Menu

Viral video of father explaining Paris attack to small child

mathnerd

It is being called a "master class" in parenting - this father-son pair is world famous after the little boy who was afraid of terrorists was comforted by the father on TV.

ETA: changed to a working link - http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/paris-terror-attacks/fathers-talk-son-about-paris-terror-attack-goes-viral-n464981

• Like 4

The link didn't work for me, but this did.  It's wonderful. http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2015/11/17/father-explains-paris-terror-attacks-to-young-son-orig.cnn

I like Marcus Luttrell's "master class" better. 

https://campaign.nra.org/videos/freedoms-safest-place/my-freedom-foundation/

Wow, what a hateful thing to post on a thread promoting peace and tolerance.  That was just evil.  Very ISIS like, actually.  Amazing how similar they are.  Extremists are more alike than different.   Talk like that helps them more than hurting them.  

• Like 16

I like Marcus Luttrell's "master class" better. 

https://campaign.nra.org/videos/freedoms-safest-place/my-freedom-foundation/

The first example is an example of gentleness and love in the times of terror and fear, which is not easy to pull off. It is quiet resistance and the care of the next generation what spoke to me.

The two messages don't have to be the opposites, but it is how we talk to children that matters. If Palestinian children were not taught hatred, Palestinian adults wouldn't be celebrating on the streets after the attacks in Paris.

There's time for telling the terrorirsts that we won't back down, and there's time for telling our children that flowers and candles protect us and make us stronger. It is an interesting dichotomy and to some it might not even make sense, but I think that's the only way to end terrorism.

He's a little, little boy... trying to make sense where doing so is impossible, for anyone at any age... and his father is giving him the respect and space to process while at the same time trying to provide him with reassurance when that too is impossible... (on the one hand: we're not going to have to move, France is our home; on the other where would we go, there are bad guys everywhere   :crying: )

There's no *good* way to have such a conversation... but showing the boy the support of their community and honoring the memory of the dead, by pointing to symbols like flowers and candles, is as good as any.  

God help us all to hold on to the light...

• Like 14

Wow, what a hateful thing to post on a thread promoting peace and tolerance.  That was just evil.  Very ISIS like, actually.  Amazing how similar they are.  Extremists are more alike than different.   Talk like that helps them more than hurting them.  

Marcus Luttrell is a retired Navy SEAL.  Are you really calling him an extremist and comparing him to ISIS?  

Being prepared to defend your family is nothing at all like what just happened in Paris.  (And in case you don't know, this video has been airing for quite awhile on tv;  it wasn't just produced following the Paris attacks.)

I heard a radio interview with our county sheriff this afternoon.  He has just requested that all 700 of his deputies start carrying their weapons and extra magazines when they are off duty in case something like Paris happens here.  Thankfully he didn't suggest flowers and candles.    (He also said that some places won't allow off-duty officers to carry their weapons...he gave an example of the NFL not allowing off-duty officers to carry their weapons at the stadiums.)

I support a parent's right to tell a child whatever he/she thinks is best.  But I would rather not spit in the faces of the military, police, and law-abiding citizens who carry guns by teaching children that guns are the enemy since it would not be politically correct/peaceful/tolerant to name the true enemy.

• Like 3

Marcus Luttrell is a retired Navy SEAL.  Are you really calling him an extremist and comparing him to ISIS?  

Being prepared to defend your family is nothing at all like what just happened in Paris.  (And in case you don't know, this video has been airing for quite awhile on tv;  it wasn't just produced following the Paris attacks.)

I heard a radio interview with our county sheriff this afternoon.  He has just requested that all 700 of his deputies start carrying their weapons and extra magazines when they are off duty in case something like Paris happens here.  Thankfully he didn't suggest flowers and candles.    (He also said that some places won't allow off-duty officers to carry their weapons...he gave an example of the NFL not allowing off-duty officers to carry their weapons at the stadiums.)

I support a parent's right to tell a child whatever he/she thinks is best.  But I would rather not spit in the faces of the military, police, and law-abiding citizens who carry guns by teaching children that guns are the enemy since it would not be politically correct/peaceful/tolerant to name the true enemy.

Yes, and I'd do so to his face. Being a member of the military or police does not make one a saint or perfect. I work in domestic violence. I know that domestic violence indexes higher in those two professions..  I respect people who serve, but I do not idolize them. 

