Menu

Helping kids through death of a loved one

Loowit

My grandmother died yesterday in hospice.  She got very ill last week and due to age she didn't get well.  I tried to prepare the kids as much as I could.  None of the kids were really close to her.  They saw her a few times a year. My DD and older DS seems to be doing okay.  My youngest is really struggling.  He went with me a number of times to visit her in the hospital and then later when they moved her to hospice.  He kept telling me that she was looking better and she would get well, but I tried to be realistic from the beginning that she wouldn't likely get better, and then of course once she was in hospice and we knew it was a matter of time I talked to him a number of times about her not getting better.

When I told him yesterday that she had died, he cried a little.  But since then he has kept insisting that she is going to come back to life like on movies and in games.  I have tried to explain that that doesn't happen in real life, but he still insists that it can happen.  I am really not sure how to handle this.  I know that eventually he will come around to understanding that she is gone, but I am a bit worried that he is so insistent about this.  I guess I am wondering if I should just let it go and let him figure this out or if I should keep gently reminding him that she isn't going to come back but that we will see her again in heaven.

The best advice I got when we had a grandparent die was to be sure to say that it wasn't the child's fault (which seems so very obvious to us as adults, but is sometimes not obvious to young kids). Also to talk to the child about what happens if *you* die. It doesn't need to be specific, but just that there's a plan in place, people will take care of him, etc. Again, it seems so unconnected, but both of these things turned out to be things dh and I needed to bring up with ds.

• Like 1

This is a common and appropriate developmental stage for your son to be at.  He is in a concrete stage, in which death is not permanent.  Art and free writing stories about Grandma are good tools to help him manage this.  In a short time (a few months to a couple of years), he will move into a more abstract developmental stage and realize that death is permanent.  It is okay to respond with, "That would be so nice" or another reassuring noncommittal phrase.  He is processing it in an appropriate manner, IMO.

Thanks all.  I am feeling pretty overwhelmed at the moment so it is hard to think clearly about stuff.  I appreciate the book suggestions and the idea to contact hospice.  The writing is a great idea, but DS hates writing so I doubt it would work, but I will mention it to him just in case.

Rosie, thank you so much for your offer to share your DD's stories with DS.  I will have to think about it.  It is very thoughtful and appreciated.

After reading all the replies it brought to mind that I should probably talk to his therapist about it and get some ideas from her too.

• Like 1