these areas.  It really took adjusting on my part.  I feel I am still adjusting my expectations.

Have you looked at AGS textbooks? They are to the point, have easy tests, and are supposed to have grade-level content. Our school district recommends them for struggling students. One mom told me that they suggested she use a book per semester for her on-level kid and a book per year for her student with an IEP.

Amazon link - lots of cheap used copies

Pearson link

AGS or Power Basics, and watch some relevant videos.

Mother of Divine Grace has syllabi for low pressure science. Its 9th grade earth science is more of a writing course so that might work.

• Like 1

Can you afford a tutor?  I have a math and science phobic daughter, who also excels at reading/history/writing/theater/music.  We got a tutor to help her with math and science last year and wow did it build her confidence and give her at least something of a grasp on subjects that simply are painful for her.  The tutor moved so this year (9th) we are going it alone but honestly next year it will be back to a tutor.  She needs special attention from someone who really knows what they are doing in these two fields.  She is so different from her 4 older siblings who did not struggle in these areas.  It really took adjusting on my part.  I feel I am still adjusting my expectations.

I thought about co-op, but they require Science Fair.  #1 we live an hour and a half from where it's held, #2, I can't imagine spending all that time on science for several months, when it's not her bent.  IMO, it should be optional.  So that annoys me greatly when co-ops have this public school mentality of have-to's.  Otherwise, there's nothing I know of, mainly due to our location.

• Like 1

I'll spend some time looking up these programs.  I do prefer Christian materials.   Thanks ladies.  A lot here I have not heard of.  And FWIW, I don't need "Physical".  It really can be anything we haven't had. 

Edited by MrsMe

Oh, I would never put a science phobic/struggling kid in a co-op situation.  I think that would only add to the problems.  I am talking about a one on one tutor who knows the child struggles.  We found our tutor through an acquaintance.  She was an engineer who took off time to have her kids.  Then she was looking around for some way to supplement her dh's income.  What was great was that she could adapt things to my dd.  Halfway through pre-Algebra she realized my dd was still really struggling so they stopped and went back and did everything all over again.  This time things started to sink in.  She used Learn Math Fast and played lots of games and added in lots of people stuff, she had my dd reading books like Math Doesn't Suck (which my dd thought were stupid in tone but she really 'got' the math in them).  For science she would always do a demonstration or experiment first that my dd would get really into or she'd tell about the crazy way some concept was discovered, then she'd teach the concept.  So science, instead of being this abstract incomprehensible thing became a hands on thing or had an interesting personal element that my dd could hook the abstract thing onto.  Not that my dd is ever going to be a mathematician or scientist, but all this really helped her gain confidence and made things much, much less painful.  I simply don't have the energy, background knowledge or creativity in math and science to really do enough to make it come alive in the way dd needs.

You might look around to see if there is some retiree or mom looking to make a little money who loves math/science and can really teach to your child.  They don't even have to a background in education.  Just a love for the subject and a sense of fun.  Any fun kind of reinforcement is going to help.  Kids who struggle can't just teach themselves out of a book or a curriculum, they need a strong mentor.  That's the conclusion I've come to.  You could even find a local older high school student who loves this stuff. 

• Like 1

I think PacWorks looks interesting and very do-able.  If I didn't have my science-enthused husband, we would probably use those.  Timberdoodle carries them, along with some science videos, like Biology 101.  Christian perspective.

http://www.timberdoodle.com/Principles_Theories_Precepts_of_Biology_p/570-biology.htm#samples

• Like 1

I think PacWorks looks interesting and very do-able.  If I didn't have my science-enthused husband, we would probably use those.  Timberdoodle carries them, along with some science videos, like Biology 101.  Christian perspective.

http://www.timberdoodle.com/Principles_Theories_Precepts_of_Biology_p/570-biology.htm#samples

PAC Works is what HOD is using that I (sigh) sold. I should know better. She's always done relatively well with HOD science.  It just doesn't over-complicate.   If my dh had time, he could help, but that would be a hit or miss and she's already completely failed the first semester. I just really screwed up selling it.  I suppose I could do it without the lab..... 

If Apologia made a decent and interesting DVD...but they're awful.  Science just doesn't have to be awful, you know? 

