Menu

Do you weight grades?

If your student took the AP exam for a class and did well, do you weight his grade? I've always been ambivalent about grades. I actually don't assign them until high school. But it seems the more I read about college and scholarship applications, so much hinges on grades. I'm wondering if not weighting will put my kids at a disadvantage. So I'm here for the hive's wisdom. What do you do about grades?

I did.  I weighted AP classes and Dual Enrolled classes (which is more conservative than our high school.)  Although I did do some other classes at what people around here would consider honors level, since I did not have outside assessments of those courses, I did not weight them.  Most, if not all, of the local high schools only report weighted GPAs, so I decided to do the same.  I figured that the college could unweight them if they wanted to (and many typically do.)  I had read that many scholarships look at the weighted GPA.  I don't know if that is true, but I did not want to take a chance.  Not one school asked for an unweighted GPA. 

If you search for this topic, you will probably find me saying that I wouldn't weight grades, but I did.

The admissions counselor at the college ds is attending specifically told me to be sure to weight the grades, and that it is often overlooked by homeschoolers. They actually take all weighted grades - no matter what system was used and put them on a 4.0 scale. So a child on a 5.0 or 6.0 scale might have a 5.5/4.0. It made a difference in scholarship awards.

The college that dd will be applying to this year doesn't look at weighted grades and I won't bother to weight hers. I guess my point is, check with the colleges you are applying to, not with your friends here at the WTM. :)

• Like 2

Yes, I will. It seems strange, but because the public schools in my area do, it seemed to be a possible disadvantage for my kids not to have them. Locally, they weight higher for ALL honors credits and even higher for AP and higher still for dual enrollment courses. We've followed suit.