Menu

Chemistry

Roadrunner

I am musing right now how to approach Chemistry for my DS 10. He wants to study chemistry next year (6th grade). In case he doesn't change his mind, I have narrowed it down to either Conceptual Chemistry or Spectrum Chemistry. Just to give a background, he will be through AoPS Intro to Algebra this year. He has also completed Plato middle school physical science course and BFSU 3 section on chem, so given his strong quantitative skills and thorough coverage of middle school sciences, I think maybe we should tackle high school books next year. 

This is what attracts me to Spectrum - It's thin! I have read that it covers the topics well, includes math, and doesn't have the overwhelming number of pages for a 6th grader to plow through. It seems like everything we are looking for, a course on a regular high school level that has math in it. The downside? No way to outhouse it. 

This is why I am also considering Conceptual Chemistry - There are online classes that use this book, so I could outsource! This text also has a good reputation. What I don't like about it is the lack of math, or so I am told, and it not being compact.

Can anybody compare those texts for me or just give me any advice? 

How about doing this coursera course with the book for summer 2016.  We use the 4th edition because my local library has copies.

Introduction to Chemistry​

https://www.coursera.org/course/chem99

Introductory Chemistry Essentials (4th Edition)    

http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Chemistry-Essentials-4th-Edition/dp/0321725999

Zumdahl's Chemistry 7th ed book is thick but nice for a reference​

​

How about doing this coursera course with the book for summer 2016. We use the 4th edition because my local library has copies.

Introduction to Chemistry​

https://www.coursera.org/course/chem99

Introductory Chemistry Essentials (4th Edition)

http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Chemistry-Essentials-4th-Edition/dp/0321725999

Zumdahl's Chemistry 7th ed book is thick but nice for a reference​

​

Zumdahl is college level text with a thousand pages, right? I think maybe Zumdahl would be good fit when we hit chemistry for high school credit, but too much for a 6th grader in terms off time commitment. I don't want anything that heavy yet.

This is what attracts me to Spectrum - It's thin! I have read that it covers the topics well, includes math, and doesn't have the overwhelming number of pages for a 6th grader to plow through. It seems like everything we are looking for, a course on a regular high school level that has math in it. The downside? No way to outhouse it. 

You can "outhouse" Spectrum Chemistry at Landry Academy (that wins for the goofiest autocorrect!) Trinqueta took the Pre-Chem class which uses Friendly Chemistry during their May term and then enrolled in the regular high school Chemistry class this year. The math was completely doable with a year of fairly basic Algebra (some Saxon, some Keys to, some EdX). She's currently doing AOPS Algebra 1 at WTM Academy.

The class does start with a prayer but Spectrum doesn't have much (any?) religious content and neither does the content portion of the class because they do follow the textbook. They don't follow the Spectrum labs. Instead they send you Home Science Tool's Classic Chemistry Kit (this is included in tuition and it's not a chintzy set). They also use some online labs. In general there's a lab every 2 weeks or so.

As always with Landry Academy, shop their sales during Black Friday or Christmas for the best deals on generic semesters and then enroll as soon as they open their registrations in February or March.

• Like 1

Zumdahl is college level text with a thousand pages, right? I think maybe Zumdahl would be good fit when we hit chemistry for high school credit, but too much for a 6th grader in terms off time commitment. I don't want anything that heavy yet.

Yes. As a reference, not to use as a textbook.

• Like 1

You can "outhouse" Spectrum Chemistry at Landry Academy (that wins for the goofiest autocorrect!) Trinqueta took the Pre-Chem class which uses Friendly Chemistry during their May term and then enrolled in the regular high school Chemistry class this year. The math was completely doable with a year of fairly basic Algebra (some Saxon, some Keys to, some EdX). She's currently doing AOPS Algebra 1 at WTM Academy.

The class does start with a prayer but Spectrum doesn't have much (any?) religious content and neither does the content portion of the class because they do follow the textbook. They don't follow the Spectrum labs. Instead they send you Home Science Tool's Classic Chemistry Kit (this is included in tuition and it's not a chintzy set). They also use some online labs. In general there's a lab every 2 weeks or so.

As always with Landry Academy, shop their sales during Black Friday or Christmas for the best deals on generic semesters and then enroll as soon as they open their registrations in February or March.