PAC Works is what HOD is using that I (sigh) sold. I should know better. She's always done relatively well with HOD science.  It just doesn't over-complicate.   If my dh had time, he could help, but that would be a hit or miss and she's already completely failed the first semester. I just really screwed up selling it.  I suppose I could do it without the lab..... 

If Apologia made a decent and interesting DVD...but they're awful.  Science just doesn't have to be awful, you know? 

Do you know about Virtual Homeschool Group?  http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/course/category.php?id=62

The self-paced courses are free to sign up for, have audio feed of teaching material, online quizzes and tests, etc. 

Do you know about Virtual Homeschool Group?  http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/course/category.php?id=62

The self-paced courses are free to sign up for, have audio feed of teaching material, online quizzes and tests, etc. 

Yes, I did.  Our problem is that we live so far out that everything buffers and then plays for a few minutes, then buffers for another 5 then stalls.  Thanks, though.

• Like 1

AGS or Power Basics, and watch some relevant videos.

Mother of Divine Grace has syllabi for low pressure science. Its 9th grade earth science is more of a writing course so that might work.

I was going to recommend Power Basics too.

We are using the geography.  The information is there.  It's just not ridiculous amounts of information.  Not a ton of flash all over the pages.  The books are not 1000 pages long. 

• Like 1

I was going to recommend Power Basics too.

We are using the geography.  The information is there.  It's just not ridiculous amounts of information.  Not a ton of flash all over the pages.  The books are not 1000 pages long. 

I think I would have had a very hard time with all the bling in contemporary textbooks. When I looked at the Power Basics samples, the pages were so clean and the information was presented in a very straightforward way that was very appealing.

I go nuts for the clean formatting of a Foerster's text and the U.S. edition of Singapore PM.

• Like 2

I think I would have had a very hard time with all the bling in contemporary textbooks. When I looked at the Power Basics samples, the pages were so clean and the information was presented in a very straightforward way that was very appealing.

I go nuts for the clean formatting of a Foerster's text and the U.S. edition of Singapore PM.

I know, I can't stand all the bling.

My kids are less bothered by it.  I always don't know what to read first.  It's so distracting. 

• Like 3

We are enjoying ACE biology, which is another HoD pick, and actually written for 9th grade. If you skip the videos, it's very reasonably priced. (Although I would recommend the lab video.)

ETA: I'm not sure if Guesthollow Biology would be an option since you have to buy some materials, but it looks good. We love Wes Olson's videos.

Edited by birchbark
  • Like 1

We are enjoying ACE biology, which is another HoD pick, and actually written for 9th grade. If you skip the videos, it's very reasonably priced. (Although I would recommend the lab video.)

ETA: I'm not sure if Guesthollow Biology would be an option since you have to buy some materials, but it looks good. We love Wes Olson's videos.

Yes...I'll wait with ACE Bio for HOD WH.  ;)

I'll check the other two. Thanks.

I'm not sure if Guesthollow Biology would be an option since you have to buy some materials, but it looks good. 

We enjoyed Guest Hollow Biology (tweaked)!

I only know about Henrietta Lacks b/c of GH bio. Warning: adult themes (abuse, incest, language) and disturbing (lack of) medical care are in this book. I've never looked at my polished toe nails w/o thinking of Henrietta since reading this book. :(

Say for instance your dd is not science minded.  In fact, she is horrific at it.  Like math, she needs something quick and to the point.  Less is more.  We are using Apologia Physical and it's a complete bust.  Open book tests have been done, using the notebook, etc., there's not much else I can do to help her though it.  So we need something that is easier, to the point, without all the complicated information.  I'd rather have her remember less and basics, than to forget grade level science and flunk it, which is totally where we're at.

So I'm not sure where to look.  We are currently doing HOD WG and I had sold the science (should NOT have) since we were not going to use HOD this year, a total lapse of brain cell use.  However, we did go back to it thankfully, but I no longer own that science and cannot afford to repurchase it.  I thought Apologia would be a good way to get started with textbook and more complicated terms, and since we did Exploration Education with HOD a few years ago, I thought she could handle "Physical".  Eye roll.  She couldn't handle General when I tried that in middle school either, so I don't know what I was thinking.

So we need something else for next semester.  If it's geared for younger students, then she'll have to move through the entire book in a semester.  I'm not sure what would be the best and most rigorous choice if I used a product geared toward 6th graders for her. Apologia (Fulbright?), God's Design Series, I haven't a clue. 

