Menu

Ramen noodles are a traditional side, right?

beaners

I'm letting my kids iron out our Thanksgiving menu. 3 of them independently suggested we need ramen noodles. I am certain I never served them in the past! But if the kids really want them, it won't hurt me to spend three minutes cooking them, along with the twenty other foods they have planned. What crazy things will you be making?

• Like 3

Huh, never heard of ramen as a side. It's more like the basis of a main dish, like spaghetti--you make it and put stuff on top to make it dinner-y. But I suppose if your dc knew that they'd insist on replacing your other foods with an all-ramen T-day. :laugh:

We usually have pizza for T-day but this year we're having ham. :p

When we first moved 1000 miles away from extended family, a group of similar families gathered for Thanksgiving.  Every family brought the one side dish that MADE Thanksgiving for them.  We were all shocked at what everyone brought.  One family brought noodles in a cheesy white sauce.  It was very pleasant.  Eventually we stopped having Thanksgiving as a group, but each family ended up adding a side to their tradition.  

• Like 2

We're not doing anything especially weird for Thanksgiving, but I'm always open to new traditions.

For us, Halloween requires fettuccine alfredo.  My mother made it one year, and it got in my head that turkey is for Thanksgiving, ham is for Christmas, and fettuccine is for Halloween. And so it is.

Ramen sounds fun, easy, and something to talk about every year! :-)

• Like 1

My MIL would like pimento cream cheese stuffed celery. Perhaps not as interesting as ramen noodles, but then again the ramen noodles would be eaten. Not sure if the celery would.

We have celery stuffed with onion cream cheese.  Always have had it.  It's soooo good. 

I'll bet ramen would be a great basis for a turkey soup made with the leftovers. There's some recipe I have that does an Asian flavors chicken noodle soup with ramen (toss out the packet). I have to admit, if my kids had requested that I would have been like, let's move that into the day after food...

We're not making anything weird, but we are (gasp) not having mashed potatoes or green beans. The green beans just aren't special at all (we have them all the time - at least once a week and sometimes more). The potatoes aren't super special and there are just too many things in the meal and I decided to cut them. So far no revolts but when I asked on FB what people thought someone did share that he knew a marriage that broke up over not serving enough mashed potatoes with turkey dinner so... basically I'll be sure to have some Adele cued up in case anyone freaks out.

• Like 1

I'm taking meatballs to Thanksgiving dinner at my SIL's house (brother's  wife). We have a lot of family coming in and many will stay  their house (because they have a giant house!) and I offered to bring some food for the whole weekend as well, since we have many teenage boys who eat a lot. She suggested meatballs and I was surprised that she wants them for Thanksgiving dinner! Oh well, works for me. :)

I'll bet ramen would be a great basis for a turkey soup made with the leftovers. There's some recipe I have that does an Asian flavors chicken noodle soup with ramen (toss out the packet). I have to admit, if my kids had requested that I would have been like, let's move that into the day after food...

We're not making anything weird, but we are (gasp) not having mashed potatoes or green beans. The green beans just aren't special at all (we have them all the time - at least once a week and sometimes more). The potatoes aren't super special and there are just too many things in the meal and I decided to cut them. So far no revolts but when I asked on FB what people thought someone did share that he knew a marriage that broke up over not serving enough mashed potatoes with turkey dinner so... basically I'll be sure to have some Adele cued up in case anyone freaks out.

Ok green beans I can see, but no mashed potatoes?! 

I love mashed potatoes.  With 50 pounds of butter in them.  LOL

Ok green beans I can see, but no mashed potatoes?! 

I love mashed potatoes.  With 50 pounds of butter in them.  LOL

We like them too... but I basically made a commitment to make them some extra times instead. There's no way I'll make dressing or sweet potato casserole or root veggie or something just randomly. I mean, maybe I should, but I don't. So the mashed potatoes will happen in a later context, I guess.

• Like 1

I'm taking meatballs to Thanksgiving dinner at my SIL's house (brother's  wife). We have a lot of family coming in and many will stay  their house (because they have a giant house!) and I offered to bring some food for the whole weekend as well, since we have many teenage boys who eat a lot. She suggested meatballs and I was surprised that she wants them for Thanksgiving dinner! Oh well, works for me. :)

Totally makes sense to me.  The meatballs will help stretch the bird and almost everyone likes them.  Veggies stretch the bird too, but it is a lot easy to get agreement to "Here son, have some more meatballs."  Then, "Here son, have some more green veggies".