Menu

Gattegno Math

AHASRADA

Has anyone used this as an alternative or supplement to Miquon? I've been looking through the free copy of Book 1 online, and it seems to be the polar opposite of Miquon in presentation: scripted, with no worksheets. I like the way he walks the student through math discovery with Cuisenaire rods, but verbally rather than pictorially.

Any insights, experience or reviews would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've never heard of this. Where did you get your book 1?

You can buy them on Amazon or search through old threads on here to find .pdfs of them.

I haven't used them, although I have looked at them. I wouldn't say they are the polar opposite of Miquon, more like Miquon as a teacher-led thing than a child-led thing, with similar concepts taught in similar ways.  It would probably be a good resource for a teacher who didn't feel very comfortable teaching Miquon as is. When I looked at them, I felt like I was already doing most of the things he taught, both intuitively and through teaching myself the method using other Miquon materials and resources like Education Unboxed, so I didn't think they'd be particularly useful for me. However, I did mostly just look at the lower level book, not his upper level books, which may be more helpful. I think this could vary greatly depending on the parent. I've spent years educating myself on this stuff. Not everyone has that luxury and it could only help.

I believe some past threads even have YouTube links to him teaching using the method, which could be helpful. I am surprised his books aren't recommended more as a resource to help parents struggling with Miquon. They seem perfect for that.

• Like 1

Here is the free online copy:

http://issuu.com/eswi/docs/gattegno-math-textbook-1

This is the publisher's website to purchase hard copies:

http://www.educationalsolutions.com/math-sets/gattegno-math-book-set

You're right, Gattegno's approach is not the opposite of Miquon, but the presentation is. For me, it explains what the lab sheets are trying to do, but without the lab sheets. I really hesitated to buy Miquon, because I'm not crazy about open-ended nebulous curriculum. I would have much preferred Gattegno's approach, where I can open the book, read the instructions to my dd, and she does it. I think she would enjoy that more too (sometimes she gets sick of a certain lab sheet, but I keep plugging along, because I don't want to leave any pages undone. )

Considering how many parents have expressed interest in Miquon, but were too intimidated by it, I am surprised it is not used and recommended more often.

• Like 2

I've used Miquon for years.  I just found Gattegno.  I'm going back and redoing some things b/c I like Gattengo's presentation.  

I think it would be quite profitable to do a combo.  Use Gattegno as an oral lesson with rods.  Then let the kids free-style math lab with Miquon.   There is redundancy, but enough unique instruction in Gattegno that I think it's worth using his books.  Miquon lab sheets are worth every dime and more.  Mixing Gattegno's strategic instruction with Lore Rasmussen's intuitive style just might be math perfection.

If you ask what I'll use with my 2yo...I'm saving back Miquon and collecting Gattegno.

• Like 4

Ah, I've been searching for this thread. Thanks to this thread I checked out Gattegno and started it last week with dd2(almost)6. I prefer the lay-out of Gattegno for me and dd likes the Miquon worksheets. So, we are now going through some concepts with Gattegno until she gets tired of it and then she picks a sheet a two of Miquon, she likes practicing things on her own. I don't know that I always understand what he wants me to do with her but it seems we are doing things that are worthwhile anyway! I'm thinking we'll stick with the free online version for a month or so and if it still works we'll go ahead and buy one of Amazon, I just love that I can try it for free. 

• Like 2

Ah, I've been searching for this thread. Thanks to this thread I checked out Gattegno and started it last week with dd2(almost)6. I prefer the lay-out of Gattegno for me and dd likes the Miquon worksheets. So, we are now going through some concepts with Gattegno until she gets tired of it and then she picks a sheet a two of Miquon, she likes practicing things on her own. I don't know that I always understand what he wants me to do with her but it seems we are doing things that are worthwhile anyway! I'm thinking we'll stick with the free online version for a month or so and if it still works we'll go ahead and buy one of Amazon, I just love that I can try it for free. 

Keep us posted.

One thing I've noticed (to nitpick) is that Gattegno uses different abbreviations for the colors than I have previously used and that takes some getting used to.  It was worth it to buy the little book so I can use my white out and a pen. I wish I could just print them online, but it seems that is not an option.

• Like 1

Keep us posted.

One thing I've noticed (to nitpick) is that Gattegno uses different abbreviations for the colors than I have previously used and that takes some getting used to.  It was worth it to buy the little book so I can use my white out and a pen. I wish I could just print them online, but it seems that is not an option.

I see that ahead a bit he does have some interesting abbreviations- we've not made it that far, I'm sure I'll have to write that out until I learn it.  We've went through 5 or so pages so far. Looking at what is covered (the 4 operations until 20) I'm just thinking that if we make it through the first one by the end of 1st we'll be great at the rate we are going of course it looks we'll finish 1 this year but we'll see how her it works for her, she went through MiF K in about a month but she wasn't ready for 1st MiF so a chunk is review, we're just deepening our understanding and working on really learning those facts. 

• Like 1

I just bought it as a resource to go with my Miquon materials. I have one dd finishing red and one who just barely started orange (and a baby due in 8 weeks) so I'm hoping to get some use out of it. Bonus that it seems to have word problems, which I haven't seen any of, at least in the first 2 levels of Miquon. At $10, it was reasonably priced for a supplement and worth not having to use that online PDF reader, I thought.

We used it for Kindergarten and first grade with my oldest. She needed the process-oriented Gattegno to be able to get what Miquon was all about. There is a (very outdated) series of videos on YouTube to see it in action.

Thank you for this.  We looked at Miquon, Education Unboxed, and Gattegno before deciding on MEP.  I had c-rods that were brought out maybe three times last year because he preferred the MUS blocks and had no interest in the smaller rods.

We watched the first of the videos this morning and it intrigued him enough to dig out the c-rods, which he's been playing with all day: building and dividing numbers, making Montessori 'snakes', creating area and perimeter problems.  It finally sunk in that they weren't just building blocks.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We are almost finished with a math workbook by Irving Adler that I surprisingly really liked. I would like to use the Gattengo text after we finish our current work. Is there anyway to print this?

I don't know if you can print it, but you can buy it on Amazon for $10, so not too bad.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got my book yesterday.  We will be finished with my vintage Irving Adler math workbook this week and hope to start this next week.  Any tips from those already using Gattengo/Miquon?

Have you started playing with the rods yet? If not spend a week or two with the first few EU videos.