Menu

Allow me to officially state that I'm glad we live in more modern times...

creekland

Still not convinced that drinking it twice per day really helped against the plague. ;) I'd have given it more of a possibility if they were using it instead of feces as part of the rub.

I once knew of a family that believed drinking their own urine was good for them!!!!!! Argggh!!

And there are parts of the world that still drink camel's urine! So gross!

I once knew of a family that believed drinking their own urine was good for them!!!!!! Argggh!!

And there are parts of the world that still drink camel's urine! So gross!

Another win for me/us with the birth lottery!  :hurray:

I'm all for trying many new foods/beverages, but there's a limit, esp when it's not a life/death situation.

• Like 3

I wouldn't so much mind the quicker types of death in the past, in the end, we all have pretty short lives, and often the things that immediately cause death aren't all that nice.  In the great scheme of things, I don't see much change there.

I really appreciate the fact though that I am now able to see because I can get very powerful glasses, and that they can do something for the UTIs I am prone to, and I don't have rotten teeth.  Those things make for a much more enjoyable daily life.

• Like 4

http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2012/03/12/dangerous-beauty-top-5-contaminated-beauty-products/

And if you have ever thought that applying lead to the face in the past was stupid.........well, we're not that far advanced.

Here's a different perspective on that: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/myths/_/lead-in-lipstick-the-facts

I really appreciate the fact though that I am now able to see because I can get very powerful glasses...

Isn't that the truth. I think about that with my boy who can hardly see.

I have another who would have been crippled by a club foot. Treatments are so good now he doesn't have any complications whatsoever bc of it.

• Like 2

One of the world’s largest fertility drug-producing companies makes use of the ovulation-enhancing hormone in human urine to make Pergonal, reported to have had US$855 million in sales in 1992.

More examples of commercial medical applications of urine and urea in use today include:

Murine Ear Drops and Murine Ear Wax Removal System

Ureaphil, a diuretic made from urea

Urofollotropin, a urine-extract fertility drug

Ureacin, a urea cream for skin problems

Amino-Cerv, a urea cream used for cervical treatments

Premarin, a urine-extract oestrogen for skin ulcers, burns, infected wounds, and other purposes

The difference between extracting a specific hormone and drinking piss. 

Science FTW.

• Like 5

The difference between extracting a specific hormone and drinking piss.

Science FTW.

Did I say it's the same?

No. Just that they use it in make- up and medicine.

Some people wouldn't realise that and find it odd. Finding out they are squirting urine in their ear, or splashing it on their faces.

So I was just mentioning it etc.....

Sorry for stepping on your toes. And *yes* I do realise that it would be in *small* amounts only. Geez......

Did I say it's the same?

Some people wouldn't realise that and find it odd. Finding out they are squirting urine in their ear, or splashing it on their faces.

There are many who don't realize insects are used in some red food coloring either.  ;)

And to top it all off, I once had a student who didn't realize the meat in a grocery store came from animals.  She thought only hunting killed animals.  I'm not sure how she aged without finding out that one to be honest.  But that's not common.

There are times I have fun teaching kids about life - like where smells come from... some of the components of sand/soil... why pools sometimes smell strongly of chlorine... what oysters really do, etc.  Most didn't know these.  ;)

Every once in a while I even mention Santa Claus.  

One really needs to homeschool if they want to shelter their kids from people like me.   :lol:

(DO NOT take that last statement to mean I think all homeschoolers shelter their kids!)

• Like 2

There are many who don't realize insects are used in some red food coloring either. ;)

And to top it all off, I once had a student who didn't realize the meat in a grocery store came from animals. She thought only hunting killed animals. I'm not sure how she aged without finding out that one to be honest. But that's not common.

There are times I have fun teaching kids about life - like where smells come from... some of the components of sand/soil... why pools sometimes smell strongly of chlorine... what oysters really do, etc. Most didn't know these. ;)

One really needs to homeschool if they want to shelter their kids from people like me. :lol:

(DO NOT take that last statement to mean I think all homeschoolers shelter their kids!)

Myth-wrecker. ;)

Didn't realize meat was previously an animal? *facepalm*

This is one of the things I have always liked about our lifestyle. My kids have seen the source of their food so often, since they were babies. They have seen fruits and vegetables grow from seed, have seen that food can be preserved by canning, have caught crabs and fish and eaten them that day, have collected eggs from the chickens which were then eaten and so on.

• Like 4

http://www.vrg.org/blog/2011/03/09/l-cysteine-in-bread-products-still-mostly-sourced-from-human-hair-duck-feathers-hog-hair/

Or hair in bread!!!!!!

There are many who don't realize insects are used in some red food coloring either. ;)

And to top it all off, I once had a student who didn't realize the meat in a grocery store came from animals. She thought only hunting killed animals. I'm not sure how she aged without finding out that one to be honest. But that's not common.