I have family who has fought in every single American War (and "police action") since the American Revolution.  I'm not immune to what dying for one's country is all about.  The NRA has distorted the Constitution and is repulsive to me.  They do not espouse a well-regulated militia in any, way, shape, or form.   They are a lobby group which has hijacked the Constitution and I have zero respect for them or their beliefs.  Heck, because of them, terrorists (including right wing hate groups which are a bigger risk here than Muslim terrorist groups) can easily get as many weapons and as much ammunition as they want.   Look at our gun deaths compared to pretty much any other country in the world.  We don't learn.  We just have become immune to all of the suicides, domestic violence homicides (close to four per day...nearly always with a gun), accidental child shootings (110 per year), and mass shootings.  That is sad.  That is wrong. 

Your post was completely out of line in reply to a  "master class" on tolerance.

Having said that, no, I do not believe well-regulated guns are the enemy. Islam is not the enemy.  Intolerance and hatred is the enemy and it doesn't matter if it comes out of an American or Syrian's mouth.     It doesn't matter if they are Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or Agnostic.  That is the enemy.

• Like 13

The first example is an example of gentleness and love in the times of terror and fear, which is not easy to pull off. It is quiet resistance and the care of the next generation what spoke to me.

The two messages don't have to be the opposites, but it is how we talk to children that matters. If Palestinian children were not taught hatred, Palestinian adults wouldn't be celebrating on the streets after the attacks in Paris.

There's time for telling the terrorirsts that we won't back down, and there's time for telling our children that flowers and candles protect us and make us stronger. It is an interesting dichotomy and to some it might not even make sense, but I think that's the only way to end terrorism.

You're painting some pretty broad strokes here.  Not all Palestinian children are taught hatred.  Not even a majority.  Most are just happy to attend schools that aren't being bombed.  Not all, not even a majority, of Palestinian adults were celebrating in the streets, if any.   If you think you can claim this because you read that Muslims were celebrating in the streets after 9/11, know that the WTC attacks were condemned throughout the Muslim world and please read the bit about the Palestinians celebrating in the streets.  

Daesh is the enemy of 99.9% of the Muslims in the world....even the groups that we in the West consider extreme  You're aware, right, that the reason Beirut was bombed the day before was because Hezbollah has fighters in Syria fighting ISIS?  You're aware that even Al Qaeda has condemned Daesh as unIslamic?  The Taliban has condemned them?  Those are the Muslim extremist groups.... not to mention over 100 Islamic scholars and pretty much every Muslim country in the world.

Never forget (Muslims never can)...that the far majority of the victims of Muslim Terrorist groups are their fellow Muslims.  You do know that Muslims died in the Paris attacks, right?  You do realize that the Syrian Muslims who are fleeing Daesh have a choice between being tortured and murdered by them or tortured and murdered by Assad.  Their being Muslim doesn't matter.  

• Like 4

The look on the boy's face as he processed his father's words was priceless. What a perfect example of how a child can process and understand a difficult and complex concept. I would love to give all the children in the world, especially those in Syria and in the Middle East such comfort. 

• Like 11

Marcus Luttrell is a retired Navy SEAL. Are you really calling him an extremist and comparing him to ISIS?

Being prepared to defend your family is nothing at all like what just happened in Paris. (And in case you don't know, this video has been airing for quite awhile on tv; it wasn't just produced following the Paris attacks.)

I heard a radio interview with our county sheriff this afternoon. He has just requested that all 700 of his deputies start carrying their weapons and extra magazines when they are off duty in case something like Paris happens here. Thankfully he didn't suggest flowers and candles. (He also said that some places won't allow off-duty officers to carry their weapons...he gave an example of the NFL not allowing off-duty officers to carry their weapons at the stadiums.)

I support a parent's right to tell a child whatever he/she thinks is best. But I would rather not spit in the faces of the military, police, and law-abiding citizens who carry guns by teaching children that guns are the enemy since it would not be politically correct/peaceful/tolerant to name the true enemy.

Memorial candles and flowers are not spitting in the face of the police or military. There's protecting our physical safety. And there's protecting other things as well- mental health, healing, freedom to live even in the presence of risk and fear. No one is saying that flowers are a substitute for, say the officers risking their lives to find the rest of the people responsible for the attacks. But a flower can never the less protect that little boy in a real way if it helps him process the situation.

These aims are not diametrically opposed to each other.

• Like 11

The look on the boy's face as he processed his father's words was priceless. What a perfect example of how a child can process and understand a difficult and complex concept. I would love to give all the children in the world, especially those in Syria and in the Middle East such comfort. 

That was my take away as well.  Children are scared.  Children need to be comforted.  Children need to feel the adults are doing something to protect them.  Yes, the father's lesson about how flowers and candles are the memories that protect us from the evil and the scary and the darkness of the world probably was not understood by the child.  But the child was comforted.  That was enough for that minute.

• Like 10