Menu

Are there shoes smaller than newborn size?

Desert Strawberry

Is it possible to find a shoe in a size smaller than newborn? Not a sock or a bootie. Something that would protect a tiny foot from cactus needles and thorns? A sturdy crib shoe? Is that still a thing?

Luna has some NB size Robeez type slippers, but they are much too big. 

Aren't there preemies with tiny feet? What do they wear? Google is only finding me size 1-1.5. Luna is FAR far from those sizes. 

ETA: Size 0-6m baby shoes are way too big. Google is only finding discussion by preemie moms about shoes in size 1-1.5. Luna is not even anywhere close to that size. I would guess she's a size 00-000.

Is it possible to find a shoe in a size smaller than newborn? Not a sock or a bootie. Something that would protect a tiny foot from cactus needles and thorns? A sturdy crib shoe? Is that still a thing?

I don't think it is still a thing, really. When my 5yo was little, I was advised by doctors (and the all-knowing internet, of course ;) ) not to put her in real shoes until she was ready to walk, or at least to stand. The hard shoe isn't good for foot development.

I assume from your post that you don't want shoes for appearance's sake, like most who put babies in shoes would--that it's needed for protection in your child's environment. Doll shoes may be your best bet if absolutely necessary, but I can't imagine that they would be good for foot development. Would it be possible to protect her feet by controlling the environment instead--super thick canvas  with a blanket on top if she'll be put down outside, for example?

ETA: Wait, I just saw your siggie--is Luna at the crawling/standing/amost ready to walk phase and still has feet that tiny? Yikes, that's a hard one!

• Like 5

Luna has some NB size Robeez type slippers, but they are much too big.

Aren't there preemies with tiny feet? What do they wear? Google is only finding me size 1-1.5. Luna is FAR far from those sizes.

I was just at Babies R Us today and saw size 0 tennis shoes. I was surprised to see shoes that tiny! The weren't hard soles but were much more substantial than Robeez and could be tightened with Velcro. Most of their shoes (not Converse) are buy 1, get 1 free right now.
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure we tried those shoes and they were way too big. She has grown a tiny bit since then.

I don't think it is still a thing, really. When my 5yo was little, I was advised by doctors (and the all-knowing internet, of course ;) ) not to put her in real shoes until she was ready to walk, or at least to stand. The hard shoe isn't good for foot development.

I assume from your post that you don't want shoes for appearance's sake, like most who put babies in shoes would--that it's needed for protection in your child's environment. Doll shoes may be your best bet if absolutely necessary, but I can't imagine that they would be good for foot development. Would it be possible to protect her feet by controlling the environment instead--super thick canvas  with a blanket on top if she'll be put down outside, for example?

ETA: Wait, I just saw your siggie--is Luna at the crawling/standing/amost ready to walk phase and still has feet that tiny? Yikes, that's a hard one!

Luna is nearly 9 months old. She's been standing with help since 5 months. She's starting to crawl and getting wiggly. She's no longer happy to be held all the time. 

We live in the wide open desert and there are a lot of poky things. 

She's wearing her slippers with thick nb socks now. they are staying on ok. A bit roomy, but it's working ok. they are heavily padded and can't be easy to walk in. 

I hadn't thought of doll shoes, but I'm sure that wouldn't be good for her. 

• Like 1

Look for swim shoes.   They have a thick sole and because the top is stretchy wetsuit material the shoes stay on even when they are a bit big.  If the toe part extended too far you could shove something behind the foot to bring the foot more forward.  

It seems that shoes meant for walking don't start until the one-year size.  Or, if they do they are the super-stiff ones that aren't good for foot development.  

If you go to FB and look up a group called "Stitch Upon a Time Pattern and Merch. Chat," there's a free slipper pattern in the files. They make patterns for underwear and such, and they recently released a men's brief pattern. Quite a lot of discussion over man panties in the past couple of days. The kids' and mens' boxerwear patterns are fabulous if you need those. :laugh: 

• Like 1

My baby was walking a lot by the time she grew into size 0 shoes and we got some at payless. They were hard soled, cheap, and served their purpose for running around at the playground and stuff. She was walking at 9mos and I didn't get the shoes until she was closer to 13mos. Until then she just wore socks or nothing. I think Robeez are pretty big and not comparable to a size 0 or even 1. 

• Like 1

There are also these things: Luvable Friends Girls Rubber Grip Sole Socks, Pink Shoe, 12-18 Months https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U7PBHDC/ (several different brands and styles)

That might be easier to layer socks underneath to get a better fit? The sole is sturdy but flexible. They got stinky quickly for my DD, but she has foul feetsies. ;) Stinky would be better than impaled by cactus needles though!

• Like 1

I think I will pick up some sparkly pink felt and make some teeny little shoes. I have a pattern forming in my head. It that isn't adequate I'll grab a little square of leather.

Thanks ladies!

Sounds cute:)

Just a slightly different idea:

We are rock climbers and the company that makes our climbing shoes sells a rubber-sole paint for resoling shoes...and for myriad other uses. For example, I buy it because since I am in a wheelchair normally, I need food knee pads when we are out at the crag. I have tried every type but they either slide around, pinch, or cut off circulation. The paintable rubber allows me to literally paint it on a pair of pants to make my own perfect knee pads. It adheres to just about everything and is a nice soft, flexible rubber. You could paint it on the bottom of any shoes you make, or even just newborn socks. You can do it as thick or thin as you like, and choose just the sole or a whole shoe-like cover.

Here is the link. If you like the idea and want to try without buying a full kit, I bet I have enough to do a pair of nb socks or two...and even have nb socks from our little one:)

http://fiveten.com/products/accessories-detail/4280-stealthr-paint-kit

• Like 1

OK, I saw something on Facebook that made me think of this post!  Now, Desert Strawberry, don't think I'm totally nuts, but have you looked at DOG shoes?  They come in so many tiny sizes and you *might* be able to find some that work!  

I'm running away now so that you can't hit me if you think this idea sucks.

I think I will pick up some sparkly pink felt and make some teeny little shoes. I have a pattern forming in my head. It that isn't adequate I'll grab a little square of leather.

Thanks ladies!

You can order a bag of leather scraps from this shoe company for the cost of shipping. They would be plenty big enough to make shoes as tiny as you need them.

http://www.softstarshoes.com