Menu

Has anyone else thought Caddie Woodlawn was boring?

Shasta Mom

I read it in 4th grade, and remember being rather underwhelmed. I made my kids read it last year (when we were studying the time period), and they did read it, but also had kind of an "eh" response to it. I didn't re-read it, so I don't have a fresh perspective, but considering my own opinion at that age, it's hard to argue.

I know it gets rave reviews all over. If I'm looking for a book on pioneers, I'll take Little House any day. We listened to those on CD, and were all entrhalled, even me, who read them all (and loved them!) as a child as well. When we ended, they wanted to start again at the beginning!

Actually, we have had a similar experience here. Dd will read almost anything and enjoy it. She has read many difficult to read classics repeatedly. But Caddie Woodlawn was not a hit. I tried to read it out loud to her but lost interest myself.

I am glad we are not alone. That being said, I may still require dd to read it this year as we are studying American history and I think it is good practice to read things that are outside one's field of enjoyment.

Speaking of this.... has anyone seen the movie? I just rented it from Netflix even though it didn't get the best reviews.

No, but if is good would you let us know. It maybe enough for dd to finally get the motivation to read it cover to cover. :tongue_smilie:

LOL, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder! We just finished Caddie Woodlawn yesterday and dd8 and I both loved the book. I thought it got off to a slow start and I wasn't impressed either until about halfway through the book. Once the characters were fully developed and interesting things began to occur, we were hooked. I know so many people love the Little House Series, but that's one I've never enjoyed.

BTW, we're studying early U.S. history this year... anyone care to recommend their "must-reads"? I have most of the Sonlight core 3/4 books, but I'd love to know of any that really stood out for you.

Thanks!

That's so funny--Caddie is one of my fav's, but she has to grow on you. The vocab is more complex than LH, and the descriptions are definitely longer! I think it may be the descriptive passages in the beginning that turn people off. There's no "payoff" in that first chapter until the very end of it, and even then, kids have to know just why Caddie would be so embarrassed at what happened. There's just a great deal of "backstory" and cultural stuff that is revealed a little later in the book.

I think some read Caddie too early. The major issue in the book is her growing into womanhood, and what that looks like in her own experience. So, perhaps waiting for Caddie until 10 or 12 would be better.

I love Caddie Woodlawn, and so does dd8. But we re-read the LH books over and over, because they are less challenging.

I didn't like Ginger Pye that much either; luckily it got "lost". I do admit that I got more interested in Caddie as it went on (we just finished it last night) but the reading never snagged me. When I compare it to Montgomery's writing of Anne of Green Gables, I find the scale bottomed out on Anne's side.

One of my favorite quotes EVER comes from Caddie Woodlawn. Her father is talking to her:

"It's a strange thing, but somehow we expect more of girls than of boys. It is the sisters and wives and mothers, you know, Caddie, who keep the world sweet and beautiful. What a rough world it would be if there were only men and boys in it, doing things in their rough way! A woman's task is to teach them gentleness and courtesy and love and kindness. It's a big task, too, Caddie - harder than cutting trees or building mills or damming rivers. It takes nerve and courage and patience, but good women have those things. They have them just as much as the men who build bridges and carve roads through the wilderness. A woman's work is something fine and noble to grow up to, and it is just as important as a man's. But no man could ever do it so well. I don't want you to be the silly, affected person with fine clothes and manners, whom folks sometimes call a lady. No, that is not what I want for you, my little girl. I want you to be a woman with a wise and understanding heart, healthy in body and honest in mind."

When we finished this book a few months ago, I was sobbing as I read this section out loud. It is immensely inspiring to me, who used to design roads and bridges. I've traded that part of life in and now I'm trying to teach gentleness and courtesy and love and kindness. And it is much harder to do that than it was to design a road.

Keep reading! You may end up loving it.

Staci