I didn't realize Landry used Spectrum. That sounds like a real option. Do you know why they swapped out Spectrum labs?

I didn't realize Landry used Spectrum. That sounds like a real option. Do you know why they swapped out Spectrum labs?

Probably because they couldn't get an affordable kit for them. They buy their kits in bulk from Home Science Tools and probably get a hefty discount. But that does mean they have to choose from the kits HST offers. I used generic semesters I bought for $80 each (2 because it's a year long class) so this is an incredible value for the tuition they charge. I am pleased with the teacher dd has had for both Pre-Chem and Chemistry, Mr. Leingang. He does a good job of explaining the concepts and posts useful videos regularly for extra explanations.

The lab equipment is nice and everything is included in the kit. You can look at it here:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/classic-chemistry-kit

Spectrum is a great fit for a kid doing regular high school chemistry in middle school. The chapters are short, there are questions after each and the parent's guide has complete solutions so you can help explain if you need to. It's been a good fit for us and I plan to use Landry again next year for physics (they use Conceptual Physics).

• Like 3

We used the ACS chemistry in the community with a Thane and Kosmos kit for DD as a "first" chemistry class. You need the teacher's manual because that's where all the instructions as to how to set up the experiments are. I found an older edition at a used book store and it worked fine-they haven't really changed the basic outline since the book came out in the late 1980's, only added stuff to make it fit into state standards and match exit exams better. This was what my chemistry professor father suggested. For DD, it was a good fit since it has more biochemistry and organic chem than the typical high school class, and those were the parts of chemistry where she needed more background.

We used the ACS chemistry in the community with a Thane and Kosmos kit for DD as a "first" chemistry class. You need the teacher's manual because that's where all the instructions as to how to set up the experiments are. I found an older edition at a used book store and it worked fine-they haven't really changed the basic outline since the book came out in the late 1980's, only added stuff to make it fit into state standards and match exit exams better. This was what my chemistry professor father suggested. For DD, it was a good fit since it has more biochemistry and organic chem than the typical high school class, and those were the parts of chemistry where she needed more background.

I have looked at ACS chem several times, and it just doesn't quite grab me. I can't figure why, but I have look at it and discounted it number of tines. Maybe I should look at it again. :)

I would not use Spectrum without the labs as they are designed to do part of the teaching--they aren't just added on the way most lab components are.  In fact, the reason we are doing Spectrum this year is because it offers a meaningful lab experience.  Otherwise we'd be using Zumdahl as a primary resource.

If religious content is an issue, be aware that you'll find occasional comments every so often in Spectrum.  And the last lesson in the textbook is essentially an essay that argues against evolution from the standpoint of chemistry.

So far I have been very pleased with Spectrum (even though I normally avoid nonsecular materials produced for the homeschool market).  It emphasizes what I think is important in a first course and does a good job of it.  My son and I both enjoy hearing the author's voice come through in his writing.  At this point, I can say it is the best science package I've encountered in 12 years of homeschooling.  (FWIW, my degree is in biochemistry and I worked in a biochemistry/chemistry lab for many years.)

• Like 3

I would not use Spectrum without the labs as they are designed to do part of the teaching--they aren't just added on the way most lab components are. In fact, the reason we are doing Spectrum this year is because it offers a meaningful lab experience. Otherwise we'd be using Zumdahl as a primary resource.

If religious content is an issue, be aware that you'll find occasional comments every so often in Spectrum. And the last lesson in the textbook is essentially an essay that argues against evolution from the standpoint of chemistry.

So far I have been very pleased with Spectrum (even though I normally avoid nonsecular materials produced for the homeschool market). It emphasizes what I think is important in a first course and does a good job of it. My son and I both enjoy hearing the author's voice come through in his writing. At this point, I can say it is the best science package I've encountered in 12 years of homeschooling. (FWIW, my degree is in biochemistry and I worked in a biochemistry/chemistry lab for many years.)

We will just toss the last chapter and secularize the rest. I really don't mind working around the religion.

Thanks for letting me know about the labs. Your review is very helpful and reinforces my impression of the curriculum.

What do you plan for a follow up?

What do you plan for a follow up?