There are times I have fun teaching kids about life - like where smells come from... some of the components of sand/soil... why pools sometimes smell strongly of chlorine... what oysters really do, etc. Most didn't know these. ;)

One really needs to homeschool if they want to shelter their kids from people like me. :lol:

• Like 1

Did I say it's the same?

So I was just mentioning it etc.....

Sorry for stepping on your toes. And *yes* I do realise that it would be in *small* amounts only. Geez......

My comment was not to imply offense (?), but to show the value of understanding science, but thank you for considering my feelings. Knowing certain molecules and derivatives are used in products isn't the same as using the source in it's uncontaminated, original state. It's not like people open a bottle of cleanser from Mary Kay and are splashing cow urine on their face. It's good to know the difference, is what I'm saying. 

Do you mean they get the amino acid  L-cysteine by the hydrolysis of human hair, poultry feathers, or hog hair? Specific molecules extracted is hardly a strand or clump of hair, as implied ("hair in bread!!!!!!").

In any case, I agree with creekmom in that we won the birth lottery. We don't expect boar bile enemas or hemorrhoids to be treated with hot irons. We don't expect our doctors to prescribe blood letting or drinking the blood or crushed bone of humans. We don't feed our children dead and rotten mice to cure bed-wetting, or any number of bizarre "treatments" once assumed to be credible

Studying history definitely makes one more appreciative of the present! I get upset sometimes because it's worrisome raising a daughter in a world where women are less appreciated than men. Then last year, we studied Herodotus, and I read all the delightful stories of systematic forced prostitution and realized that 21st century America is actually a pretty nifty time and place to be a woman.

And yet, how sad it is that this isn't true worldwide. Even in the US, I'm not sure it can be claimed as true. 

Though, I do get what you're saying. Certainly, being an American woman in the 21st century is about as privileged as it comes.

• Like 2

And yet, how sad it is that this isn't true worldwide. Even in the US, I'm not sure it can be claimed as true.

Though, I do get what you're saying. Certainly, being an American woman in the 21st century is about as privileged as it comes.

Yes, thank you for the link, because at the end of that article, there is a link to another article listing organizations that are dedicated to helping. This is such an egregious human rights violation that it's overhwelming for me to even think about it. I am so glad that there are people out there who are doing so much more than just thinking about it. I want to start supporting one or more of these organizations.

I would also like to ask you or anyone else who knows a question about this. My personal awareness of this is relatively recent (just a few years). Is that because it is a recent phenomenon, or recently has grown? Or has this been happening for, I don't know, decades? centuries? and we're just now aware enough to do something about it?

• Like 1

And to top it all off, I once had a student who didn't realize the meat in a grocery store came from animals. She thought only hunting killed animals. I'm not sure how she aged without finding out that one to be honest. s!)

I purchased an item from a woman who had chickens. She also gave me a dozen eggs. When she learned my childhood exposure farm animals she shared a story about giving eggs to a city dwelling coworker.

Several weeks after giving him the eggs he asked when they would hatch. Blank stare. I don't have a rooster.

But you have eggs. . . .

This continued and she finally told him to go to the local Grange as they would be getting chicks in.

This was an adult who only knew chicks came from eggs. Not that eggs are different.

• Like 2

I'm very happy I live here and now.

If I had to be sick in the middle ages, I would have hoped I lived in a Muslim country.  They were far ahead of us in medicine/science.  Of course, washing five times per day and taking a weekly bath helped too.  (BBC's Horrible Histories has a great take on this.)

I read that modern chemo started with experiments the Germans did using mustard gas and such in WWII.  No idea if that's true or not.  

• Like 3

I purchased an item from a woman who had chickens. She also gave me a dozen eggs. When she learned my childhood exposure farm animals she shared a story about giving eggs to a city dwelling coworker.

Several weeks after giving him the eggs he asked when they would hatch. Blank stare. I don't have a rooster.

But you have eggs. . . .

This continued and she finally told him to go to the local Grange as they would be getting chicks in.

This was an adult who only knew chicks came from eggs. Not that eggs are different.

This one is actually a fairly common misconception in high school.  I suppose it has to do with fewer people living on farms.  Plenty of people assume eggs are fertile - just because.

What would be uncommon is someone from a city trying to hatch eggs I think.

• Like 1

This one is actually a fairly common misconception in high school.  I suppose it has to do with fewer people living on farms.  Plenty of people assume eggs are fertile - just because.

What would be uncommon is someone from a city trying to hatch eggs I think.

and then when those same people find the rare blood spot (well, of commercially available eggs), refuse to eat it, thinking there's something wrong with it.

my sil used to have a farm - she was saying how much she misses farm eggs . . . one of the few things she misses.

• Like 1