Menu

LDS General Conference Thread

maize

Most of the sessions are next weekend, but I thought I'd start the semi-annual thread now for all those who will be attending or watching or listening to the Women's Session tonight. I'll be watching at our stake center (hee hee, almost typed steak center and had to correct myself!) with dd12, really looking forward to that. I think we watched together a couple of years ago when they invited girls age 8 and up, but 12 is so much closer to being a woman it feels different to me.

https://www.lds.org/?lang=eng

• Like 1

Dd wants to watch at church, otherwise I would stay home because I.Hate.Sitting.Still and at home I could fold clothes or something to keep myself occupied.

I hate sitting still so much, too.  My daughter does as well.  We'd both go insane sitting and watching without something to do with my hands.  There are pluses to seeing it with other women, though.

Wow, Pres. Monson really isn't looking good. :(

I know :(  I said that when they put the camera on him.  I also noted that President Eyring looks happy as ever and President Uchtdorf apparently does not age.

• Like 2

I loved this session! And I loved watching it with my 11yo dd. We watched at home because it's dark here and I don't want to hit a moose on the 1-hour-country-road drive home from church. DD was a little sad about missing out on the ice cream social, so we had ice cream together while her brothers were in bed. :)

All the talks were wonderful.

So it seems that generally after conference the memes start to pop up. I'd like to share a couple quotes on Facebook without going through the trouble of looking up the exact wording or making them look fancy myself. Is there somewhere online a gathering of conference memes to choose from for lazy people like me?

• Like 2

I watched this morning before we head off to church. I was celebrating my grandpa's 90th (and probably last) birthday last night :) so we didn't get to watch it live, but it's a great way to start the Sabbath day! I loved, as always, hearing from Pres Uchtdorf. It was good to hear lots of talks on "when life doesn't go as planned" as that seems to be the situation for so many sisters in my ward.

• Like 1

Saturday is when it's been consistently done in the past when they do the sustaining of the church officers.  Interestingly, there's no guarantee we'll get one, let alone all three.  Elder Nelson filled a vacancy that had been there for over a year.  Chances are there will be two news ones at least, but it's interesting that it hasn't always been the next conference, even in our lifetimes.  Elder - actually I guess he's President Nelson now since he's president of the quorum - Nelson talked about delays in filling vacancies as well as other things in a news article on lds.org. https://www.lds.org/church/news/president-nelson-reflects-on-being-an-apostle-of-the-lord?cid=HP_WE_9-30-2015_dCN_fCNWS_xLIDyL2-4_&lang=eng

It would make sense that at least on of the vacancies be filled by someone not from the US.  That's got to be hard just because of the distance to family.  At least when he was called, President Uchtdorf's daughter's family lived in Germany and his son's family in Switzerland.  It's a long way from Utah to Europe.

Saturday is when it's been consistently done in the past when they do the sustaining of the church officers.  Interestingly, there's no guarantee we'll get one, let alone all three.  Elder Nelson filled a vacancy that had been there for over a year.  Chances are there will be two news ones at least, but it's interesting that it hasn't always been the next conference, even in our lifetimes.  Elder - actually I guess he's President Nelson now since he's president of the quorum - Nelson talked about delays in filling vacancies as well as other things in a news article on lds.org. https://www.lds.org/church/news/president-nelson-reflects-on-being-an-apostle-of-the-lord?cid=HP_WE_9-30-2015_dCN_fCNWS_xLIDyL2-4_&lang=eng

It would make sense that at least on of the vacancies be filled by someone not from the US.  That's got to be hard just because of the distance to family.  At least when he was called, President Uchtdorf's daughter's family lived in Germany and his son's family in Switzerland.  It's a long way from Utah to Europe.

They usually do the sustaining on Saturday afternoon, right?

It looks like they only have chairs on the stand for the current apostles, no empty ones this morning. 

The GA's Conference Center chairs are the coolest things ever.  First of all, the quorum and first presidency have chairs made specifically for them.  And then they move around and rearrange, too.  It's amazing how it works.

They usually do the sustaining on Saturday afternoon, right?

It has varied.  I checked the last several times we got new Quorum members starting with Nelson and Oaks in 1984.  Sometimes it was Saturday morning, sometimes Saturday afternoon.  The last few seem to be a trend toward always being Saturday afternoon.

President Uchdorf says there will be three new apostles :)

I noticed that!

• Like 1

Oh, do they get chairs built for their specific dimensions? That would be awesome. I've always wondered how these aging men with various physical challenges manage to sit through hours and hours and hours of general conference, generally looking awake and alert throughout.

• Like 1

Yup.  If you look closely you can see how, for example, President Eyring has a thinner seat than President Monson.  They have different amounts of padding according to tastes as well.  We toured the Conference Center in February and the tour guide talked about it.  If you ever get a chance, take the tour!  http://www.hejduk.net/scrapbook/digital/ConferenceRoom1.jpg

• Like 3

I love the recent refocus on keeping the Sabbath day holy.  It's not something I grew up understanding or observing in both action and spirit.  At this time in my life, it is exactly what I need personally, and the promised blessings that come from keeping the Sabbath holy is what I desire for my family most of all, which is that they will gain their own testimonies of the Savior and peace will come into our home.

• Like 2

I need to figure out what this means for my family. I feel like we NEED the Sabbath to be an oasis in the our busy days, but I'm not sure how to achieve that.

I struggle with the idea of a day of rest when I have a household of small children. They're not much into letting mother rest. I need to figure out a different way to approach/reframe what the Sabbath should be to our family.

• Like 5

I cheered when they called Elder Rasband.  I LOVE him!

Elder Renlund gave an incredible talk last conference.  The Seventies really brought it in April and his was no exception.  He talked about keeping on trying.  He had one of my favorite quotes of the whole conference last time:

If we don’t try, we’re just latter-day sinners; if we don’t persevere, we’re latter-day quitters; and if we don’t allow others to try, we’re just latter-day hypocrites. As we try, persevere, and help others to do the same, we are true Latter-day Saints.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/04/latter-day-saints-keep-on-trying?lang=eng

I'm really not familiar with Elder Stevenson.  He was in the presiding bishopric.

The average age of the Quorum of the Twelve just dropped considerably.  Elder Bednar is no longer the youngest (he's 63, and Elder Anderson is 64, the other 7 and the first presidency are 70+).  Elder Rasband is 64.  Elder Stevenson is 60.  Elder Renlund is 62.  (I'm a numbers geek lol)

The oxygen through the glasses thing is one of the coolest inventions.

• Like 2

The talk on mothers is especially poignant for me today.  Exactly 14 years ago I gave birth to my awesome oldest son.

Mothering imagery is so often applied to Christ, in addition to the things Elder Holland mentioned I think of the "hen gathering her chickens under her wing" references.

ETA: Happy birthday to your son, I've always thought we really ought to celebrate our mothers on our birth days ;)

• Like 3

Butter, what do you mean "oxygen through the glasses"?

For the last few years the speakers who need to wear oxygen have been wearing special glasses that are designed in a way that the oxygen is delivered through the glasses instead of having to wear traditional tubes.  Elder Hales was using his oxygen glasses.  http://www.oxygenconcentratorstore.com/oxygen-glasses/show examples.

• Like 2