Menu

If you were asked to tutor reading and math online to 6 year old...

lisabees

How would you do it?

I am not familiar with the online options I have.  Skype?  Some kind of whiteboard?  Put it up on youtube?

Hoping you may have some fabulous ideas for me!

ETA:  This is for my nephew(s).  No pressure about money.  We are just trying to see if it can work.  

Just my two cents:

I wouldn't tutor a 6yo online. I would help the family find local tutoring, if I felt led to help the situation.

Online tutoring, my own (very limited) experience, is best for older kids. Little ones need a teacher who is physically present.

Thanks for the input.

This would be for my nephew(s).  My brother seems to think I am the best option, and there is no extra money to spare.

So, we can be flexible in the learning curve.  And I will give my brother and wife "homework" that they can do one on one with the boys.

Thanks again!

The problem with YouTube is it's not interactive--it wouldn't really be tutoring. If you must do it online, I would use Skype, and the two of you will need identical sets of materials, plus he may need someone beside him to help him.

• Like 1

The problem with YouTube is it's not interactive--it wouldn't really be tutoring. If you must do it online, I would use Skype, and the two of you will need identical sets of materials, plus he may need someone beside him to help him.

Oooh.  Quite true about the identical materials.

One of his parents will definitely be next to him.

Thanks!

• Like 1

My next comment would be:  Hey great job Auntie for even considering trying.  Kuddos to you for caring enough to think about taking this on. 

Things I think would need to be considered (and I agree with others, on-line tutoring for a 6 year old seems like a bad idea to me; tutoring the parents so they can tutor the child might be more effective):

1.  Skype might be the best option but a parent would need to be sitting with the child on the other end.  You tube is not interactive.  This child will need immediate feedback and interaction.

2.  Sessions would need to be short.

3.  The child/parents would need to have access to the same materials you are using.

4.  If there are any undiagnosed learning issues (such as dyslexia), on-line tutoring is probably not going to address those issues.

5.  If the child is just needing more time and his school is pushing developmentally inappropriate materials then on-line tutoring may or may not help.

Hugs and best wishes.

I think coming up with lots of online or free materials for the parents would be best. Khan academy for math. Reading Made Easy with Blend Phonics is free and good. It has specific instruction to the teacher in how to teach the child to read. Progressive Phonics is also free and easy for a non confident parent-teacher to teach. Ask me how I know! Unless the parents are not that bright, and I suspect they are very bright, or there are significant learning challenges, they can be just as effective in helping the nephew as a wonderful trained tutor would be. If the nephew has specific learning challenges, I don't think distance learning would work too well.

Is the nephew significantly behind or delayed with reading and math? Does he attend school? I only ask because 6 years old, without LD. is quite young to already need extra help beyond short daily lessons provided at school and reinforced in the home. I have a friend whose son was slightly behind math at age 6 and she paid for weekly tutoring. He wasn't that behind and was only a tad behind because he was transitioning from Montessoori K to traditional school 1st grade. He had the lowest grade in his small class, but he was passing. The teacher didn't suggest a tutor. I gently told my friend it was likely her son would catch up within the year without the tutoring, but she still hired one. She wanted me to tutor him, but I had a full plate at the time. Just bringing this up in case the only reason for tutoring is the nephew is a tad behind and is on course to bloom in his own time. Not judging if it is the reason ;) .

One of mine was working at a low K reading level at the start of what would be labeled 1st grade homeschool. By the end of the school year, she was reading at mid 2nd grade level. That was with only 10-15 min/school day of one on one instruction by a non confident parent-teacher aka myself. No big deal for me she was behind her peers, but had she been in regular school I am certain the teacher would have suggested tutoring. I mean, who goes into 1st grade not reading novels yet these days?

J/K on the last line.

Edited to correct multiple typing errors. Apologies for the ones that remain.

Thanks for the input.

This would be for my nephew(s).  My brother seems to think I am the best option, and there is no extra money to spare.

So, we can be flexible in the learning curve.  And I will give my brother and wife "homework" that they can do one on one with the boys.

Thanks again!

If the boy has no SLDs, no ADHD, nothing AT ALL contributing to this scenario, then give them $200 to get the BJU math and Reading when it goes on sale in Nov/Dec.  It will be online, actually meant for that scenario, and will be better than spending your time.  They're entertaining, give you almost everything you need as pdfs and online texts, and do things like pausing to let the student read, etc.  It really is the best way if there's nothing going on.  If you would have spent 1 hour a week preparing and 2 hours a week teaching over 33 weeks, do the math on that $ per hour and see if it's worth your time to teach him.  It's not.  

Don't be sentimental about this.  I got asked to teach someone once, and it very quickly became obvious that they wanted was something for nothing and to have the perks of homeschooling without any of the problems. I'm not meaning to be harsh on your family, but I'm just saying people cannot just throw their problems on you.  They have to solve their own problems.  And setting it up with this "oh, you're the best and we have no other options" is ABSURD.  They have options.  They don't LIKE the options.  They birthed him and it's their problem.  You don't want to be their excuse not to grapple with reality and solve their problems.

