Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW26: halfway there!

Robin M

Someone provided a link to Stop You're Killing Me http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/for their e newsletter when I first joined BaW and I thought some of our newer people might enjoy it. I like it for the What we are reading section but for cozy readers it generally has a handy new releases and new characters section too! I found an interesting one there today, The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair, which I have downloaded. My search for a couple of the others didn't end successfully. ;(

Yesterday I finished a fluffy book by Vonnie Davis, The Highlander's Passion. This series has me a torn, I like the character mix .....bear, yes bear not wolf shapeshifters and some witches runnng a castle hotel in Scotland but the dialogue is aweful. Hard to read because of all the swearing in a Scottish accent, normally I just skim those bits but the accent means I have to read so I don't miss storyline. These books have adult content, once again Scottish accented so can't totally skim. I find this series humorous although I have no idea why I have read two of them.

• Like 5

I finished reading :

15.  Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein.  I loved it.  There were things in this book I never saw coming.  best book!  It has been a few weeks and i still catch myself thinking, "I never saw that coming"

I took some rabbit trails and found out  about the Nazi party in England during WW2. 

I am working on the Book of Ages:  the Life and Opinion of Jane Franklin (sister of Ben).  really liking this book, but it is slow going.  I found the prologue fascinating.

My library book club has picked several excellent books this year. Atomic Girls, Code Name Verity and Book of Ages were library picks.

It was my greatest expectation to be able to read more this summer and my reading is not panning out, but I am having a lot of fun and my house is clean.

1.  Maggie's Mistake by Carolyn Brown 

2.  Sleeping Coconut by John and Bonnie Nystrom

3.. Becoming Bea by Leslie Gould 

4Amish Baby  Kristina Ludwig

5. Amish Bakery Challenge  Kristina Ludwig

6.Amish Awakening  Kristina Ludwig

7. The Girls o Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II by Denise Kiernan  

8. Adoniram Judson by Janet and George Benge 

9.The Ladies Room by Carolyn Brown

10.  PMS club by Carolyn Brown  this author makes me laugh.

11.  The Amish Clockmaker by Mindy Starns Clark and Susan Meissner.  This was not what I was expecting.   It was really good. 

The plot was different and the ending open.  Sometimes  authors stick with formulas that become predictable and I get bored.  This book did not bore me.

12.The Trouble with Patience Maggie Brendan

13.  Twice Promised Maggie Brendan

14.  Promise of Palm Grove Shelley Shepherd Grey

• Like 8

I finished Bubba and the Dead Woman.  It was funny and a nice mind vacation.  4/5 stars.  It needs an editor and the author needs to learn how to properly use commas.  Now I'm reading Jeannie Out of the Bottle by Barbara Eden.  I saw her speak and even got my picture taken with her at Dallas Fan Expo in May.  I used to love watching I Dream of Jeannie in reruns when I was a kid.

• Like 7

I finished the most recent Inspector Gamache novel last night, The Long Way Home. It has all the elements that I so love and appreciate in Louise Penny's books, all wrapped up in comfortably beautiful prose. There are long conversations about art, about what it means to be an artist and what art can say about the creator as well as what art can say or do for those who appreciate it.  There is poetry and love and deep friendships.  And there is food. Oh my goodness these people are constantly eating and have the best stocked kitchens in the world!  Brie! Baguettes! Chutney and preserves! And there is a mystery, but it isn't what you think it is going to be, and you have to suspend disbelief in order to get past the plot details that move along the solving of the mystery. But, to me at least, the story is about art and artists, about love of place and of people. 

• Like 8

A couple of reading notes:

In The Golden Legend, I found it odd that Saint Vitus is mentioned but no reference to what we associate with him, Saint Vitus Dance, i.e. Sydenham's chorea as it is now known.  A rabbit trail reveals that people in Germany and Latvia venerated the saint by dancing in front of his statue, hence the name given to a disease that causes jerky movements of the hands and feet. 

Saint Vitus holds a special place in my heart despite his removal from the Catholic liturgical calendar in 1969.  The cathedral in Prague bearing his name is glorious.  I went back into the photo albums to revisit Saint Vitus, a part of the Prague Castle complex.  The cathedral has amazing flying buttress work:

15214081617_c8f0963213.jpg

This photo, taken from the bell tower, also displays one of the many chickens decorating the cathedral, the chicken being associated with Saint Vitus.

