Menu

LDS General Conference Thread

maize

For the last few years the speakers who need to wear oxygen have been wearing special glasses that are designed in a way that the oxygen is delivered through the glasses instead of having to wear traditional tubes. Elder Hales was using his oxygen glasses. http://www.oxygenconcentratorstore.com/oxygen-glasses/show examples.

Oh, that's awesome. Thanks.

• Like 1

I LOVED watching the wiggly children in the choir. Not that the ones who managed to sit and stand still weren't cute too, but I have a special place in my heart for the wiggly ones :)

Did you see the little boy they showed at the very end holding (I assume) his brother's hand, so sweet!

I had Priesthood session on while I was cleaning up tonight, shorter than usual, that was surprising. I especially enjoyed Pres. Eyring's remarks.

• Like 2

I really liked President Uchtdorf's and President Monson's talk during the priesthood session.  We missed the first couple talks, though, because a boy Adrian's been playing with on Portal 2 unfriended him because Adrian hasn't been on-line to play enough.  Adrian was utterly devastated.  He had been so excited to have a "friend" he could play with.  He ended up sobbing for at least 20 minutes.

Did you see the little boy they showed at the very end holding (I assume) his brother's hand, so sweet!

A picture of the two little boys holding hands was put up on Facebook and a friend of mine shared it.  Here's the story underneath:

Kristy Medina

2 hrs Â· Edited Â· 

These boys touch my heart as I watched them sing today. I thought of the many times I've seen them in the school hall. The shorter one walks only with walker on wheels but he courageously presses forward to his destination smiling at the people who he passes in the hall. I often find courage to press forward on my own journey when I see him pressing forward on his. The older boy is his brother and he is also very kind hearted and obviously from this picture is making it possible for his younger brother to stand there courageously and sing their hearts out. What a demonstration of Christ like love. Thanks to Stefanie Z for taking this picture

‪#‎ldsconf‬ â€ª#‎simple2loseweight‬ Follow me on instagram @simple2choosehealth

• Like 4

I thought President Monson was about to collapse. I was praying for him as I watched him clutch the podium harder and harder.

I was, too.  You could see his eyes were having trouble focusing at the end on the teleprompter telling him what to say, but he also was determined to finish.  People rushed up to help him to his seat pretty fast after his amen.

I liked that one, too.  I wonder how much it could help seminary student to spend 25 weeks going through the scripture mastery verses for the year and ponderizing them in turn.  I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here, they memorize the scripture mastery verses long enough to pass them off.  There is an emphasis on knowing the topic of the verse, which is important, too, but I know sometimes the verses - the words of the verses - I memorized in seminary years ago come in handy for me today.  It's certainly a not very difficult idea for all of us to focus on the scriptures constantly.

You know, I've thought a lot about having "out of touch old guys" running the church because the same sort of thing has come up in my parents' ward (where we lived before we moved to TX).  For a while there was a prevailing opinion that the "young moms" could learn nothing from the "old ladies" and the "old ladies" being in the RS Presidency made RS irrelevant to the younger women.  I was kind of in the middle age-wise.  I was 35 when we moved and my oldest was 13.  I felt like there was a LOT I could learn from the so-called "old ladies," but many of the younger women insisted that parenting today is completely different from parenting in the 80s or earlier (we're talking parenting toddlers and preschoolers).  I disagreed vehemently.  I feel like we need all ages.  We need the older women's (and men) wisdom gained over many years.  We need the younger women's energy and excitement.  In a lot of ways I felt like what was going on in a small way in that ward was like people saying the GAs are too old to understand what life is really like.  Yes, specifics changes as time moves on, but there are always challenges.  I'm glad to be able to have the "old people's" wisdom and support!

• Like 3

Elder Bednar's talk is awesome! I find it so interesting that so many talks have been gentle corrections of criticisms I have heard in the media and in my doubting friends.

It doesn't seem that long since he was called. Now he's in the top six.
  • Like 1

someone sent this to me, and I thought I'd share.  I was really impressed with Elder Renlund's talk on sunday.

http://www.mormonobserver.com/2015/10/05/want-a-new-apostle-with-a-diverse-background-hes-already-there/#.VhOU9QlH6GY.facebook

His niece shared a bit about the family background.  his first language is swedish, while he spent a few years in the US, he essentially grew up in sweden (and finland).  that's his native culture - he had to learn about US culture as an immigrant (even though he was born here). he served his mission in sweden. in his 20's, He was the bishop of an inner city ward in baltimore.  while serving in the presidency of the africa southeast area, he learned french becuse that is a predominant language and he wanted to communicate with the members without a translator.

• Like 2