Menu

Dr. Hive: chronic headache after birth?

imagine.more

So I gave birth 11 weeks ago exactly. I had an epidural for the first time this go around. Birth went great, 3 hours, no complications. I went in exhausted (was kinda in labor all night off and on so slept 2 hours) and hungry (gestational diabetes diet). Immediately after birth I ate, had water and juice, and blood sugars were great for all my readings on normal food. Blood pressure low/normal as usual for me. But I had a wicked headache, just awful! I'm prone to migraines so I wrote it off as exhaustion. But it never went away! It's been 11 weeks and I get a major headache and/or migraine every day starting when I wake up. I drink water, try caffeine (coke) and nothing gets rid of it. Ibuprofen can take the edge off a bit. I sleep 7 hours at night plus a 1-2 hour nap most days. I have hashimotos thyroidism but am on medication and it's been under control for two years now.

Anyone else have this after birth? Could it be an epidural migraine this far out? Anything else I should consider as a cause or treatment? I forgot to mention it at my 6 week appointment because I was nursing the baby, lol! I don't have a regular doctor yet because we moved. And I have a high pain tolerance so I mostly tune it out but it occasionally gets worse like tonight when it's in full-on nausea/vision spots/light sensitive migraine mode.

I am sorry you're suffering.

It could be possibly be a headache from the epidural...if the dura was punctured and it never healed. The headache is worse sitting and standing and better lying down, so the fact that it starts every morning makes me think it is possible.

The other thing I'm wondering is chronic dehydration that is giving you a headache.

• Like 3

It does feel better when laying down but doesn't go away. I was told epidural migraines go away completely when lying down, but maybe not?

I did think about chronic dehydration. I do drink a big glass of water every time I nurse because I always get thirsty when breastfeeding. But maybe for some reason I'm needing more water this time?

It does feel better when laying down but doesn't go away. I was told epidural migraines go away completely when lying down, but maybe not?

I did think about chronic dehydration. I do drink a big glass of water every time I nurse because I always get thirsty when breastfeeding. But maybe for some reason I'm needing more water this time?

My understanding is that it is a "mechanical" type issue. If your dura was punctured, you're leaking spinal fluid so the pain is from pressure changes around the brain. It might not completely go away lying down but it would feel worse sitting or standing.

I would definitely call your doc on Monday.

My other worry would be a blood pressure issue.

• Like 1

Oh you poor thing! I'd ask the doctor. I dimly remember reading that epidural headaches can last up to 3 months. But this would have been something I read over 13 years ago. It was the main reason I went with a natural childbirth. People thought I was being brave or something, but I wasn't. I was just scared of a 3 month long headache and figured that if I could get through the childbirth, at least the pain would end, but with an epidural headache it wouldn't end for 3 months.

You can double check my info, since it's a 13 year old memory.f

And again--you poor thing!

• Like 1

I'd definitely see a doctor. It could be hormonal, or as others suggested, an epidural migraine. In any case, I think a headache that persists that long really should be checked out. Do you think you could call or email your OB/GYN and get some direction from him or her, since it seems related to giving birth?

I'm praying you get relief soon--that's a long time to suffer bad headaches!

Oh you poor thing! I'd ask the doctor. I dimly remember reading that epidural headaches can last up to 3 months. But this would have been something I read over 13 years ago. It was the main reason I went with a natural childbirth. People thought I was being brave or something, but I wasn't. I was just scared of a 3 month long headache and figured that if I could get through the childbirth, at least the pain would end, but with an epidural headache it wouldn't end for 3 months.

You can double check my info, since it's a 13 year old memory.f

And again--you poor thing!

Lol, yeah the reason I went natural with my first three kids (including a lovely but intense homebirth) is because the epidural always seemed more trouble than it was worth. Plus I'm stubborn, haha! It was nice this time, not sure it was worth a 3 month headache.

I think I'll talk to my midwife monday and see if they think that's what it is. I'd just hate to do a blood patch and have it not work because it's something else! Needles are not my favorite and I'm immensely suspicious of doctors even when I know logically most are nice.

I had a spinal headache after one of my deliveries. I did get the blood patch done. It worked immediately. My headache also did not completely go away laying down but it was much better.

I would check in with your doctor.

I felt the pressure going up the back of my head. It was not a typical headache.

I hate medical procedures, but gladly went through the blood patch. It worked as they were doing it. But there's no way I could have lasted weeks with my spinal headache. I was vomiting and couldn't form a coherent sentence. It was horrible.

Another option they mentioned was a caffeine iv.

Good luck.

I hate medical procedures, but gladly went through the blood patch. It worked as they were doing it. But there's no way I could have lasted weeks with my spinal headache. I was vomiting and couldn't form a coherent sentence. It was horrible.

Another option they mentioned was a caffeine iv.

Good luck.

I am so sorry, that must have been awful!

My headache is usually not that bad, it ranges from an annoyance, like a tension headache, to migraine w/ nausea to occasional exertion headaches when I sneeze or stand up too suddenly. I definitely couldn't have lasted weeks if it was worse like you're describing!

My DH had several spinal taps with his chemo treatment.  After his last one, he had ongoing headache for about 2 weeks before going in for help.  (I can't imagine 11 weeks, ouch!)  Anyway, the blood patch fixed it immediately; DH couldn't believe he had waited so long for it (he was dreading more needles/poking).

I would highly recommend talking with your doctor about the blood patch. I had a spinal headache after a lumbar puncture and it was excruciating - the worse pain I've ever experienced. I was in the ER for two days, tried the caffeine IV with no success, before finally receiving the blood patch. It was a very simple procedure with no pain involved and it worked immediately.

My kid sister was flat on her back miserable with an epidural headache for several days after going home with her newborn, to the extent that she had to be taken in for a procedure (possibly the blood patch of which others have written?)  I would definately seek medical attention - no one should have to put up with such a bad headache if anything can be done to alliviate it. Good luck!

btw I hope I caught all my typoes - the spellcheck thingy is not helping me out here.

I am so sorry, that must have been awful!

My headache is usually not that bad, it ranges from an annoyance, like a tension headache, to migraine w/ nausea to occasional exertion headaches when I sneeze or stand up too suddenly. I definitely couldn't have lasted weeks if it was worse like you're describing!

Hormones can make migraines flare up. If you have allergies, hormones can make your allergies worse (this is ragweed season), and then you can have additional headaches and such with that. My allergies were very minor until I gave birth, then they went crazy.

I think you should find out your BP to be on the safe side. Chart it at different times each day--I was getting BP spikes once for a short while, and it was a lot like a migraine.

It could be a tension headache--if so some relaxations techniques and maybe a massage or chiropractor visit would do the trick. 

I get migraines, and I used to get tension headaches. They tension headaches are every bit as bad as a migraine (though usually not nauseating). You could be having one but not the other.

No epidural here, so I can't tell you about that.