Saint Vitus, another rabbit trail reveals, was one of the "Fourteen Holy Helpers", a group of saints whose intercession would be requested when battling disease. The tradition of the Fourteen Holy Helpers goes back to the 14th century plague epidemics.

Smollett's Peregrine Pickle offers another glimpse into the past.  Essentially the novel consists of many short chapters describing the adventures and practical jokes of our hero, most of which display the foibles of humanity.  Suppose one could be a fly on the wall in a coffee house around 1750, listening to the bravado of the men chatting within.  This is how I view the novel.

Here is a bit of advice on coping with sea sickness, a quote that comes as our hero Peregrine and his chaperone (or "governor") make the crossing from England to France:

The sea running pretty high at the same time, our hero, who was below in his cabin, began to be squeamish, and, in consequence of the skipper's advice, went upon the deck for the comfort of his stomach; while the governor, experienced in these disasters, slipt into bed, where he lay at his ease, amusing himself with a treatise on the cycloid, with algebraical demonstrations, which never failed to engage his imagination in the most agreeable manner.

Who needs Dramamime when you have mathematics!

• Like 10

My neighborhood Wee Free Library had a copy of Anita Lobel's memoir No Pretty Pictures which a board search reveals moved Ali a few years ago.  I actually left this book in the library box when I last checked it on Sunday.  Today I saw that it was waiting patiently for me so I brought the book home.

Lobel was a child who fled from the Nazis and was later captured by them.  This is the story of her childhood--and her recovery from it.

I don't think I will be reading this book immediately but I suspect that it is another destined for the mailboxes of other BaWers eventually.

I finished reading :

15.  Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein.  I loved it.  There were things in this book I never saw coming.  best book!  It has been a few weeks and i still catch myself thinking, "I never saw that coming"

I took some rabbit trails and found out  about the Nazi party in England during WW2. 

These posts prompt me to mention a book I read several years ago and ran across while reorganizing the book shelves a couple days ago.

To See You Again: A True Story of Love in a Time of War
by Betty Schimmel  and Joyce Gabriel 

From Publishers Weekly
Recounting how she fled from the German invasion of Czechoslovakia with her immediate family to Hungary, where she met her first love, Richie Kovacs, in 1939, Schimmel offers a somewhat uneasy combination of teenage love story and Holocaust testament. As teenagers, the pair vowed to remain eternally true. But as Jews, they were forced to endure the pain of separation when Schimmel, her mother, brother and sister were marched to the Mauthausen death camp in 1944 (her father had disappeared earlier on a refugee-smuggling mission, never to be heard from again). Against all odds, the family survived the winter and were liberated by American troops in 1945. While living in a displaced person's camp, Schimmel found Kovac's name on a list of the dead. She subsequently met and married Otto Schimmel, an Auschwitz survivor, although she warned him she could not fully return his love. The Schimmels and Betty's mother moved to America, but in her prosperous new life Betty never forgot her first love. She returned to Budapest with her daughter in 1975 and, in a hotel dining room, miraculously recognized Richie. Their emotional reunion was like a dream come true, but in the end, Betty chose to return home to Otto. Schimmel's testament as a Holocaust survivor is simply told and affecting, but the breathless passages describing her teenage love affair may alienate readers who suspect that her 50-year obsession more likely stems from nostalgia for the charmed, lost world of pre-Hitler Europe than from any connection with a man she knew half a century ago. Photos not seen by PW. Agent, David Hendin; BOMC selection. (Oct.) 
Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From Library Journal
As recounted in this gripping memoir, Schimmel left an idyllic childhood in rural Czechoslovakia to move with her family to Hungary, where World War II overshadowed her first great romance. (Thirty years later, she returned to Budapest to find her old love.) After Betty's father disappeared while helping refugees in North Africa, her mother struggled to raise three children as they were forced from their home into the crowded ghetto in occupied Budapest. The family then endured a grim march across Hungary (in winter) to the Mauthausen, Austria, concentration campAfrom which they were finally liberated in 1945. The extraordinary coincidences that forced Betty to confront her past make this true story of her family's miraculous survival and subsequent adaptation to a new life in North America all the more riveting. Highly recommended for all collections.AKim Baxter, New Jersey Inst. of Technology, Newark 
  • Like 7

I read an intriguing book last night; it was set in WW1 (primarily in France) which is an era I don't usually encounter in historical romances.  The premise was unique, and I enjoyed it.  This would likely be classified as a sweet romance, so I don't believe anyone would find it offensive.  I see it's the first in a series; I would definitely read more.  I suspect future books would feature different characters.

