Menu

Looking for recipes for dishes that can be served cold ...

Kareni

I'm looking for recipes for dishes that can be served cold -- salads, curries, etc., but not soups -- to add some variety to our summer dinners.

I recently posted this query ~ Please share your favorite cold pesto pasta dish recipe ~, so I don't need any more pesto dishes (unless yours is irresistible!)

Bonus points for recipes that are

1. easy

2. vegetarian

Your help is much appreciated!

Regards,

Kareni

I just made this last night and posted it on the red curry thread.  It's delish, and vegetarian.  I used broccoli stems instead of kohlrabi.  It wasn't spicy at all, so if you like spicy you might want to amp up the red curry :)

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/thai_peanut_curry_noodles.html

ETA: it's quick and easy.  I threw frozen edamame in with the pasta during the last couple of minutes of cooking instead of thawing it ahead of time.

• Like 1

Satay noodles

Roughly based on this Rachael Ray recipe, but I have tweaked the sauce to our preference.

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/rachael-ray-30-minute-meals/chicken-satay-noodle-salad

Whisk together until smooth:

1/4-1/3 cup peanut butter

1/4 cup hot water

Then add:

1/4 cup tamari sauce

1 TB grape seed or sunflower seed (neutral) oil

Juice of 1-2 limes

1 TB rice vinegar

1 small squirt honey

1 tsp sesame seed oil

Hot sauce to taste

Toss with noodles, shredded/julienned vegetables, chicken (or not). It's good warm or cold. If I'm serving it cold, I may add more hot water for a looser sauce to start.

• Like 2

I've made a Mediterranean plate a few times this summer. Quarter pita bread, Make a salad with greens, tomato, cukes, red onion, kalamata olives and feta (if you eat cheese). Plate up with the salad, pita wedges and hummus. A greek vinaigrette or a quick oil and vinegar w/ lemon juice is perfect for a dressing. 

Garlic mint quinoa salad: cook 1 c quinoa. While that's cooking, finely chop kale (or chard, collards, spinach), put in mixing bowl. In blender, whiz up 1/2 c olive oil, 1/4 c lemon juice, 2 cloves garlic and a big handful of mint (or mint and basil). Add salt and pepper to taste. Massage dressing into the greens while quinoa cooks and cools a bit. Once quinoa has cooled down some, gently stir it into the greens and dressing. Add in diced cukes, tomato, red onion, whatever veggies you like. 

THis is my favorite cold kale recipe - it would be delicious with some rice. http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/garlicky-kale/

• Like 1

Potato salad and cowboy caviar are my favorites. Greek salad is nice too. I also like to make a sandwich by smearing pesto on some garlicky, crusty bread, adding a thick slice of mozzarella,and topping with spinach and fresh tomatoes.

Those sound yummy, so thank you.  I'm unfamiliar with cowboy caviar.  Can you elaborate?

Regards,

Kareni

We had hummus, toasted pita bread (coated in EVOO before heated in the oven), and a salad last night. The salad was topped with goat cheese, black olives, and sunflower seeds.

I also do salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, croutons, shredded carrots, cheese, and bacon quite a bit in the summer.

One more favorite is cooked pasta tossed in pesto sauce with any combination of the following mixed in: cooked asparagus pieces or broccoli, grape tomatoes halved, sliced black olives, Parmesan cheese, and chicken. I suppose you could do chick peas instead of chicken.

• Like 1

Those sound yummy, so thank you. I'm unfamiliar with cowboy caviar. Can you elaborate?

Regards,

Kareni

It's this:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=29527

You can serve it as a salad with some to e mixed in, or over greens, or as a dip with tortilla chips. I've been known to just eat it with a spoon. You can switch out ingredients for things you like better. I've seen recipes with no avocado or with black eyed peas instead of black beans.

• Like 1

We have been making a batch of red quinoa for cold quinoa salad just about every week. I can't stand warm quinoa, I think it smells disgusting, but it's fine cold. Red is much better for cold salad than regular, because it cooks up more separated and "springy," and it's prettier  :)

We started by emulating Zea's dish, which mixes in Thai vinaigrette, radishes, grapes, celery, raisins, and green onions. Now we add all kinds of stuff according to taste and whatever's in the fridge: red onions, diced plums, almonds, cherries. We've added in chopped ham leftover from breakfast and really liked that as well. 

We usually use just a bit of raspberry vinaigrette in the main container with the quinoa, and that way people can add more if they wish. And we'll mix in some of the stuff above that everyone likes, plus try to have more ready to go for people to add in to individual servings. dh thinks the fruit and nuts are the add-ins, I think the quinoa is the add-in. 

I will occasionally make mine more savory by using Caesar dressing or Asian sauces. 

•  
  •  
  • Like 2

Made this pasta salad for a picnic this past weekend and it got a lot of positive feedback. I can't wait to modify it: add avocado or fresh tomatoes. I used fresh cilantro, not dried.

It does use quite a bit of mayo; I wonder if that can be swapped out for something more healthy...

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/214796/mexican-fiesta-pasta-salad/

• Like 1

caponata is always nice. 

vietnamese noodles or spring rolls (or maybe they are called summer rolls).

garbanzo and tuna salad

lentil salad

rice salad with finely chopped raw squash, tomatoes, scallions, and a pesto dressing is always a hit here

cold soup

grapefruit, avocado and romaine salad

• Like 1

Made this pasta salad for a picnic this past weekend and it got a lot of positive feedback. I can't wait to modify it: add avocado or fresh tomatoes. I used fresh cilantro, not dried.

It does use quite a bit of mayo; I wonder if that can be swapped out for something more healthy...

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/214796/mexican-fiesta-pasta-salad/

I find swapping some Greek yogurt for mayo usually works well.

• Like 2