Menu

starting weight training encouragement

HollyDay

I found a book on women and weight training that some ladies from the board mentioned.  It is an excellent book.  I learned a great deal.  So, I started yesterday thinking I'd do the warm up then walk through the routine, learning the exercises and proper form. 

I didn't make it past the warm up! The warm up kicked my butt!!!

No flexibility.  No endurance.

Did not at all expect that.  I thought I was in a little better shape than that!!!!!

HELP!!!  Pass the encouragement to keep me going and not feel like a total gym reject!!!!!

• Like 1

You won't be a reject. Your body will adapt and get stronger. Check out the transformation stories on Bodybuilding.com...they are amazing! 

When I started lifting not too long ago, I couldn't even finish a bicep curl set with 8 lb weights. Now the 15s are getting too light. Stick with it, adapt as needed. If there is a day you feel too tired to pick up the weights, move down to a lower weight. There are days when I call it a success just to get to the gym. 

Best of luck! Feel free to Pm me anytime! 

• Like 3

You won't be a reject. Your body will adapt and get stronger. Check out the transformation stories on Bodybuilding.com...they are amazing! 

When I started lifting not too long ago, I couldn't even finish a bicep curl set with 8 lb weights. Now the 15s are getting too light. Stick with it, adapt as needed. If there is a day you feel too tired to pick up the weights, move down to a lower weight. There are days when I call it a success just to get to the gym. 

Best of luck! Feel free to Pm me anytime! 

Well, I was using 3lb weights today and they were a bit heavy :blushing:

• Like 3

Sometimes I see what other women are lifting and think to myself, "You're so weak." And then I realize that's why I'm in the gym. Just do what you can do and don't look at what anyone else is doing. Everyone has their own goals. Focus only on meeting yours. And some days you will feel weak or tired even though you've been working out for awhile. It's normal. The most important thing, imo, is to make it a regular thing and workout even when you don't feel like it. I've never regretted working out, but I've always regretted NOT working out.

Best wishes!

• Like 2

I found a book on women and weight training that some ladies from the board mentioned.  It is an excellent book.  I learned a great deal.  So, I started yesterday thinking I'd do the warm up then walk through the routine, learning the exercises and proper form. 

I didn't make it past the warm up! The warm up kicked my butt!!!

No flexibility.  No endurance.

Did not at all expect that.  I thought I was in a little better shape than that!!!!!

HELP!!!  Pass the encouragement to keep me going and not feel like a total gym reject!!!!!

Was the book New Rules for Lifting for Women? 

Anyway, don't know whether this will encourage you or discourage you but I started in Feb with push-ups on the kitchen counter and just last week was able to do my first push-up on my knees! I had to work down to the railing on the back deck, then down to the 4th step up from the ground, then the 3rd step up, etc. And I could only do one on my knees. But I'll keep working. Slow and steady and all that! If you're young, you will probably build more quickly, but slow works. Steady is the key! 

As for warm-ups:here's a suggestion: Do a 10 min walk as a general warm up to get the blood flowing. Then before each weight lifting exercise, do it in an easier way than you will do it "for real." For instance, if you are going to do push-ups and you will be aiming for them on the kitchen counter, do a warm-up set of wall push-ups. (Or if you can  do them on the floor, do a set on the steps with your upper body higher than your lower body.) The muscles you are preparing to use will  get "waked up" and go through the movement, but aren't stressed. Then they are ready when you actually go for it. If you're going to do 10 body squats, do 10 "stand ups" from a chair first. I have found those kinds of warm ups to be helpful. 

• Like 2

I feel good every day when I'm lifting. That is priceless. The amount doesn't matter. Me benching 60 pounds is the same *effort* as my husband benching 180, and effort is what gets your body to be better.

• Like 5

Just wanted to give you some kudos, you started, right? How many people never start. Now you have to keep going. Yes, it absolutely sucks to find out you are starting out not as in shape as you thought but that is a wake-up call. It doesn't come without work and you have to start where you're at, everyone has had that feeling of being disappointed about where you are, everyone!!! 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the book is New Rules of Lifting for Women :)

Op, stick with it! I started weight training in February. I couldn't do a simple step-up; now I can step up on a 14" high step holding 10lb dumbbells (my inseam is only 26" so 14" is huge). I could squat pretty well; now I can deep squat holding 40 lbs. I couldn't do a basic lunge without wobbling; now I can do walking lunges all around the gym holding 15 lb dumbbells. I can benchpress 60 lb, baby!

You should see my rocking arms now :D And my jiggly thighs are becoming a thing of the past :D (The abs...well, they still say "three kids" :lol:)

• Like 4

Stick with the weight training you will be amazed at how much your body will change.  I workout at home using dumbbells so I don't do crossfit weights mine are more moderate weights.  

I started off years ago getting fatigue with 3 and 5lb dumbbells.  I couldn't'' do a push up for nothing.  I tried Jillian's 30 day shred and couldn't get through level 1.  I can now do all  3 levels together.    I started Chalene Extreme yes it was cheesy but I got strong, could do push ups on my toes with in about 3 months of really building up to heavy  weights.  Then I went on to do her Turbo Fire and increased my cardio endurance

I'm now 4 years later doing chin ups and working up to pullups.  I can do around 70 push-ups on my toes.  I do p90x level cardio workouts routinely.  I'm in the best shape of my life.   I hate p90x but I use that as an example cause so many people have seen the info commercial.  I'm an advance fitness person who would of thought

I love being physically fit and feel so young for my 45 yo self.   I here literally everyday that people think 10 years younger.  I guarantee that's do to being muscular   fit and great posture (thanks to the weight) and not getting the middle age spread which having lots of muscle keeps your metabolism high so you can actually eat.

I'm 5'3 and if I didn't weight lift the recommend calorie count for my body is like 1300 calories a day.  I eat around 2000 (I love muscle) and no I"m not overweight. I weight 125lbs

So hope this post was motivating. 

I

• Like 4