Menu

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

Sarah CB

Is anyone else doing their dinner tonight?  We'll have 10 here for dinner and I have my turkey in the oven.  I'm also making mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, steamed broccoli, and creamed corn.  I baked a pumpkin pie and a blueberry and partridgeberry pie.  Dd's boyfriend is bringing chocolate mousse.  Dd's boyfriend's roommate is bringing home-made bread.  

We have some nice wine and I may even make myself a Cosmopolitan.  

I didn't cover my turkey and now I'm worried that it's going to dry out...  

• Like 3

Happy Thanksgiving!  Your dinner sounds positively delicious, but hearing partridgeberry pie is a new one for me.  Should I google or wait for you to share what it is?

We celebrated last week when we were there and cheated by having Smoke's Thanksgiving Poutine... twice.  ;)

• Like 1

Happy Thanksgiving!  Your dinner sounds positively delicious, but hearing partridgeberry pie is a new one for me.  Should I google or wait for you to share what it is?

We celebrated last week when we were there and cheated by having Smoke's Thanksgiving Poutine... twice.   ;)

Thanksgiving poutine sounds like it would be really good.  

Partridgeberries are grown in Newfoundland.  They're sort of similar to cranberries, but not really.  They're small - a little smaller than wild blueberries.  The pie I made is 3/4 blueberry and 1/4 partridgeberry.  

There are all kinds of new things for us to try eating in Newfoundland.  I like partridgeberries.  And toutons (bread dough stretched out and then fried in oil, eat it by ripping off pieces and dipping them in molasses).  I had Jiggs Dinner last night after hearing from so many Newfoundlanders about how much they love it - it's a traditional Sunday night dinner here.  Nope - ew :(  From Wikipedia: "The meal most typically consists of salt beef (or salt riblets), boiled together with potatoescarrotcabbageturnip, and turnip greens."  At least now I've tried it.  

• Like 2

Thanksgiving poutine sounds like it would be really good.  

Partridgeberries are grown in Newfoundland.  They're sort of similar to cranberries, but not really.  They're small - a little smaller than wild blueberries.  The pie I made is 3/4 blueberry and 1/4 partridgeberry.  

There are all kinds of new things for us to try eating in Newfoundland.  I like partridgeberries.  And toutons (bread dough stretched out and then fried in oil, eat it by ripping off pieces and dipping them in molasses).  I had Jiggs Dinner last night after hearing from so many Newfoundlanders about how much they love it - it's a traditional Sunday night dinner here.  Nope - ew :(  From Wikipedia: "The meal most typically consists of salt beef (or salt riblets), boiled together with potatoescarrotcabbageturnip, and turnip greens."  At least now I've tried it.  

I suspect I'd like Jiggs better than toutons to be honest - mainly because I'm more in favor of salt than sweet and I tend to like greens.  ;)

Thanks for describing partridgeberries!  They sound interesting.  I'd love to try the pie.

I am Canadian.

But I'm not big on Thanksgiving. We aren't doing anything special. I haven't even thought about dinner. I did just make a late lunch.

My Mom is letting the weekend pass by just like any other weekend, too. Her kind of holiday! She's thankful that she isn't creating extra work for herself. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!  Tonight we're going to our pastor's house for dinner and tomorrow I'm cooking for  a couple of my adult nieces and nephews and their family.

I too have some nice wine. . . may even have a glass before we go out tonight. :)

I also made myself blueberry tea last night. An oldie but goodie. . . grand marnier and amaretto in a cup of strong black tea.  Yummy hot drink on this stormy long weekend.

• Like 2

I'm hosting "afternoon dinner" for 18 tomorrow. Today I'm baking pies. Yesterday I made cheesecake.

Buffet Style:

Turkey

Stuffing (bread, onion, mushroom)

Mashed Potatoes

Gravy

Carrots

Corn

Green Beans

On the tables:

Bread Rolls, Butter

Cranberry Sauce

Pickles

Desserts:

Pies (apple, cherry, pumpkin) with whip cream or pecan ice cream

Choose-your-own-toppings Cheesecake

Option to use icecream to make a sundae

Appetizers/ After-tizers

Sliced apples, grapes, cheddar cheese, candied pecans

Punch: Orange-Cranberry (spike-your-own with spiced rum or vodka)

Coke, Ginger Ale

White wine

• Like 2

Happy Thanksgiving!

We celebrated with a turkey dinner last night that I didn't have to cook (yay!). I baked a pumpkin pie and ds made cranberry bread from the recipe on the Cranberry Thanksgiving book (this is a tradition for our family). It was a lovely evening.

Ds also made a tessellation puzzle and had everyone colour a piece and write something they are thankful for on it. We laminated them this morning and cut them out and now we have a beautiful family puzzle.

• Like 2

I am Canadian.

But I'm not big on Thanksgiving. We aren't doing anything special. I haven't even thought about dinner. I did just make a late lunch.

Lol. I've never even heard of a Canadian actually "celebrating" Canadian Thanksgiving, nevermind cooking for it! When we lived in NB, it was a just a long weekend to come to Maine to shop. Now that we live in Maine, it's funny to see all the Canadians down here doing just that! In NB everyone seemed a bit mystified by the American traditions. :)

Anyway...Happy Thanksgiving, however you spend it! :)

• Like 1

We're having Thanksgiving dinner with DH's parents tonight and driving home tomorrow. Yesterday we were at a wedding with a turkey supper and all the fixings! I haven't told my mother we're at the in laws yet. She knew we would be out of town for a wedding though :) It'll be safe to go back there once the election is over :D

• Like 2

Happy Thanksgiving!