My son will likely go to the CC for his last 1.5-3 years in high school and if he decides to take chemistry there, that will be the follow up.  So far, I've found the level of Spectrum to be comparable to Zumdahl's World of Chemistry which is almost identical content wise to Zumdahl's Introductory Chemistry: A Foundation.  I have no problem giving a high school credit for Spectrum.

I have looked at ACS chem several times, and it just doesn't quite grab me. I can't figure why, but I have look at it and discounted it number of tines. Maybe I should look at it again. :)

I have the ACS materials (I'm assuming that we're talking about Chemistry in the Community and not the middle school materials) and decided not to use them.  I was pretty sure my student would find the situations (the "community" part) to be contrived.  It also seemed to me that the hands on work was going to be too much for me to prepare for.

• Like 1

Just listening in. DS told me he wants to do chemistry the second semester of 6th and the Landry class would have been great for him. (He really enjoyed their biology lab intensive). I can't find a Landry chemistry intensive near us (ny/nj/pa) and i think the class is year long.

You could sign up for the Pre-Chemistry class. It uses Friendly Chemistry and has quite a few labs. They learn how to do a formal lab report. There's not much math, although there is some balancing of chemical reactions.

• Like 1

You could sign up for the Pre-Chemistry class. It uses Friendly Chemistry and has quite a few labs. They learn how to do a formal lab report. There's not much math, although there is some balancing of chemical reactions.

Ah, thanks for telling me about this, I was not aware. Alas, both sections appear full for spring :(

My son will likely go to the CC for his last 1.5-3 years in high school and if he decides to take chemistry there, that will be the follow up. So far, I've found the level of Spectrum to be comparable to Zumdahl's World of Chemistry which is almost identical content wise to Zumdahl's Introductory Chemistry: A Foundation. I have no problem giving a high school credit for Spectrum.

Zumdahl is over 1,000 pages! Spectrum is a thin book in comparison. How are they cramming in comparable content?

Zumdahl is over 1,000 pages! Spectrum is a thin book in comparison. How are they cramming in comparable content?

Actually, I said that the *level* of Spectrum was comparable to World of Chemistry (Zumdahl's high school text).  World of Chemistry is almost identical content-wise to Introductory Chemistry: A Foundation (meaning that the what's actually written on the page is almost identical).  

ETA: We are only a quarter of the way through the program, but from what I've seen so far, it appears that the reason that Spectrum can cram more into a smaller space is that there are fewer pictures, fewer examples, and (far) fewer practice problems.  He also gets to the point more quickly--sometimes too quickly.  When this happens, I pull out World of Chemistry for either extra explanation, extra practice, or both.

ETA2: And don't forget that the lab manual contains a significant amount of instruction, so that's added to the volume of the text.

• Like 1

Ah, thanks for telling me about this, I was not aware. Alas, both sections appear full for spring :(

Trinqueta took it in their May "summer" session. You have class every day and then about 1.5-2 hours of homework. It's a lot of work but doable if you put everything else on hold except for a bit of math and foreign language maintenance. We made the mistake of enrolling in two intensives, Mythology and Pre-Chem. T survived but it was too much and we'll never do that again. Thankfully she had specifically asked for the Mythology class and really loved it so she was highly motivated to do the work.

The registration for May and June sessions was in January or early February. They count as courses for the next year so you can use generics that you buy during Thanksgiving or Christmas sales for these classes. This is absolutely essential. The Landry sticker price is outrageously high, but I'd be surprised if many people paid it. It requires a bit of planning, but the price differential between buying generic semesters early and enrolling directly is HUGE (60-80% discount for buying early). 

My DD took PreChem through Landry Academy's Summer Intensive (3 weeks in May); she had Mr. Leingang, and his class was great.  She is now taking Chemistry through Landry Academy; Mrs. Prieskorn is teaching it.  It is another great class.  I would recommend both teachers and/or classes.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My DD took PreChem through Landry Academy's Summer Intensive (3 weeks in May); she had Mr. Leingang, and his class was great.  She is now taking Chemistry through Landry Academy; Mrs. Prieskorn is teaching it.  It is another great class.  I would recommend both teachers and/or classes.

I know this is an older thread, but I'm wondering how old your dd is/was.