Menu

I'm getting a Speed Queen washer tomorrow!

AHASRADA

The glowing reviews for Speed Queen washers that I've read on this board had just about convinced me that, when the time came, I would be replacing my 17 year old Whirlpool with a Speed Queen. Due to the cost, though, I was hoping that day would come later rather than sooner.

I've been feeling that the agitator hasn't been agitating like it should for a while, but my Whirlpool still cleans pretty well, and I definitely didn't want to trade it in for a new HE washer. Well, a couple of weeks ago, of course just a few hours before out of town guests arrived, I decided to throw in a load of sheets to be sure they were all clean. I discovered that my trusty Whirlpool was no longer agitating nor spinning. I had to wring the water out by hand. I researched possible causes and repair videos and urged dh to open up the washer and see if it could be saved. Busy, tired, and burned out on several recent repairs around the house, he was not interested in trying to save a 17 year old washer that might well break again in the near future.

I still hesitated regarding the cost, so I did a bunch of research, read tons of reviews and watched several YouTube videos of 20, 30, 40 and even 50 year old Speed Queens still going strong.

Today dh and I marched into a local appliance shop, ordered up a Speed Queen, and it's being delivered tomorrow! I'll update when I've had a chance to do a few loads. Can't wait!

• Like 4

Same here have had it for about 2 weeks.  Biggest thing I've noticed, it is SPEEDY!

:)

It also cleans well, drains alot of water from the clothes so drying time seems shorter, and I can...wait for it...

add clothes after the cycle has started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lovin' it.

• Like 1

Enjoy your Speed Queen!

I told dh that when our 15 yo Kenmore dies (and it's on its way having been wonky for a while now), that we're getting a Speed Queen. I told him he can blame the Hive if he doesn't like it but then I gave him all the info and he's fully on board. We've been looking at the models so we're not caught off guard when the time comes.

• Like 1

We just bought a top loading Speed Queen a couple of months ago.  My DH works outside and gets very dirty.  The Speed Queen does a much better job at getting his clothes clean than our old Whirlpool.  We were both pleasantly surprised.  It also spins the clothes dryer than our old one.  I am very happy with it!

So, my Speed Queen was delivered yesterday as planned. So far, I love it! I did 3 large loads, 1 medium and 1 small. Everything smelled very fresh and clean. I especially noticed my guys' socks and the dish towels, which always have lingering smells to them, didn't smell like anything!

I have been using Charlie's Soap since I started cloth diapering 5 years ago, which leaves no residue and no scent other than "clean", but it hasn't been working as well lately. I thought it was probably my old washer's fault, and the Speed Queen has proven that to be true. I think Speed Queen and Charlie's will be a winning combo.

The biggest change I've noticed, though, is my drying time has been cut by 1/3! (same old dryer). Either the Speed Queen gets a lot more water out in the spin, or my old washer was so far gone that it wasn't spinning out well and I hadn't noticed. Either way, I dried a large load of towels and a huge load of colors on the "efficiency" setting, and they were both dry as a bone! Again, this is with my 17 year old Whirlpool dryer, so the only change was the new washer.

I keep coming up with things to wash just to keep playing with the Speed Queen. I think I'm more excited about this washer than I was about getting a newer car! I am somewhat of a laundry queen, though. The rest of the house could be falling down around me (usually is), but I'm always on top of my laundry and love folding fresh, clean loads. So much fun! (dc think I'm nuts :)

• Like 7

The biggest change I've noticed, though, is my drying time has been cut by 1/3! (same old dryer).

Wow--that's a great bonus! Our drying time doubled. Our old front-loader actually did an awesome job spinning out water before it died. But it had a serious mildew issue and, as you mentioned, there were odor issues with our towels.

I hope you have many happy years with your Speed Queen! :thumbup1: