Menu

Do any of you library users "take a break" from the library because of fines?

I check all of our accounts every day.  Literally.  Our library has a pretty good selection but what makes it awesome is that a whole section of our state has come together and we can easily and quickly access books from other libraries in the system.  We are able to find most non-religious books that we want and even some religious ones.

I thought our library was awesome before, but I just got back and they are more awesome than I thought. We already don't pay fines on any books that are overdue. But, we lost two Clifford books 2 months ago and I guess there is a limit (they continued to let us check out books in the meantime) and so we were going to pay to replace them. Fine, fair enough. So today I talked to the librarian and he said we could either pay $15 per book or we could bring in a copy and we wouldn't have to pay anything. The only rule was that if it was a paperback, it could be a paperback or hardback, but if it was a hardback, it could only be a hardback. Well, it just so happens that they were both paperbacks and available for $4 each on Amazon. Score! 

• Like 3

And, now I'm going to ask too. The one time I paid a pretty big fine here (close to $20?) I just smiled and told the clerk I'd just see it as a donation to support the library, and the clerk didn't correct me, but the clerk might not know where the money goes either.

ETA: looked through library website, ended up reading the budget, and since the library (in the revenue section) is budgeting $330,000 in fines for 2015, I'm going to conclude that yes, fines go to the library.

Our county website also has fines budgeted for library. Maybe when I've heard of library fines going to the county the funds go to a county library site instead of "specific library X" or something. Not just to general county funding. This makes me feel better again about the fines.

:huh: Man, you better have the best library in the country with all of those fines!...I didn't realize people paid out so much money in fines...

Actually, I think the budget was for the entire library system, so the library system covers about a million people. Obviously, plenty of people don't use the library ever, but even if only 10% of a million people use it that would be only $3/person/year.

We do have a good library system though, and my local branch is pretty good too (it's one of the bigger branches in the system I think, though certainly not as big as the central library).

We aim to go to the library once a month for actual books. However, we download Kindle titles from the library on a near daily basis. 

Another thing is - we keep the library books in one spot. When you're done with it for the day, it goes back to the pile, so everything stays together. 

I put a sticky note on the top with the due date, or on my calendar and stick with that. 

Most libraries also have, on their website, a place where you can renew your books. 

Our library allows us to take 50 books out at one time, so it can be difficult, but it's doable. 

I stopped using the library since I moved to a new town. I really hated that they wouldn't allow me to take books back out more than once. There were times I hadn't finished a book and had to either pay fines or give up the book. For the past two years we buy books at thrift stores, good will, yard sales, etc. I spend on average $1 per book. Being able to keep them and donate or resell ones we don't like is so much better.

If it's a specific title I want and can't find it, I'll consider the library. But I find that a little patience goes a long way.

Book swaps are also fun, especially if you build up a lot of literature you don't want to keep. There are many online book swaps but you may be able to find local ones too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've never taken breaks, despite $50+ fines. Our fines do go to the library and I figure that $50 once out even twice a year more than pays for the 50-100 books I usually have out at any given time!

Honestly, our system is excellent.

We have a library app where I can do renewals, which is great. I check it a lot. We can renew three times, which adds up to 12 weeks for a book, if no one else has a hold on it. Pretty good.

I mainly work with with holds... I can place holds from my phone and then pick up when ready. The library is two minutes from our house, so every Thursday I drop off returns and pick up the holds. It's a five minute stop. Maybe as kids get older I'll do more group visits, but for now this system is quick, easy, and ensures quality books. We do go together for leisure more often in summer (15 min walk).

We have a set library shelf, which helps with order and finding things.

I couldn't educate the way I do without the library. I probably average $100 a year in fines because the fine costs add up quickly if I miss something, but there's no way I could buy a fraction of the books we use with that money... and I do mainly buy used books if purchasing.

That said, if my library was sub-par, I'd definitely channel the money elsewhere.

Yikes! That's a lot of money in fines!!! Our library is OK, we can keep books for 3 weeks, renew on line up to 5 times (if there's no holds), and fees are low. Not the case with DVDs and movies though. I think I average $20 a semester, which is fine given the amount of materials we use :)

PSA: Make sure you actually know how much your fines are before taking a break...

About 2 years, I decided to take a break because I had racked up approximately $40 in fines (significant for me).  I calculated this based on the posted fee schedule, amount of books and what I thought were the amount of days late.  I was so upset, I just dropped the books off and ran :)  Well, last month I bit the bullet and got a new card which I now have to purchase because I'm outside county lines.  Turns out my fines were.....$6.   :banghead:  I could have made a food donation and completely covered it!  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

I was more PO'd at taking a break due to imaginary fines than I was mortified at racking up imaginary fines.

I can't believe how many of you have no fines on children's books!  That is amazing.

Well my natives are having an uprising so we will have to just go back to the old library sooner rather than later and start over there, even though we have a library a few blocks away, it's just not worth it to go every week, and thus the fines.

Yes, we have stopped and now I'm buying nearly all our books used. And then resell them. I usually get about how much I paid for them and if one gets lost or ruined for whatever reason,miss already paid for. My fines were getting crazy. We do use the library card to "borrow" online books as those get "returned" automatically.

• Like 1

Skip the library? Perish the thought!!!

We have a very good library system, easy online renewals and reminders, special cards for teachers with 6 week check out, special programs for a wide variety of ages and interests, and my kids love to go. Plus our branch is a mile from our house! (Though it is currently under renvoation and closed until early 2016.) I occasionally have a few dollars in fines, but we make them go away by bringing items for the local food pantry every fall and spring.

I do not have room to store all the books my kids read, nor money to buy them. Besides, not every book they read is worth buying and checking out really good books from the library keeps them in circulation and so not culled out.

Bummer that you don't have a good library!! Under your circumstances I might avoid it too. Is there a nearby system that is better? Several of my friends pay $40 a year to use ours because their county system is so small and less convenient.

We are very lucky where I live. The library is 30 minutes away, but it's where I do my grocery shopping anyway. They are networked with every other library in their council reigon, about 8 I think, so you can request books from any of the 8 libraries. NO late fees on anything, which is the only reason I use it lol. The other library system nearby that's in a different council reigon has late fees, so I haven't even bothered checking out from them. 

We go on shopping day every week, so having that once-a-week visit means things don't generally go overdue anyway. We also have a special library shelf. 

But I do prefer to buy books, and buy anything that has re-reading value. 

Would it help to put the due dates on your calendar...a few days in advance of the actual due date? This puts me on alert! I also dont allow more than 20-ish books out at a time and they live in a special location in the house. And online renewal is a lifesaver!!!!

Guest notuntilcoffee

I go online and print out a list of the books we have checked out and their due dates.  I keep this on a clipboard on our "library shelf."  Of course, I have to remember to check the clipboard...

My problem is the kids' accounts.  I have to log in for each child to renew their books, but we check out too many to have all on mine. 

I would like to look at our fines as donations, but the new books being bought are, generally, not what I'd want my kids reading.  I find myself grabbing the oldies, but goodies, at the library's book sales.  I'm buying the exact, actual, books that my kids check out over and over again or the books that I had scouted and have in my lesson plans later in the year. 

I've never taken breaks, despite $50+ fines. Our fines do go to the library and I figure that $50 once out even twice a year more than pays for the 50-100 books I usually have out at any given time!

Honestly, our system is excellent.

We have a library app where I can do renewals, which is great. I check it a lot. We can renew three times, which adds up to 12 weeks for a book, if no one else has a hold on it. Pretty good.

I mainly work with with holds... I can place holds from my phone and then pick up when ready. The library is two minutes from our house, so every Thursday I drop off returns and pick up the holds. It's a five minute stop. Maybe as kids get older I'll do more group visits, but for now this system is quick, easy, and ensures quality books. We do go together for leisure more often in summer (15 min walk).

We have a set library shelf, which helps with order and finding things.

I couldn't educate the way I do without the library. I probably average $100 a year in fines because the fine costs add up quickly if I miss something, but there's no way I could buy a fraction of the books we use with that money... and I do mainly buy used books if purchasing.

That said, if my library was sub-par, I'd definitely channel the money elsewhere.

I had no idea libraries had apps! Thanks to you I found out our library has an app. I hope it will be helpful :)