Menu

My idiot BIL....

*lifeoftheparty*

I got paid to help "fix" the Y2K "problem" on a military base.  We all knew the odds of anything actually going wrong even without the patches we had to deploy were slim to none.  Very few of the computers on that base has the year problem and most of those were not hooked to the network.  But the government paid a fortune to "fix" it anyway.

I spent NYE at work at our software company, just in case. Sigh.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, Y2K...

That was some fantastic prepping for the End Of The World, I must say.

Chilled champagne and/or warmed brandy, hot hors d'Oeuvres, alternating jazz and Bach on the ol' hi-fi (yes, really), and a group of friends reading Shakespeare aloud in front of a crackling fire in the fireplace.

That, my friends, is how one should always welcome the Apocalypse, in my rarely humble opinion.

• Like 11

Hasn't anyone mentioned to him, "no one knows the time or the hour?"  There is little to do  to prepare even if it was today or tomorrow but be faithful.

I actually feel sorry for your brother in law.  On the one hand, like Cat said, just imagine HOW stressful this is for him because he *really* believes it. :(  Then the embarrassment and confusion that must follow today.   :(

Taken literally, that just means they can be sure they have it down to the day, and hold out until midnight...and then give it a few more days because after all this prophecy business is imprecise. You can't know the time or the hour! It doesn't say you can't know the day, or be right about "soon!"

I'm suddenly reminded of that movie about the kid who grows up in a bomb shelter because his father is convinced it's the end and seals them in for twenty years when an airplane coincidentally hits their house while they're huddled down there.

• Like 2

I'm suddenly reminded of that movie about the kid who grows up in a bomb shelter because his father is convinced it's the end and seals them in for twenty years when an airplane coincidentally hits their house while they're huddled down there.

Sorry, hijack - do you remember the name of that movie? Was it older? Did you just ruin the ending for me? :p

Taken literally, that just means they can be sure they have it down to the day, and hold out until midnight...and then give it a few more days because after all this prophecy business is imprecise. You can't know the time or the hour! It doesn't say you can't know the day, or be right about "soon!"

Blast from the past.

I got paid to help "fix" the Y2K "problem" on a military base.  We all knew the odds of anything actually going wrong even without the patches we had to deploy were slim to none.  Very few of the computers on that base has the year problem and most of those were not hooked to the network.  But the government paid a fortune to "fix" it anyway.

Back when I was a computer analyst, I did some Y2K work myself on some legacy systems ... holdovers from the Assembly programming language days when saving every bit possible was absolutely necessary.  It was a lot of work.  Knowing that there were lots of other "programming shops" that weren't nearly as thorough as where I worked, I had some foreboding .  I didn't expect world-wide chaos, but didn't think it was outside the realm of possibilities that there would be some temporary issues.  I only prepped like I would for a big winter storm.  I am glad there weren't any problems other than a few things IT managers forgot about. 

Hoping everything is OK with OP's family.