Menu

Freshman Orientation

MBM

We just got the list of events for my son's freshman orientation. Sheesh! It's a 9-day extravaganza, not an orientation. I am going to have to find a way to sneak in to some of the events.

Are you seeing something similar at your children's schools?

PS I realize now that my university cheated me. (j/k) I was thrilled to have more than one radio station to tune into and multiple entrees to choose from at the cafeteria.

DD had one week of orientation. Freshmen were moving in Sunday, orientation events with parents were Sunday/Monday, culminating in convocation, procession and good-bye, and then student-only events for the entire week. Classes started the following Monday.

This year, DD will work as an Orientation Aide for her house. She has to move in Wednesday, then they have training events for the O-aides Thursday-Saturday before the freshmen arrive on Sunday.

My daughter school had two day orientations throughout the summer. If you couldn't make one of those they will hold a session when you move in (like a day later).

We flew cross country so my daughter could attend. It was a really good experience for her and she met a ton of people.

The parents session was one day and most of it was stuff that was already covered at revisit day.

DD has a 5 day orientation before classes start.... move in day is Aug 21. Sigh. I am gonna miss this girlie. :)

We will get to see her quite a bit the first week or two though. :001_smile:  After that, I am going to have to plan my own dinners and make my own sunshine. She's definitely the most hopeful and optimistic spirit in the house... DS and I have more than a little Debbie Downer in us. Our new motto will have to be WWJD? What would J_______ do?

DS's official orientation is 4 days Sept 5-9, with classes beginning on the 10th.  The 5th is Freshman move in day so I'm not sure how that counts as part of orientation.

It seems the remaining days are packed.  Freshmen don't register until orientation, though, so there are a few dedicated hours each day to advisor and registration meetings.

DS is going to a pre-orientation leadership event so he'll be (kind of) on campus for a week before real orientation begins.

Both my girls had a 2-day orientation during the summer months.  The week before school starts is fun-fun-fun.  Kind of a time to get to know campus and find new friends.  

Middle child feels an acute need to walk campus.  She's done the tour so many times, she could probably give one.  But now that she knows which buildings house her classes...   I have to laugh, most buildings on campuses have names of people who gave money or historic names for the older campuses.  DD's science building is called just that "science building".

The school where both my older girls went has a 2-day orientation where the kids register for their fall classes. They also have a "summer camp" that is optional that my oldest did not go to, but my middle dd did. My oldest had done sleepaway camps as a kid, but my middle dd had never done a sleepaway camp and sometimes didn't make it through sleepovers next door due to homesickness. We thought the camp idea was a good one. She loved the camp.

Welcome week (the week before school starts) has a ton of activities. Since freshmen are all supposed to move in one week before school starts, the resident freshmen are there already for the activities. My oldest refused to go to most activities, really didn't like college much, and left after 2.5 years. My middle absolutely loves college and goes to a lot of the activities.

Mine had a 1-day event in the summer that was crammed. Then he has a 4-day move-in/orientation period before school starts. The first day is 1/2 day move-in 1/2 day orientation. All freshmen at the school take a 3-hour "core" class that focuses on writing and communication, but each class is theme driven. That class actually meets each day during the orientation. The schedule looks quite overwhelming to me, but I know the idea is to get them in and involved as quickly as possible.