Menu

High School with AP?

I've just been introduced the idea of AP classes, and was curious if a child could use them for their high school studies?  

I see several english options, math, sciences, social studies, foreign language...so, why not?

I guess there could be a few other courses that would need to be filled in?

Thoughts?

That's just what AP is designed for...advanced high school classes.

AP is used to prepare high school students for college classwork (the AP classes are rigorous), to potentially earn credit for college classes that a student takes in high school, and to stand out in the college admissions process.

If your question is asking whether a student would take ALL classes as AP, then the answer is not likely. AP classes have to be curriculum approved by the College Board and they are very challenging courses.

The main reason high school students do AP classes is to get the college credit for them, I think.  The student has to take a test at the end of the class and get a certain score in order to have it possibly gain college credit.  Be aware that some colleges do not take AP classes/tests for credit, so do some research first.  

We have a friend who will be majoring in biology and her college will not take her AP Biology class as credit - they want all major classes taken at their university.  

The main reason high school students do AP classes is to get the college credit for them, I think. The student has to take a test at the end of the class and get a certain score in order to have it possibly gain college credit. Be aware that some colleges do not take AP classes/tests for credit, so do some research first.

We have a friend who will be majoring in biology and her college will not take her AP Biology class as credit - they want all major classes taken at their university.

It's not uncommon for schos to not grant credit for AP scores for majors courses. They have simply found that for biology majors or physics majors that the corresponding physics course doesn't match their own course well enough.

However the AP course may be what got the student accepted to the school or the department or what laid the foundation for success in the majors courses.

AP courses are college level work. For history my kids read 1-3 chapters of college texts per week depending on the course. Some courses have a lot of problems to work, a heavy writing expectation or a lot of vocab and processes to understand. I would not assume a full AP load would be a good choice for most freshmen. (And not even for many seniors. )

• Like 1

There are tons of AP classes available online.  Do a search for AP online classes and you will get all sorts of hits.  You can also do them at home.  Maybe I'm missing something, as a lot of people here get their curriculum approved by the College Board, but I have done, and plan to do, AP classes at home without approval and plan on listing them on my daughter's transcript as AP.  I figure that if she takes the AP test, her score will justify the designation.  Perhaps someone else has some input on that.

My daughter has enjoyed the challenge of the AP classes because of the depth and breadth of study provided.

There are tons of AP classes available online. Do a search for AP online classes and you will get all sorts of hits. You can also do them at home. Maybe I'm missing something, as a lot of people here get their curriculum approved by the College Board, but I have done, and plan to do, AP classes at home without approval and plan on listing them on my daughter's transcript as AP. I figure that if she takes the AP test, her score will justify the designation. Perhaps someone else has some input on that.

My daughter has enjoyed the challenge of the AP classes because of the depth and breadth of study provided.

It's my understanding that the term "AP" is trademarked, you can't use the designation for the course without approval from the College Board regardless of the rigor or content of your course. What you can do is list it as "x with AP test" if the student takes the test at the end.

• Like 6

There are tons of AP classes available online.  Do a search for AP online classes and you will get all sorts of hits.  You can also do them at home.  Maybe I'm missing something, as a lot of people here get their curriculum approved by the College Board, but I have done, and plan to do, AP classes at home without approval and plan on listing them on my daughter's transcript as AP.  I figure that if she takes the AP test, her score will justify the designation.  Perhaps someone else has some input on that.

Oops.  Sorry.

We did this last year for Environmental Science and will again this year for US History.

Ok, so I could use the texts as the basis of her high school education, but she may not be able to test, or use the tests?  

How do you, as a homeschooler, access the ap courses?  How do you get approval from the College Board? The College Board indicates the child would go through a school counselor?

How to get approval for an AP course is a question I'll leave for someone else.

However, if the student has learned the material by any means that is covered on an AP exam, then they can pay and take the exam. If the score is good, then it "might" get them college credit and will for sure look good on a transcript. If the student did not take an "official" AP course, then you would just list the course as Biology with AP exam rather than AP Biology (no big difference that I see if the AP score is good).

• Like 1

Several years ago, I created a course that was AP approved by the College Board. If you go to the AP site you'll find links that tell you how to do this. Basically you create an AP-worthy syllabus. That said, I only did it once. It was much easier to just prepare an AP level class without the designation, call it an honors class and take the AP test.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the AP tests are taken on specific days/times in the Spring. You can call your local highschool to get information about the tests and to sign up/pay for them. According to the college board, the local highschool has to allow you to take the test if they are giving it. In our area, some schools don't give all of the tests, so their students who want to take a particular test have to take it at another highschool.

