Menu

Medical insurance information for church midweek registration?

This is super common. I've had to list it for the vast majority of activities and camps we've done. It is just in case there is an emergency and the child has to be taken to the ER or something. Is the issue that the ID # is the same as a social security number? Most forms I've filled out only ask for the group #, which is not the same as our social security #s.

• Like 1

I am seeing more and more of our activities requiring insurance info on file.  Why not contact Awana directly to find out if it is their requirement?  And then ask your church to explain if they need it for insurance liability reasons.  With the games....the kids could get hurt.  I see why they want it.  Especially if you go off site and leave the kids there.  

Honestly, I've sometimes made up an ID/group number for that sort of thing where I felt like it wasn't going to be safeguarded properly, and they required it.

The reality is that if it is an emergency, the ER must treat them regardless. 

The other reality is that someone is home 98% of the time in our house, and we don't range far.  

We've been through plenty of ambulance/ER situations where the insurance information wasn't required until after the person was stabilized.

Even if they transport your child, the hospital is going to want an adult to confirm the information when you get there.

Nope. I only give out the actual information to those who are going to bill me, not those who run activities.

• Like 2

Have you heard of this? The online registration for our local AWANA requires the insurance company name and our ID number. My husband refuses to give this out to a church, so now I can't register the girls. Grrr.

Yes, I've heard of it before. I don't see a problem with it.

Now, if they wanted your dc's SS number, *that* would be a problem.

• Like 1

Oh my word. This drives me insane. I've seen it on so many forms. And they want to know my dentist, too. My dentist? Seriously? Like an idiot, I've been filling it in, but I've stopped. If my kid needs medical attention to the point where someone else has to hand over my insurance information..... well, I'd better be on my way.

• Like 2

What does he feel would be the downside of them having the insurance information?

What happens if you skip that box or write "n/a"? Is it computerized and won't let you proceed? If DH has a problem with something and I don't, I would let it be his problem to solve.

I've been asked for it for overnight things like Girl Scout camp, but not short drop off activities. I'd probably leave it blank or give it. If I don't trust them with my insurance card, I probably shouldn't trust them with my kid.

• Like 1

Honestly, I've sometimes made up an ID/group number for that sort of thing where I felt like it wasn't going to be safeguarded properly, and they required it.

The reality is that if it is an emergency, the ER must treat them regardless. 

The other reality is that someone is home 98% of the time in our house, and we don't range far.  

We've been through plenty of ambulance/ER situations where the insurance information wasn't required until after the person was stabilized.

Even if they transport your child, the hospital is going to want an adult to confirm the information when you get there.

Nope. I only give out the actual information to those who are going to bill me, not those who run activities.

I usually write "contact parent" in that blank. The hospital can wait until I get there for the number. That shouldn't compromise treatment in a true emergency situation. Just because an organization wants and asks for a certain piece of information doesn't mean it absolutely needs it. Now if the organization can give me a compelling, fact-based reason for having it, I'd reconsider.

• Like 2

What does he feel would be the downside of them having the insurance information?

What happens if you skip that box or write "n/a"? Is it computerized and won't let you proceed? If DH has a problem with something and I don't, I would let it be his problem to solve.

I've been asked for it for overnight things like Girl Scout camp, but not short drop off activities. I'd probably leave it blank or give it. If I don't trust them with my insurance card, I probably shouldn't trust them with my kid.

Yes, the registration is online and the insurance fields are required. Can't register without that field filled in.

As for letting it "be his problem to solve," that only works if he will solve it. Not likely.

Yes, the registration is online and the insurance fields are required. Can't register without that field filled in.

As for letting it "be his problem to solve," that only works if he will solve it. Not likely.

I don't have too much trouble putting down my insurance info, but if I did have a problem doing it, I would be temped to just put in a bunch of "xxxx" or "12345". And if someone has a problem with it, then they could call you and discuss it personally.

• Like 1

This is super common. I've had to list it for the vast majority of activities and camps we've done. It is just in case there is an emergency and the child has to be taken to the ER or something. Is the issue that the ID # is the same as a social security number? Most forms I've filled out only ask for the group #, which is not the same as our social security #s.

This.  I'd give the group number, but not SSN's. 

That really irks me, by the way.  Every organization is going to the computerized form so you can't skip anything or it won't let you proceed.  I find that very invasive and would obscure actual information if forced to do this. 

• Like 2