Menu

Sofa (Vent?)

Petrichor

Furniture websites are driving me nuts! I wish I could search for "attached cushions." Does anyone know of a term for this? I know removable, washable cushions are a desirable feature to some, but I just want my couch to be one piece...

It drove me nuts when DS was small and would completely remove (all 16 cushions) from our couches, and I would have to put them all back just to sit. Multiple times a day. 

Now that we are looking for some new sofas, I'm looking to especially avoid that, since we will soon have another toddler in the house.

And at the same time, I don't want to shell out close to $1k for something that will potentially be colored on or destroyed by a new little one. 

I guess the sofas will be at least a year old by the time new kid is old enough to do any damage? And then my mind jumps to the 6yo and whether he will be the one who actually destroys the sofas. In your experience do todders, young kids, or teens do more damage to furniture? 

And of course, the sofas I really like the best are the fancy-shmancy traditional style ones, with a much higher price tag. Or the white leather ones. Or light blue or green cloth.

And why do the majority of sofas seem to be microfiber? Do people actually like that stuff? 

I find that DH does more damage than when my kids were toddlers. DH forgets that he has something in his back pockets or has brushed up against who knows what. That said I hate with a passion my couch with attached cushions. I can't take the cushions off to vacuum or wash the covers. Anything that goes in the cracks on the sides and back goes to the black hole. We have a slipcover on it now but it is just a pain.

• Like 1

I have similar issues. I am not looking for attached cushions, though. I'm looking for traditional styling that has only a few cushions. My old sofa has the pillow back that is supposed to be arranged just so and it has annoyed me for 17 years. The fabric of my couch has held up remarkably well, though. That was a mere stroke of luck. I do not like microfiber at all. I want either leather or a fabric like the one I have that has held up so well.

My kids have not been particularly hard on my couches at any age, but I think a lot of that is in what you allow.

• Like 1

My kids are 13 and 10 and still pull all the cushions off the couch--but only the one in the playroom. When we got a new one for the livingroom and moved the old one into the playroom there was a strict rule about not taking the new couch apart. What is it with kids and couch cushions??! :)

I worked for a furniture manufacturer 17 years ago...I chose the highest grade neutral fabric available. It has held up so so well. My toddler did no harm to it even though it was in 'his' living room. But I didn't allow food anywhere except his highchair, and he wasn't destructive in general . Teen boys are hard on furniture....they are so BIG and PLOP down....but then again the furniture is 17 years old.

I want leather next. Real leather. But it is expensive.