Menu

Do I take this food or not?

cjzimmer1

So we are going to a community dinner at our church today.  I'm bringing a pan of apple pie bars.  Toddler son opened the fridge and snatched a piece of crust from the top of the corner piece.  The rest of the pan is untouched.

I was already planning on pre-cutting the bars.

So do I take the pan with the damaged bar removed?  I think this looks really weird like someone couldn't wait to eat them.

Do I not take them?  This also feels weird since I said I would bring them

Do I scoop them out and put them on another dish?  (this too will be weird since I would end up making two platters and I don't have any nice platters so it would just be some random dishes and they will be moving them to plates when I get there anyways)

I would make more but there is no time since they are best when chilled overnight.

I'd take it, just make it even (an even square) and put the serving utensil there. Honestly, when I see someone has already taken a piece, I'm more likely to eat it! I know it makes no sense but I am always reluctant to be the first person to cut into a nice new crust.

• Like 2

You could put one on a nice platter, and bring the other in the pan.

There's lots of reasons someone might take the things out of the pan. Maybe you only had one pan. Or you needed the pan for something else? 

ETA: but realistically speaking, I probably wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd just leave it in the pan with the piece missing.

Edited by Dust
  • Like 1

Take em.

But if it were me I would cut them out, take them out of the pan, and put them on Chinette plates with plastic over them so they are easy to either serve or dispense and the plates can be thrown away. Now, normally I deplore throwaway dishes, LOL, but this is so defensible in this situation and would be sure to spur imitation next time.  

Well he basically ripped the entire top layer of crust of the one piece.  So it was really obvious.  I also discovered upon retrieving them from the fridge that he stole a few edges but they weren't so obvious.  I make these bars nearly every month for bake sales at church.  Everyone knows how they are normally displayed and since I make them so often I can't justify that I was checking they taste okay (not to mention I HATE apple pie so I wouldn't taste test them anyways).  But I scrummaged around and found some flat aluminum pans.  I cut up the bars minus the truly offending piece and figured that way I didn't have to try to retrieve my pan at the end and there was less dishes to wash.  Made me feel better about not taking them like I normally do. And since almost half of them were eaten before the meal was ever served (don't get me started on that), apparently no one else was as bothered as I was.

• Like 2