Menu

Red Curry

yucabird

Every summer I purchase a big container (roughly, 2.5 lb) of (Thai) red curry paste and use it for a simple curry once-a-month.  The expiry date tends to be a year out, so every summer I throw about half the container away.  It is not possible to purchase the paste in a smaller size.

I'm about to buy the new container, and I endeavor to be less wasteful this year.  Does anyone have any recipes that incorporate red curry paste?    

Well, it doesn't use a lot of curry paste, but I just made this butter chicken and got rave reviews from the entire family.  DH told me today (he was having leftovers for lunch) to make a bunch and freeze it.  It was SOOO yummy.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Butter-Chicken/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=butter%20chicken&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe&soid=sr_results_p1i1

I wonder if you could freeze the paste?

• Like 2

Freeze it in tablespoonfuls on a tray, then put it in a ziploc when they're solid. Or buy a different brand in a smaller jar? The one I buy is maybe 6 oz.

I use it in tomato soup. Sauté a shallot or two, then add a heaping spoon of curry paste, a large can of crushed tomatoes, and a canful of broth (fill the tomato can). Salt to taste. I purée it with a stick blender which makes it seem creamy. Serve with toasted cheese on naan bread.

• Like 5

Eat it more often or use more curry paste because spicier is always better.  :) My son could go through 2 pounds in a couple of months by himself. But yes, if I had that problem, I'd freeze it.  We make a lot of different curries and quite a few can use red curry paste. I like to saute chicken or tofu in it, with maybe a little coconut milk if you like, and use it for banh mi or really anything where you need a bit of flavorful protein.  

• Like 3

I make that red curry-coconut milk sauce and use it to repurpose leftovers. It works for everything . . . veggies, potatoes, nuts, seafood, chicken . . . I just love the curry/coconut combo. Lemme find a close-enough recipe . . .

This is what I do. Read the bottom note and use paste in place of powder.

http://lecremedelacrumb.com/2015/04/slow-cooker-curry-cashew-chicken.html

Also, I have a similar problem with yeast. The costco bag is too big for me to use, so I go halfsies with my sister.

• Like 1

Also, I have a similar problem with yeast. The costco bag is too big for me to use, so I go halfsies with my sister.

I have the same problem too but the Costco stuff is so much cheaper and fresher than what the grocery store carries.  It too freezes well.  My yeast is going on 3 years now and still going strong.

• Like 2

We LOVE the following recipe in winter, it'd be perfect for the rest of your paste. I'll do the conversions/ingredient translations for you rather than linking to my metric, australian recipe lol.

Sweet Potato Soup 

1 Large Onion

1.5 Pound Sweet Potato (kumara, sometimes known as orange yams in the US, though they are not actually yams)

2 Carrots

1 Quart Chicken Stock

1 Heaped Tablespoon Red Curry Paste (or to taste. Aus tablespoons are 4 tsp, not 3 like the US, but I use about double this anyway)

Fry onion and curry paste, add stock and stir, add carrot and sweet potato and boil until tender. Then, if desired (we usually skip these) add 2 teaspoons of lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar. Blend with stick blender until smooth. Serve with crusty bread and sour cream. 

• Like 2

We LOVE the following recipe in winter, it'd be perfect for the rest of your paste. I'll do the conversions/ingredient translations for you rather than linking to my metric, australian recipe lol.

Sweet Potato Soup 

1 Large Onion

1.5 Pound Sweet Potato (kumara, sometimes known as orange yams in the US, though they are not actually yams)

2 Carrots

1 Quart Chicken Stock

1 Heaped Tablespoon Red Curry Paste (or to taste. Aus tablespoons are 4 tsp, not 3 like the US, but I use about double this anyway)

Fry onion and curry paste, add stock and stir, add carrot and sweet potato and boil until tender. Then, if desired (we usually skip these) add 2 teaspoons of lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar. Blend with stick blender until smooth. Serve with crusty bread and sour cream. 

This is so different than what I usually make, but it sounds wonderful!      

And FWIW, I buy red curry paste in a very small jar. It makes about 2 curries for us. It is made by Thai Kitchen. You might look for it at a different store or maybe on Amazon. They also make a green curry that we like. I wish I could buy it in a big tub.  We go through a lot of it.  And it really is just fine in the fridge. It's  good for a long time.

• Like 1

Sweet Potato Soup 

1 Large Onion

2 Carrots

1 Quart Chicken Stock

Thank you! This recipe doesn't contain any of our food allergens, and it's great to have something new to try.

• Like 2

This is what I do with pesto I buy at Costco.  It works very well.

Freeze it in tablespoonfuls on a tray, then put it in a ziploc when they're solid. Or buy a different brand in a smaller jar? The one I buy is maybe 6 oz.

I use it in tomato soup. Sauté a shallot or two, then add a heaping spoon of curry paste, a large can of crushed tomatoes, and a canful of broth (fill the tomato can). Salt to taste. I purée it with a stick blender which makes it seem creamy. Serve with toasted cheese on naan bread.

• Like 1

It would make sense to buy a smaller container, but I’m not in the States – or in Thailand—so I have to either buy a big container of paste I like or a tiny container of paste I don’t….

BTW, the brand is Mae Ploy and the company makes a very nice sweet chile sauce.  It is lovely on little pork meatballs.  :drool5:

• 2 months later...

Sweet Potato Soup 

1 Large Onion

2 Carrots

1 Quart Chicken Stock

I saw this thread some months ago and noticed this recipe.  We finally had it tonight, and the soup was delicious!  Thanks for posting the recipe.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1