• Like 1

According to the college board, the local highschool has to allow you to take the test if they are giving it. 

That is laughable. I called over 20 schools (that were offering the test we wanted) before I found one that would let a homeschooler test and even there I had to pay an extra proctoring fee. There is a thread from last winter about people trying to find AP test sites and many have a hard time and some completely fail. Before planning to take an AP exam, you might want to check with the schools around you to see if it is an option or how far you will have to travel in order for it to be an option.

It is breaking trademark to list a course as AP if the syllabus isn't approved by the college board. It is also disingenuous because you are essentially claiming that your student went through an approved course when they didn't. That is what the designation means, that they went through an approved course, not that the learned the material or passed the test.

What most homeschoolers do that self-study for tests is simply to list Honors or Advanced whatever with AP exam. Then report the grade in the class and the AP exam score. Many others take AP exams through providers such as PA Homeschoolers and others. There are also several parent on these boards who have submitted their syllabus and had it approved by the college board. Since I haven't done that, I won't try to discuss how it is done.

How do you know your student is ready for AP? Would this add stress to my vision of 4 more lovely years together pursuing truth, beauty and goodness in our homeschool? Is it an economic strategy to have our kids get some college credits in high school to shorten time on campus? I always thought AP was for gifted students. Aren't we already tailoring our kids' courses to their academic abilities? As I type, I guess my question is this: Do AP classes rush a student through the high school academic "experience?" Can you tell I'm a high school newbie mom? 😬

• Like 1

How do you know your student is ready for AP?

For younger students, I think it is best to compare their areas of strength with available APs.

Would this add stress to my vision of 4 more lovely years together pursuing truth, beauty and goodness in our homeschool?

Yes.

Is it an economic strategy to have our kids get some college credits in high school to shorten time on campus?

Yes, very much so. At some schools it is possible to cut time on campus from four years to two years by using credit-by-exam. Even one year is possible. APs can be a part of that.

In the case of technical fields such as engineering, many college programs these days really take five years to complete if the student takes reasonable loads (18 credit-hours or below). APs can help to bring that down to a manageable four years.

I always thought AP was for gifted students. Aren't we already tailoring our kids' courses to their academic abilities?

APs can also work well for students who work hard. Conversely, AP courses can teach students TO work hard to help them prepare for college-level work. I agree that many homeschoolers tailor their students' courses to their abilitiies. As a result, many homeschooled students are prepared for college-level work in high school, at least in some subject areas.

As I type, I guess my question is this: Do AP classes rush a student through the high school academic "experience?"

Perhaps. OTOH, in the case of DS22, they allowed her to take very small loads in college and get the most from her college experience, at minimal cost.

Can you tell I'm a high school newbie mom?

Not at all! ;)

How do you know your student is ready for AP? Would this add stress to my vision of 4 more lovely years together pursuing truth, beauty and goodness in our homeschool? Is it an economic strategy to have our kids get some college credits in high school to shorten time on campus? I always thought AP was for gifted students. Aren't we already tailoring our kids' courses to their academic abilities? As I type, I guess my question is this: Do AP classes rush a student through the high school academic "experience?" Can you tell I'm a high school newbie mom? 😬

Only you can answer that.

We decided to start the AP journey this year as a continuation and expansion of the pursuit of truth, beauty, and goodness in our homeschool.

• Like 1

We did it a variety of ways.  For example, my son was able to take an AP class at the local high school.  For AP World History, my husband designed the course himself and had a local PS teacher sign on and approve of it.  I can't remember if the teacher had to be an AP-approved teacher or what.  Then my son also studied for three other AP courses.  He didn't take any actual class in these so wouldn't get credit for taking those specific AP courses.  He just was studying to take the test.

So in the spring, he took 5 AP tests at the local high school.  He passed all 5 AP tests, and had 2 AP courses on his transcripts.

I'm not even sure which ones transferred in the end, but I assume they at least helped him get into college.  :)

My daughter who took three AP classes was only allowed to transfer two.  They fulfilled requirements, but not credits.

I admit I am more skeptical of them than I used to be.

• Like 1

How do you know your student is ready for AP?

When they have completed standard high school level work in a subject area and want something more.

Would this add stress to my vision of 4 more lovely years together pursuing truth, beauty and goodness in our homeschool?

Probably.

Is it an economic strategy to have our kids get some college credits in high school to shorten time on campus?

It wasn't for us. We just wanted access to excellent classes. We could have done the local CC for less money, but the classes there are not more challenging than what I put together at home.

I always thought AP was for gifted students. Aren't we already tailoring our kids' courses to their academic abilities?

As I type, I guess my question is this: Do AP classes rush a student through the high school academic "experience?"