She's excellent and past grade level with lit/grammar/writer/history, since that's her bent, but math and science ... MUS has been a godsend.  I need something quick and to the point like MUS, but for science.

My youngest, who is an 8th grader really enjoyed going through an older edition of Conceptual Physical Science  http://smile.amazon.com/Conceptual-Physical-Science-Paul-Hewitt/dp/0321516958/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449253055&sr=8-2&keywords=conceptual+physical+science

You can probably find the text and a workbook for under $20 in an older edition.  The book has distinct sections and you can decide what you will cover.  For example, if you've already done chemistry this year, you can skim or skip that section.

If you are in the position of considering buying something new, you might just decide to buy the HOD material that you used to have.  I know the feeling of selling something then deciding you need it again.  But if that is the best fit, it might be worth repurchasing.

You might also look at the science options at Kolbe Academy.  They do have enrolled online courses, but they also will sell just the course plans, which might be a good option for you too.  

You might also check your library for some of the Science 101 books.  I used the Oceanography book with my kids in 7/8 grade.  They would read a two page spread and take notes on it.  I also had them do several of the activities in related Boy Scout Merit Badge requirements.  Even if you aren't in scouting, the merit badge requirements are a pretty good framework for a beginner study of a topic.  I really like this site MeritBadge.org because they have the requirements, worksheets to fill out to document doing the requirements and also a number of links related to the subject.  

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 1

We bought a Kindle copy of Conceptual Integrated Science. I am a scientist and DS is a STEM kid, so I went for the college level book. Try the high school level "explorations" book for your DD. They are absolutely fantastic. This book will do us for a couple of years. I just pick the chapter I need, work through it with DS taking notes, watch the on-line videos, and work through the questions. The authors are lovely and if you have a problem you can just email them. Only need to add labs.

Another possibility is Ellen McHenry's stuff. It is pitched at slightly younger kids but is very meaty and might help your daughter get her confidence back. Elements is particularly good.

• Like 1

We bought a Kindle copy of Conceptual Integrated Science. I am a scientist and DS is a STEM kid, so I went for the college level book. Try the high school level "explorations" book for your DD. They are absolutely fantastic. This book will do us for a couple of years. I just pick the chapter I need, work through it with DS taking notes, watch the on-line videos, and work through the questions. The authors are lovely and if you have a problem you can just email them. Only need to add labs.

Another possibility is Ellen McHenry's stuff. It is pitched at slightly younger kids but is very meaty and might help your daughter get her confidence back. Elements is particularly good.

I have had both the Conceptual Physical Science and Conceptual Integrated Science.  The content of the two books was very similar.  I think the Physical Science version lacked the Biology that was in Integrated Science.

I also really liked this book.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this will work for you for next semester, but maybe next year?

chem-banner.jpg

I designed it for non-science type kids who need something different than the traditional high school science (or science crazy kids who want something as a core type curriculum to add more science to their day). There is NO math and it's totally practical. Much of the chemistry is learned via cooking rather than crazy labs (so you get to develop some cooking skills, too!), and I try to get everything to tie to "real" life rather than the abstract. There also isn't a lot of the type of work that bogs a lot of students down. I am making some study questions, but they are totally optional. The whole curriculum is very flexible and you can adapt it to be more or less, depending on how many activities your student does, etc.

Here's a pic of most of the books used for the year as there is NO textbook. I think that keeps things fresh and interesting, and keeps students from being overwhelmed by a huge boring chemistry text, lol. It also ties in a bit of history and whatnot. 

chem-books.jpg

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions. I'm finishing it up and it should be ready by January sometime (hopefully sooner rather than later).

It's not going to be very expensive (compared to other curricula) and you can get most of the books via the library. Most of the videos are free on YouTube with a few exceptions.

Again - not sure if it will help you now, but you could do half of it this semester and then half in the fall, as it's not tied to a textbook.

• Like 8

chem-banner.jpg

I designed it for non-science type kids who need something different than the traditional high school science (or science crazy kids who want something as a core type curriculum to add more science to their day). There is NO math and it's totally practical. Much of the chemistry is learned via cooking rather than crazy labs (so you get to develop some cooking skills, too!), and I try to get everything to tie to "real" life rather than the abstract. There also isn't a lot of the type of work that bogs a lot of students down. I am making some study questions, but they are totally optional. The whole curriculum is very flexible and you can adapt it to be more or less, depending on how many activities your student does, etc.

