Menu

Help me sneak calories into my boy.

Moxie

DS9 has been taking ADHD meds for almost 2 months (they have been a small miracle, FYI). He was thin to begin with. He lost 3 pounds the first month and I can tell he has lost more. He just isn't hungry. What can I do to sneak calories into him? He is picky to begin with.

Use big dishes so what he's eating looks like less.

Make high-calorie versions of his favorites (so for example if he eats tacos, push the meat, cheese, guacamole and/or sour cream, as opposed to beans and lettuce).

If you normally plate food at the stove or countertop and bring it to the table, put all the food on the table in front of him instead.

If you'd normally serve water to drink, try a fruit and yogurt smoothie instead. (We like baby spinach, strawberries, bananas, whole milk vanilla yogurt, orange juice and a bit of cold water.)

• Like 1

Both of my kids purposefully try to eat a full meal before taking their meds. For dd16, she takes her meds on school days and doesn't take them on the weekends.  I concentrate on making sure I cook all of her favorite foods on the weekends so she will eat as much as possible.

DS20 finds that if he keeps a bowl of trail mix beside his computer he will absentmindedly munch on it. That helps him to get the protein he needs and gives him the fuel to keep going on.

• Like 3

Dip for chips and veggies, butter or peanut butter on bread, extra cheese, smoothies, dessert. Extra butter can easily added to many things like potatoes, veggies, popcorn. I gained weight in my first pregnancy with the help of (several pans of) brownies... :-)

My children are all on the very low end of the weight charts, so nothing "low fat" or skim goes into them. We're not unhealthy, I just believe in whole foods with their natural fats (milk, good butter/oil, etc).

I have a thin boy I am always trying to get extra calories in. I use whipping cream instead of milk in waffles and mac and cheese, extra cheese on anything that calls for it, and extra butter and olive oil when they are used. He's a really picky eater so these were the only easy additions to the things he normally eats for us. But whipping cream, butter and oil have a lot of calories! 

We do a lot of whole milk smoothies w/ lots of vanilla yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, applesauce and bananas.

At night, I dump a ton of ice cream in. I still haven't decided if high calories w/ sugar is a good idea, but it's what we're doing.

He's very picky, but will eat peanut butter so that's also a go-to.

I also add extra eggs to pancakes. It's hard b/c he's so picky.

After dealing with the orthodontist, I'll pick up a giant, high calorie smoothie for him from Smoothie King otherwise the tightening of his braces means he eats nothing.

Alley

• Like 2

If he'll eat smoothies for breakfast, it's pretty easy to blend in healthy oils and have it still taste good.  My DD has MCT oil in hers, and we put enough raw honey in that it's still tasty.  

What is MCT oil? Please tell me I am not the only one who wondered if Michael Clay Thompson was putting out a special brand of oil...

When dd4 was a baby, she had a lot of trouble gaining weight.  A nutritionist recommended that I add olive oil to her baby food.  Her cheeks gave up the sunken look in just a few days.  She looked so much healthier!  And, she still loves olive oil. ;)  She likes to dip her bread in it.

We at one point were advised to add powdered milk to foods like oatmeal that ds would eat. We also prepare foods with milk instead of water, lots of butter and cream added. Our endo also gave us a list of smoothie recipes to try. So far the only hit was peanut butter banana. If peanuts are not off the table, there is also powdered peanut butter that can easy be added. We used it a few times because a family going peanut free gifted it to us.

This happened to DD too when she took stimulants. Plan for a huge breakfast and give the meds as early in the day as possible (after breakfast) so that they wear off by dinner time. Get as much in him as possible for lunch, though he probably won't want much. Plan for a big, late dinner for him. Add olive oil, coconut oil or butter to everything. Smoothies are good, with added oil, whipping cream, etc for more calories per bite. Avoid the temptation to get the extra calories with sugary things. HTH!

I'm so confused on how I missed this thread yesterday! There is another post on here about foods to help kids gain weight. Many suggestions over lap, but there are others mentioned there that aren't here.

Sorry hive for my duplicate thread! And thanks so much for answering both of us.

OP, I feel your pain. Good luck putting the pounds (or ounces) on.