If the boy has learning disabilities, ADHD, or some other SN (very possible, maybe not yet diagnosed, but a common driver of scenarios like this), then it may be out of your experience realm.  There ARE tutors who will work online for dyslexia, for instance.  It can be done.  Sure wouldn't be appropriate with my 6 yo nor would it have been appropriate with my dd at that age.  What a DISASTER that would be.  

Don't get caught in their emotional game.  If they have no options but no SN, they can use CLE (idiot-proof) or BJU online (also idiot proof).  If they can't afford $200, give up haircuts, your cell phone, whatever.  Don't get sucked into their games.  We always have options.  It's whether we're willing to do what it would take.

• Like 2

If the boy has no SLDs, no ADHD, nothing AT ALL contributing to this scenario, then give them $200 to get the BJU math and Reading when it goes on sale in Nov/Dec. It will be online, actually meant for that scenario, and will be better than spending your time. They're entertaining, give you almost everything you need as pdfs and online texts, and do things like pausing to let the student read, etc. It really is the best way if there's nothing going on. If you would have spent 1 hour a week preparing and 2 hours a week teaching over 33 weeks, do the math on that $ per hour and see if it's worth your time to teach him. It's not.

Don't be sentimental about this. I got asked to teach someone once, and it very quickly became obvious that they wanted was something for nothing and to have the perks of homeschooling without any of the problems. I'm not meaning to be harsh on your family, but I'm just saying people cannot just throw their problems on you. They have to solve their own problems. And setting it up with this "oh, you're the best and we have no other options" is ABSURD. They have options. They don't LIKE the options. They birthed him and it's their problem. You don't want to be their excuse not to grapple with reality and solve their problems.

If the boy has learning disabilities, ADHD, or some other SN (very possible, maybe not yet diagnosed, but a common driver of scenarios like this), then it may be out of your experience realm. There ARE tutors who will work online for dyslexia, for instance. It can be done. Sure wouldn't be appropriate with my 6 yo nor would it have been appropriate with my dd at that age. What a DISASTER that would be.

Don't get caught in their emotional game. If they have no options but no SN, they can use CLE (idiot-proof) or BJU online (also idiot proof). If they can't afford $200, give up haircuts, your cell phone, whatever. Don't get sucked into their games. We always have options. It's whether we're willing to do what it would take.

Big sidetrack and way OT, BUT, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For all of this. I needed to hear these exact words this morning as I am facing a difficult confrontation with a neighbor this morning who has laid the burden of her husband's declining health problems on me because I am qualified to help as a trained health care provider and I am right across the street. Dh says the family needs hired help or the children of the neighbors to take FMLA from their high paid jobs, but I have been delaying that reality to them for being too available and too helpful for too long. He is right, the family is not poor or destitute. The son and DIL who make good money and stay busy with social commitments are currently on vacation at the beach while neighborsays she needs my help. Time for tough love.

Wow, I have been waiting to vent that a long time. It feels good to let it out. Maybe more apprpriate to vent in my own JAWM thread, but had to detour the thread in response to your great advice. I will memorize your advice as I gear up for backing off of said situation. Now back to our regularly scheduled program, how does one tutor a 6yo via computer?

If the boy has no SLDs, no ADHD, nothing AT ALL contributing to this scenario, then give them $200 to get the BJU math and Reading when it goes on sale in Nov/Dec. It will be online, actually meant for that scenario, and will be better than spending your time. They're entertaining, give you almost everything you need as pdfs and online texts, and do things like pausing to let the student read, etc. It really is the best way if there's nothing going on. If you would have spent 1 hour a week preparing and 2 hours a week teaching over 33 weeks, do the math on that $ per hour and see if it's worth your time to teach him. It's not.

Don't be sentimental about this. I got asked to teach someone once, and it very quickly became obvious that they wanted was something for nothing and to have the perks of homeschooling without any of the problems. I'm not meaning to be harsh on your family, but I'm just saying people cannot just throw their problems on you. They have to solve their own problems. And setting it up with this "oh, you're the best and we have no other options" is ABSURD. They have options. They don't LIKE the options. They birthed him and it's their problem. You don't want to be their excuse not to grapple with reality and solve their problems.

If the boy has learning disabilities, ADHD, or some other SN (very possible, maybe not yet diagnosed, but a common driver of scenarios like this), then it may be out of your experience realm. There ARE tutors who will work online for dyslexia, for instance. It can be done. Sure wouldn't be appropriate with my 6 yo nor would it have been appropriate with my dd at that age. What a DISASTER that would be.

Don't get caught in their emotional game. If they have no options but no SN, they can use CLE (idiot-proof) or BJU online (also idiot proof). If they can't afford $200, give up haircuts, your cell phone, whatever. Don't get sucked into their games. We always have options. It's whether we're willing to do what it would take.

I'm sorry, but I must agree with this. 100%.

Realize what they are saying: "We have no way for our SIX year old child to learn unless you teach him from a distance. We can't afford anything and have no good options."

