Menu

Can this meat be salvaged? (Not food safety related)

marbel

I took a chuck roast out of the freezer the other day and put it in the dutch oven to braise this afternoon.   We like chuck cooked long and slow till it's falling apart, to at least 180F if not more, like we do pulled pork.

Couple of hours later I went to check the temp.  It didn't look right.  It didn't act right.  I dug the wrapper out of the trash.

Turns out I braised the heck out of a london broil, which I know is not the name of a particular cut of meat but in any case is meant to be grilled or broiled to rare or, at most, medium. 

It is now well done, and dry and gray inside. Cooking it longer will not make it "fall-apart tender."  Ever.

But now, what can I do with it?  It won't do for cold cuts, as dry and overcooked as it is.  I can't think of any way to use it since it's so dry.

It was a big one, too. 

I would chop it up in fine pieces and add it to gravy.  It could be used in sandwiches, over potatoes, rice or toast.  Or I would add it to a casserole with lots of juice. sauce or gravy.  Perhaps a shepherd's pie.  Basically something that will provide the moisture that is lacking in the meat.

• Like 2

I would also suggest making it into a soup--- I actually use london broil cuts for soup meat-- I just cook it for a few hours.  I make a great beef vegetable soup with just about all the veggies in the supermarket.  (squash, zucc, red cabbage, toms, onion, pots, mushrooms,) anything else I see.  It is a family favorite.

and yes, the meat is tender

• Like 1

You're going to need to add in the fat and liquid you cooked out to make it palatable. Since meat doesn't work that way, you'll have to get creative. I'd try processing in my food processor and adding enchilada sauce, cheese, and any veggies you like for enchiladas. Incorporating it into some sort of soup or sauce seems like your only hope. It's not going to absorb fat and flavor like a sponge, so you have to make sure it's surrounded by fat and flavor to make it yummy. Maybe a shepherd's pie?

• Like 1

I guess chopping it into little bits is the way to go.  I will do that tomorrow (we went out for dinner tonight) and baggie it up for the freezer.  Then, I'll make soup and such. I like the enchilada idea.  Shepherd's pie?  I used to like that and then one day, poof! I couldn't stand it any more!

Thanks for the ideas.  I know how to cook but you know, sometimes you need a kick to figure something out.

• Like 1