Menu

What do I need to know about swimming?

Rachel

I enjoy running, but once the temperatures get below freezing, I struggle to breathe so I'm looking for new exercises that will keep me in shape until spring. My Y has a lap pool that's open all day long.

I took lessons as a kid but don't really remember proper swimming form. I swam a few laps this summer and realized swimming would be great exercise. My husband says I don't look as clueless swimming as I feel like I look.

So, what do I need to know? Do I need a swim cap? Googles? What do I look for in buying them? Have any good YouTube videos I can watch to learn good form?

For starting out you might want to look at the Total Immersion book. You can probably get it from your library. The author has a website , but I can't remember how much video he has on there.

Yes goggles.

Yes, cap. If you look down at my swimming hair thread there are multiple suggestions. Basically, get hair thoroughly wet with nonpool water, coat with conditioner or coconut oil , then put on the cap.

You also may need to put lotion on skin before swimming and after showering when done.

Check your rec center's schedule and ask the manager about best times. Lap swim only hours are not the best times to swim laps at my pool--each lane is full with at least 3 swimmers. In that situation, if you arent keeping the same pace it can make the workout less enjoyable, especially if one of the people in the lane is not nice.

• Like 3

I lap swim and am not very good:)  I do triathlons so I swim partially to train for those but also as an indoor alternative to when the weather is not good for running/biking/skiing.  I typically swim 2 days a week.  

You want goggles for sure.  They do not need to be fancy.  And most women do use swim caps to keep their hair from getting destroyed by the chemicals.  Pre-wet your hair in the shower before putting the cap on to keep your hair from absorbing pool water.  Again, an inexpensive cap is probably fine.

There are lots of videos online but I find it is difficult to see yourself so difficult to know what you need to work on.  Ask if your Y has private lessons.  One or two sessions is probably enough to know what to work on and what does not need work at this time.  

• Like 1

What Diana and skimomma said.  

And honestly I would recommend you seek out a personal instructor for at least a few pointer lessons.  It is hard to judge whether you have good form if you are the one swimming.  And you don't want to develop bad form inadvertently then have to go back and unlearn then relearn the correct technique.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

Ah, yes.....dealing with other lap swimmers....that is the best part.  

Our pool is only open during a few windows throughout the day and it is the ONLY public pool within two hours drive so it is war during those hours.  Usually the lifeguards help to sort out the people so that we get grouped by speed.  When they do not help things can get ugly fast.  Some people refuse to share.  Some people are pushy if they don't think you are fast enough.  Some people think lap swimming means taking up a whole lane just to chat with others.  I have learned which swimmers I am compatible with.  If I cannot get my own lane and my usual sharers are not there, I always go straight to the lifeguard for help in placement.  I think his issue deters a lot of would-be lap swimmers.  Be strong!

• Like 1

If you do go for private lessons, make sure you find an instructor with training. I've worked at a Y where anyone on the aquatics staff could give lessons and people who taught group lessons had no instructor training (YMCA, red cross or anything else). I there are other facilities that are loosy goosy on this. I also know other Ys are better. Anyway, ask about certifications and background (swim team, coaching, training in smaller programs like Total Immersion, etc).

I had coworkers at my old facility who couldn't demonstrate proper strokes. I also had coworkers who were amazing swimmers who had no clue how explain and use drills to get someone to improve. So, you need to make sure you check out the background not just assume the facility will give you a decent instructor.

• Like 1

There are always at least 2 lanes open for laps, I think the times I would be able to go, the pool is usually empty except for the aquatic aerobics class at one end.

My y does have private instructors, I'll check into the cost.

Is there a couch to 5k equivalent for swimming?

Basically, get hair thoroughly wet with nonpool water, coat with conditioner or coconut oil , then put on the cap.

You also may need to put lotion on skin before swimming and after showering when done.

I haven't read the other thread, but these two statements jumped out at me. I've always been taught that one should rinse off all lotions and such before entering a pool. 

Yes, cap. If you look down at my swimming hair thread there are multiple suggestions. Basically, get hair thoroughly wet with nonpool water, coat with conditioner or coconut oil , then put on the cap.

At the pool I swim at anyone caught doing this would be asked to shower thoroughly before entering the water and if they continued asked not to come back.  It can damage the pool (and leave the water rather gross if a lot of people did it).  

I swim a fair amount and both of my daughters are in the pool 5 days a week for team practice.  If you are diligent about thoroughly wetting your hair before putting on your cap and then washing and conditioning well after every swim you should be fine.  Once a month or so we use a shampoo designed to strip the chlorine out of hair and then a deep conditioning treatment on each of them as well.  You also need to be diligent about thoroughly washing your skin and using lotion after each swim.