What? Really? In the USA we have free and public education for those who can't afford private tutoring or homeschooling, or who are otherwise ill-equipped to teach their own children. It's often not ideal. It can be truly awful. But their child is their responsibility, and if they can't or won't work with the school they need to be the ones to provide alternatives. And make the sacrifices to pay for those alternatives, themselves.

If they can't provide for his education this year, what is their plan for next year and on through high school graduation? Again, no. Desperate calls for free or discount tutoring are to be reserved for teens who are at risk of not graduating, not for children who are still below compulsory school age in some states and whose feet should be set on a strong path.

It's so hard to watch our nieces and nephews fall thru the cracks. I've BTDT and I absolutely hate it. But we are not their parents.

• Like 2

Big sidetrack and way OT, BUT, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For all of this. I needed to hear these exact words this morning as I am facing a difficult confrontation with a neighbor this morning who has laid the burden of her husband's declining health problems on me because I am qualified to help as a trained health care provider and I am right across the street. Dh says the family needs hired help or the children of the neighbors to take FMLA from their high paid jobs, but I have been delaying that reality to them for being too available and too helpful for too long. He is right, the family is not poor or destitute. The son and DIL who make good money and stay busy with social commitments are currently on vacation at the beach while neighborsays she needs my help. Time for tough love.

Wow, I have been waiting to vent that a long time. It feels good to let it out. Maybe more apprpriate to vent in my own JAWM thread, but had to detour the thread in response to your great advice. I will memorize your advice as I gear up for backing off of said situation. Now back to our regularly scheduled program, how does one tutor a 6yo via computer?

We called hospice for my FIL last night and they're there as we speak.  I'm sitting here just biting my nails and chewing time.  So I get how hard making that phone call is.  If you do these things for them, not only are you keeping them from the joy and maturing of caring for their loved one, but you're keeping the spouse from getting the support she would receive by getting into the larger system she's meant to be in (hospice, counseling, spiritual support, etc.).  And yeah, if family is taking fancy vacations and not caring for their father, that's reprobate, utterly reprobate.

ANYONE can refer to hospice, if that's what you're saying he needs.  I think the kids can even be sued for elder abuse if they won't care for their father.  

Just say "I'm SO sorry, but I have had some things come up and I CANNOT do that care for you anymore.  Here's the number for hospice.  I will bring you dinner once a week."  Unless you're comfortable being their medical care.  Some people do that.  A lady in the church who was a nurse came in and helped care for my grandfather when he was dying.  But they also had hospice, kwim?  It's just that it takes MORE than one person or even more than just hospice is going to do.  And if that family were surrounding him with love and proper care and you were just a little help, you wouldn't mind.  But that's too much legal responsibility and personal responsibility to guilt someone into helping.  They need to make the team and then you'd be HAPPY to be there a bit as neighborly emotional support.  You're not insensitive.  It's just they need to do their job.

Tough love.  Give 'em the phone number for hospice or whatever it is they need and help the wife make the call.

• Like 1

It's so hard to watch our nieces and nephews fall thru the cracks. I've BTDT and I absolutely hate it. But we are not their parents.

Bingo.  And when you interject yourself in that process, you fail to allow them to LEARN the hard way how they're going to have to be the parents.

• Like 1

OhElizabeth, I am sorry about your FIL and hope all the needs are met in that situation. The words you have given to OP are very wise. They carryover into multiple life situations in regards to personal responsibility towards others outside the home.

I sent my neighbor a nice text message and plan to go over there this evening to talk. Her husband is under hospice care, but needs more than hospice at this point so the dependency on me has been gradual as they are just winging it day by day. It has crossed the line for what they are asking of me, but I have enabled their dependency on me by being too helpful and too available the last few weeks as they gradually started requiring more help. I do want to be helpful to the neighbor, just in a temporary pinch, not as an ongoing responsibility that interferes with my immediate family responsibilities and current relationship commitments outside the home. I do want to help out, but help to the degree other neighbors are helping like taking an occasional meal or picking things up at the store when I am out on errands once in awhile. Dh and I had already discussed my saying something similiar to what you suggested. Here's hoping it goes well, but if it doesn't it is a learning experience for next time I am asked to take on a responsibility that is not mine to take.

To get back to topic, the OP may or may not be in a situation where her brother is taking advantage of OP. It sounds like he is, but he may not be doing so intentionally. But even with purest of motives, there are plenty of resources to help the parents that would be more effective than long distance tutoring at such a young age. The time and effort the parents would have to assist with the online tutoring would likely be the same as if they just did it themselves with a step by step scripted lesson plan. For math, I thought about simple card games. Rightstart's Go to the Dump game can be played with a regular deck of cards minus the face cards. My kids watch the show Odd Squad on PBS and learn a small amount of fun math from that. I think Leapfrog has a math video. Leapfrog's phonics videos taught my daughter basic phonics which took a load off me when I started teaching blending. Youtube has multiple videos with catchy skip counting tunes. The library has plenty of selections of living math books. My friend uses those tyoe books successfully for math reinforcement. I don't have a list since I haven't used those type books, but if you are interested start a thread asking others for the names of some library living math books appropriate for that age.

Have a good day ladies, and thank you for giving a little space for an OT vent.

• Like 1