Here's a pic of most of the books used for the year as there is NO textbook. I think that keeps things fresh and interesting, and keeps students from being overwhelmed by a huge boring chemistry text, lol. It also ties in a bit of history and whatnot. 

chem-books.jpg

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions. I'm finishing it up and it should be ready by January sometime (hopefully sooner rather than later).

It's not going to be very expensive (compared to other curricula) and you can get most of the books via the library. Most of the videos are free on YouTube with a few exceptions.

Again - not sure if it will help you now, but you could do half of it this semester and then half in the fall, as it's not tied to a textbook.

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!

Thanks!! I made it in honor of my daughter who nearly cried (er, maybe she actually did, lol) when we had to do Apologia and other curricula we tried. She hated every fat science textbook I threw at her. I wish I had it when she was homeschooling (she's almost 25 now, lol)...but I'm hoping it will help someone else. Kids are not one-size-fits-all, and unfortunately, when it comes to science in high school, that's kind of how they are treated. It's my goal to make more curricula like the one above for those who don't fit in the box. :-)

My son is in that category as well. He wants to be a police officer and doesn't need/want a traditional chem course. It would bore him to tears and just isn't a fit. However, he started reading the chem books pictured above, as I've been working on this curriculum, just because they are so interesting. Then he asked me to change his science for the year to this, lol. I was happy to oblige. Next semester is going to be my last bit of homeschooling...sigh...but that's another topic. At least I'll have more time to make more curricula!  :lol:

I LOVE science. I want non-sciencey (um, is that a word?) and math-hating high schoolers to learn that they can love it too, or at least tolerate it, haha. ;-) I also think this chem course is much more practical in many ways. A lot of students are not going on to be chemistry majors or the like. Learning traditional chemistry for some of them is like trying to learn gooblety-gook. Why not learn stuff they will actually use on a regular basis and that will help them understand the world around them better?

Anyway, it totally makes my day that you love it. I hope more people do, too, lol...because I'm trying to justify working at this type of thing as a small business instead of having to do something else when the kiddo moves out!  ;)

• Like 3

Thanks!! I made it in honor of my daughter who nearly cried (er, maybe she actually did, lol) when we had to do Apologia and other curricula we tried. She hated every fat science textbook I threw at her. I wish I had it when she was homeschooling (she's almost 25 now, lol)...but I'm hoping it will help someone else. Kids are not one-size-fits-all, and unfortunately, when it comes to science in high school, that's kind of how they are treated. It's my goal to make more curricula like the one above for those who don't fit in the box. :-)

I LOVE science. I want non-sciencey (um, is that a word?) and math-hating high schoolers to learn that they can love it too, or at least tolerate it, haha. ;-) I also think this chem course is much more practical in many ways. A lot of students are not going on to be chemistry majors or the like. Learning traditional chemistry for some of them is like trying to learn gooblety-gook. Why not learn stuff they will actually use on a regular basis and that will help them understand the world around them better?

Anyway, it totally makes my day that you love it. I hope more people do, too, lol...because I'm trying to justify working at this type of thing as a small business instead of having to do something else when the kiddo moves out!  ;)

Amen to everything you said here.  For a non-sciency person, I was contemplating going back to a general in a very low grade level just for her to understand it, because isn't that what it's about?    Yes...learn stuff they'll use, not just not understand it so it can go on a transcript. It's why I homeschool!  Finally, someone gets it!  And FWIW, Apologia Physical is so boring and I find Apologia overkill for those who's bent it is not, as is other textbooks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoyed Guest Hollow Biology (tweaked)!

I only know about Henrietta Lacks b/c of GH bio. Warning: adult themes (abuse, incest, language) and disturbing (lack of) medical care are in this book. I've never looked at my polished toe nails w/o thinking of Henrietta since reading this book. :(

Thank you for posting this.  GH is on my short list for next year (9th), and I'd rather know this than not. 

• Like 1

chem-banner.jpg

chem-books.jpg

Just so you know, I :001_wub:  you.  Thank you so much for sharing all of your hard work!  What a blessing you are and have been to so many people!

• Like 2

chem-banner.jpg

chem-books.jpg

This looks great! We're done w/ chem now, but used a lot of the titles you suggested before this re-vamping. Great stuff!

We love you, Jenn!