No, don't rush. If you get there, fine. If not, just keep moving forward.

Can you tell I'm a high school newbie mom? 😬

Maybe but we were all high school newbie moms at some point. It's ok.

APs aren't for everyone. They aren't always necessary. They aren't always best. They aren't always bad. They aren't always stressful. They aren't always rushing your student. They aren't always a change in homeschooling philosophy. 

However they can be any of those things. Watch your student. If you are trying to do a college prep education and you get them prepped and it isn't time to go yet (for any of 100 reasons), consider AP. We did have some really fantastic teachers at PA Homeschoolers and I do see it as an opportunity for those kids who want it and are ready for it. 

• Like 4

We did it a variety of ways.  For example, my son was able to take an AP class at the local high school.  For AP World History, my husband designed the course himself and had a local PS teacher sign on and approve of it.  I can't remember if the teacher had to be an AP-approved teacher or what.  Then my son also studied for three other AP courses.  He didn't take any actual class in these so wouldn't get credit for taking those specific AP courses.  He just was studying to take the test.

So in the spring, he took 5 AP tests at the local high school.  He passed all 5 AP tests, and had 2 AP courses on his transcripts.

I'm not even sure which ones transferred in the end, but I assume they at least helped him get into college.  :)

My daughter who took three AP classes was only allowed to transfer two.  They fulfilled requirements, but not credits.

I admit I am more skeptical of them than I used to be.

I am curious what the purpose was of having a local PS teacher sign off and approve the course your husband designed since only the College Board has the authority to approve a course in order for one to use the AP designation.

Also, colleges don't care whether or not a student took an actual AP class when determining whether credit will be granted - the colleges only look at the AP exam score when determining the amount of college credit to grant.

• Like 1

May I ask, are you in the US?

Ok, so I could use the texts as the basis of her high school education, but she may not be able to test, or use the tests?  

There are texts that are more commonly used in AP courses, but the texts are not the whole curriculum.  You'd have to get the whole curriculum approved by the College Board to call it an AP class, but it's perfectly okay to just self study without getting approval, then take the test.  A good score on the test is what potentially gives you college credit, not the course itself.  Only the test score counts.

Most colleges in the US give credit for 4's and 5's on AP tests, some give credit for 3's.  It's more likely to receive credit for if it's not a course reqruired for your major, but for some lower-tier schools, they'll often even give that to you.  The more prestigious the school, the pickier they are.

How do you, as a homeschooler, access the ap courses?  How do you get approval from the College Board? The College Board indicates the child would go through a school counselor?

As others have mentioned, there are courses you can take online (with approved curricula) that prepare you for the test.  Some brick and mortar schools will allow a homeschooler to take one or more courses at their high school, including APs.  That varies greatly by school.

Whether or not you can get a local school to give your child the test also appears to vary greatly.  Private schools seem to be a bit less picky, but many public schools are fine too.  My dd took two AP tests at the local public school this year.  That also varies greatly by school; only way to know is to ask.

I am curious what the purpose was of having a local PS teacher sign off and approve the course your husband designed since only the College Board has the authority to approve a course in order for one to use the AP designation.

Also, colleges don't care whether or not a student took an actual AP class when determining whether credit will be granted - the colleges only look at the AP exam score when determining the amount of college credit to grant.

Hmmm, that's a good question, and I don't remember exactly.  This was 10 years ago, in 2005-2006.  I'm guessing that it had to do with an AP-certified teacher being required to "oversee" a self-designed AP course and make sure it was still following the official syllabus.  I remember the teacher being in touch with the AP board to make sure it was all good.  They did use the official AP-World History syllabus as the spine.  I don't remember all the details of how that worked.

As far as the credit for actual classes...  I mean, my son didn't get credit on his high school transcript for taking an AP European History course, for example, if he only studied for the exam.

I have had 3 AP syllabuses approved by College Board. It required attention to detail but isn't particularly hard to go through. Each of these is listed at an AP course on my transcript for that kid.

If I didn't get a course approved but they took the test I would put something like "US History with AP exam" on the transcript and then list the score. If my kid studies enough to pass an AP exam I am content to give him high school credit for that.

IMHO the courses all have different expectations. AP English is often taken junior or senior year as a course for many honors students. AP foreign language is often the 4-5 th year of language study. AP Biology seems to assume a regular bio class was already taken. There are now 4 different AP Physics courses at two different difficulty levels. In other words you need to consider the course description carefully to decide if that is what you want to spend your time on.

We skipped AP World History because I didn't like the course design. I'm pretty ambivalent about AP US History which seems to have had all the joy sucked out of it. But we loved the government courses and really got into good stuff there.