• Like 1

At the pool I swim at anyone caught doing this would be asked to shower thoroughly before entering the water and if they continued asked not to come back. It can damage the pool (and leave the water rather gross if a lot of people did it).

I swim a fair amount and both of my daughters are in the pool 5 days a week for team practice. If you are diligent about thoroughly wetting your hair before putting on your cap and then washing and conditioning well after every swim you should be fine. Once a month or so we use a shampoo designed to strip the chlorine out of hair and then a deep conditioning treatment on each of them as well. You also need to be diligent about thoroughly washing your skin and using lotion after each swim.

If you go in the shower, wet hair, put conditioner on, how is anyone going to know? It looks like wet hair.

Honestly, my employer wants me in the water a lot. They aren't going to stop me because they count on me. I'm reliable and very good at my job.

In summer people coat themselves with sunscreen and swim. In fact my pool gives out sunscreen. The gets into filters too.

Dealing with this means changing out mechanical filtration material more often than if only perfectly clean people swam.

Don't worry what you look like, just swim. I am slow, have no form and don't care.

I thankfully swim at a huge pool complex so no sharing lanes ( done that and it can stink, people can be such idiots)

I have short hair and don't wear a swim cap. I hate how my head feels like it is being compressed.

I wear glasses and have prescription goggles I adore (they are not even expensive)

I use a swim shampoo and then regular shampoo. Swim shampoo makes a huge difference. Swimoutlet.com is a great source for everything.

• Like 1

Don't worry what you look like, just swim. I am slow, have no form and don't care.

I thankfully swim at a huge pool complex so no sharing lanes ( done that and it can stink, people can be such idiots)

I have short hair and don't wear a swim cap. I hate how my head feels like it is being compressed.

I wear glasses and have prescription goggles I adore (they are not even expensive)

I use a swim shampoo and then regular shampoo. Swim shampoo makes a huge difference. Swimoutlet.com is a great source for everything.

Where did you get your googles? I have only found pricey ones. I used to swim without my glasses but now that I bring my children to the pool, I need to actually see.

Edited by Acorn

Where did you get your googles? I have only found pricey ones. I used to swim without my glasses but now that I bring my children to the pool, I need to actually see.

I bought my ds's prescription goggles at swim outlet online.  There is also a local run/swim store that sells prescription goggles, so it might be worth calling around to see if there is something like that near you.  I think they run about $20 a pair at the local place.

I recommend taking some lessons.  I took an adult improvers lesson series in my thirties.  The teacher took apart my stroke, removing both bad teaching and bad habits.  I'm not a great swimmer now (I find it very boring so I don't do it much) but my strokes are much more efficient and satisfying, and I no longer get out of breath when swimming crawl.

See if there is a masters group!!  Its swim team for grown ups (so a bit more laid back).  The coaches can help with stroke development, there is a group of people there to help (even the speedy ones are cool with hanging with the newbies).  In my group there is a group that calls ourselves the guppies who all started together and learned together...I never met them until I started swimming but it is so much fun.  So check and see if there is one locally and give it a try.

• Like 1

I enjoy running, but once the temperatures get below freezing, I struggle to breathe so I'm looking for new exercises that will keep me in shape until spring. My Y has a lap pool that's open all day long.

I took lessons as a kid but don't really remember proper swimming form. I swam a few laps this summer and realized swimming would be great exercise. My husband says I don't look as clueless swimming as I feel like I look.

So, what do I need to know? Do I need a swim cap? Googles? What do I look for in buying them? Have any good YouTube videos I can watch to learn good form?

At most local swim clubs, they have what's called the Master's program.  You get some basic coaching and you can go swim at meets as an adult.  It's lots of fun.  I only did it for a few months, but it was neat.  Some of the coaches put more effort than others, and generally the Masters program is tacked onto their real bread-and-butter, the kids program, so usually you will find yourself with a coach that is actually busy coaching the kids, and then comes and does what he can with the Masters in between sets.

Just like anything else there are super serious masters swimmers and super serious masters coaches, and of course you get what you pay for. Our club is only 60.00 a month for unlimited dedicated swim lanes and coaching 4x per week...a great deal.  And, it wasn't super high pressure.

Michael Phelps has great videos but just like anything else a real in person coach makes it more motivating, and he or she will catch your problems and work with you more specifically.

• Like 1

Yes, the Masters program...  They usually meet early in the morning, costs are minimal, they'll help you get not only back to speed but faster than you were before in no time.

You might also end up with a new group of friends or considering doing a triathlon!