Menu

Kitchen knife skills----how do I TEACH these to my kids?

Ottakee

Tonight I had 3 of my 4 in the kitchen with paring knives peeling and cutting up apples for apple crisp.  It was pretty clear that they dont' have a clue on how to properly hold/use a knife.  I don't ever remember being taught, I just do it.  I am a lefty so while that doesn't seem like it would make a difference in teaching them it does seem to.

Are there any good books, videos, websites, etc. for teaching knife skills to kids?  I know they are a bit older but we need beginner 101 lessons.

I want them to be safe with knives as well as someone efficient.

• Like 2

You can try what I did, and cut off your thumbtip. Just a teensy bit. It encourages the kids to be extra careful with the knife. :P

Seriously, I started by doing side-by-side cutting. I'd cut half while they cut half. Or we'd take turns. I'd demo, kid would try, I'd do a bit more demo for correction/additional instruction.

And I tell them to cut slow and smart, and to not get in a hurry like Mom.

Free video class on Craftsy: http://www.craftsy.com/class/complete-knife-skills/560?SSAID=314743&sasClickId=b1jz_g2kjq

This site is for younger kids but it's got some good tips and pictures for beginners: http://www.eatyourbeets.com/kitchen-tips/7-tips-for-teaching-your-kids-how-to-use-a-knife/

I find it harder to use a paring knife. I'm much better with my chef's knife, especially if I keep it properly sharpened. No one ever taught me how to use a knife, so I learned from watching lots of Food Network shows (Rachael Ray and Emeril mostly) when I was newly married. I also practiced a lot. Now that I'm teaching my kids, I started their practice on easier to cut foods--deli meats, cheese, softer fruits and veggies (peeled/cored pineapple, kiwi, zucchini, and so on), and herbs. Once I know they can keep their fingers out of the way, they move on to food that require more force such as carrots, celery, apples, etc. I don't let them cut raw peeled potatoes because the starch makes them slippery and easier to have an accident.