We celebrated with a turkey dinner last night that I didn't have to cook (yay!). I baked a pumpkin pie and ds made cranberry bread from the recipe on the Cranberry Thanksgiving book (this is a tradition for our family). It was a lovely evening.

Ds also made a tesselation puzzle and had everyone colour a piece and write something they are thankful for on it. We laminated them this morning and cut them out and now we have a beautiful family puzzle.

We were just talking about cranberry bread from that book.  Dd - now 19 - used to make it every year.  From the time she was seven or eight until she left for university.  She was saying she should have made a loaf this year...maybe she'll do it next year.  

I love the idea of the tessellation puzzle.  

• Like 1

Lol. I've never even heard of a Canadian actually "celebrating" Canadian Thanksgiving, nevermind cooking for it! When we lived in NB, it was a just a long weekend to come to Maine to shop. Now that we live in Maine, it's funny to see all the Canadians down here doing just that! In NB everyone seemed a bit mystified by the American traditions. :)

That's funny - this thread is the first time I've heard of someone not having some kind of special family dinner at Thanksgiving.  

Edited to add - maybe a NB thing?  I have family in Ontario, grew up in Alberta, lived in BC for over a decade and now live in Newfoundland and turkey dinners have been the norm.

• Like 2

We're having 16 tomorrow.  I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with making big meals, but it's fun to have everyone over.

I'm just thankful that we have the kind of family that love to be together.

That's what I like best about Thanksgiving.  I've never been stressed out about the food because I know that we'll have a good time no matter what.  

I'm hosting "afternoon dinner" for 18 tomorrow. Today I'm baking pies. Yesterday I made cheesecake.

Buffet Style:

Turkey

Stuffing (bread, onion, mushroom)

Mashed Potatoes

Carrots

Corn

Green Beans

On the tables:

Bread Rolls, Butter

Gravy

Cranberry Sauce

Pickles

Desserts:

Pies (apple, cherry, pumpkin) with whip cream or pecan ice cream

Choose-your-own-toppings Cheesecake

Option to use icecream to make a sundae

Appetizers/ After-tizers

Sliced apples, grapes, cheddar cheese, candied pecans

Punch: Orange-Cranberry (spike-your-own with spiced rum or vodka)

Coke, Ginger Ale

White wine

Wow.  Next year I'm coming to your house.

• Like 1

My Mom is letting the weekend pass by just like any other weekend, too. Her kind of holiday! She's thankful that she isn't creating extra work for herself. :)

I don't mind cooking a turkey dinner, but I tried - for years - to make turkey soup afterwards and found that an awful lot of work.  I liberated myself from the turkey carcass a number of years ago and have never been happier ;)

I don't mind cooking a turkey dinner, but I tried - for years - to make turkey soup afterwards and found that an awful lot of work. I liberated myself from the turkey carcass a number of years ago and have never been happier ;)

Oh, we always make soup! Boil the carcuss, strain, have kids pick off some meat (how hard I try to get it all depends on our circumstances), add barley, celery, carrots, onion, potatoes- and we have at least 2-3 more meals!

But yes, it is a bit of work.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I don't mind cooking a turkey dinner, but I tried - for years - to make turkey soup afterwards and found that an awful lot of work. I liberated myself from the turkey carcass a number of years ago and have never been happier ;)

I'm surprised you think of it as hard work. I just toss all the bones and ugly bits back into the roasting pan I used in the first place, fill with water and simmer it from after-supper till bed-time. At bed-time I either fridge the whole thing or transfer all contents to my crock pot for the night.

I guess that's not 'no work' but it's pretty easy. The next day I pour it through a sieve into a couple of regular pots, nice and hot for lunch, and plenty to freeze for the future.

• Like 1

We had Thanksgiving this afternoon at my in-laws. My parents are always out of the country in October, so no commitments there. Tomorrow was SUPPOSED to be a nice, relaxing holiday.... but the boys have asked if we can do a big Thanksgiving dinner at home with just our family. So yesterday we went shopping for everything we need for turkey, stuffing, pie, rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, etc. I'm making them help me with EVERY. SINGLE. STEP. Tonight we made the turkey brine and the apple pies. Tomorrow the real fun begins, lol. If they want a big huge holiday dinner, they can darn well learn for themselves how much work it is and how to do it all themselves. ;) In actuality they love cooking, so this may actually be a reward for them.... I suppose we'll see once they've been on their feet all day tomorrow.

• Like 2

As a Nber, we always had a big Thanksgiving Dinner. I've never heard of anyone going to ME for the entire long weekend to shop - it was always a time for family get togethers, planning for Christmas Dinner and Boxing Day.

As for being 'mysified' by American traditions? I have no idea what that would be about.

And with The CAD so low, who would want to go shopping in Maine right now? 😋

• Like 2

As a Nber, we always had a big Thanksgiving Dinner. I've never heard of anyone going to ME for the entire long weekend to shop - it was always a time for family get togethers, planning for Christmas Dinner and Boxing Day.

As for being 'mysified' by American traditions? I have no idea what that would be about.

And with The CAD so low, who would want to go shopping in Maine right now? 😋

I grew up next to Ont and those I know celebrated as well.

What's up with the Canadian economy?  The exchange rate really surprised us last week.  It was great for our budget, but had me a tad bit worried about the economy there.  We rarely (as in never) get Canadian news here in southern PA.  

I grew up next to Ont and those I know celebrated as well.

What's up with the Canadian economy?  The exchange rate really surprised us last week.  It was great for our budget, but had me a tad bit worried about the economy there.  We rarely (as in never) get Canadian news here in southern PA.  

It's the drop in oil prices.  Otherwise, the economy is holding steady.  The unemployment rate hasn't changed much in the last six months - even with continued layoffs in the oil patch.  The housing market is still booming.  People are still spending and still saving.  

• Like 1