Angel of the Somme by Terri Meeker

"Captain Sam Dwight never thought his pre-war vow to "make a difference for good in the world" would come back to haunt him. After suffering a grievous head wound in battle, he awakens in a field hospital, barely able to utter a word.

How fast would his beautiful, determined nurse call for a straitjacket if she knew that every time a bright light flickers in his eyes, he is transported back to the trenches, reaching out to heal a wounded soldier in a flash of dazzling light?

Lily Curtis has seen many a soldier racked with guilt, but she's never seen one will himself to induce life-threatening seizures. She fears that next time, her hands won't be quick enough to save her handsome, apparently suicidal charge.

As rumors of an ethereal battlefield specter reach the ward, Sam becomes convinced that his front line mercy missions are real. But with each trip, he spins the roulette wheel with his own life while Lily's love and the lives of those at the hospital hang in the balance."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I encountered this post on the Tor blog this morning that made me think of you, Jane in NC, since I know you're a Dunnett fan.

Five Things Epic Fantasy Writers Could Learn from Dorothy Dunnett by Marie Brennan

This NPR post was mentioned in the comments ~

All The Writers You Love Probably Love Dorothy Dunnett by Alaya Dawn Johnson

Are there other Dunnett fans here?  I've yet to read anything by her, but I've heard good things about her books for years.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I encountered this post on the Tor blog this morning that made me think of you, Jane in NC, since I know you're a Dunnett fan.

Five Things Epic Fantasy Writers Could Learn from Dorothy Dunnett by Marie Brennan

This NPR post was mentioned in the comments ~

All The Writers You Love Probably Love Dorothy Dunnett by Alaya Dawn Johnson

Are there other Dunnett fans here?  I've yet to read anything by her, but I've heard good things about her books for years.

Regards,

Kareni

Always nice to receive validation that I am correct.  ;) :cool:

From the NPR piece:

[Writer Ellen]Kushner has taken to calling the novels "the Dorothy Dunnett Six-Book Writers' Academy."

• Like 4

I finished reading :

I keep seeing this mentioned and my DD LOVED it.  It's going in my to-read ASAP stack.  

Two of the books made a strong impression on me. The Pearl that Broke its Shell took me to a world in Afghanistan that I knew nothing about, and when I say it took me to that world, I mean that after spending an afternoon immersed in the book I had a culture shock returning to my own life. I really expected to see the landscape and people of Afghanistan outside my door, lol. The second book that made a strong impression was All Fall Down. I could see how a person could become addicted to a substance and justify it to themselves long after it was seriously affecting their life. The only part of the book that I felt was unrealistic was the change in her daughter towards the end...in my experience, high-intensity children don't magically outgrow it...well, ever, I don't think; and definitely not over a period of weeks or months before they reach their seventh birthday.  :lol:

I am about to begin the third book in the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny, and I am loving the books!

I finished the most recent Inspector Gamache novel last night, The Long Way Home. It has all the elements that I so love and appreciate in Louise Penny's books, all wrapped up in comfortably beautiful prose. There are long conversations about art, about what it means to be an artist and what art can say about the creator as well as what art can say or do for those who appreciate it.  There is poetry and love and deep friendships.  And there is food. Oh my goodness these people are constantly eating and have the best stocked kitchens in the world!  Brie! Baguettes! Chutney and preserves! And there is a mystery, but it isn't what you think it is going to be, and you have to suspend disbelief in order to get past the plot details that move along the solving of the mystery. But, to me at least, the story is about art and artists, about love of place and of people. 

I adore Gamache too.  The audiobook narrator is splendid.  I love her writing style where we are always left a little bit hanging at the end of a scene.  And I adore her characters.  I've been warned by a friend that someone we love in one of the books is going to commit a crime and that has me worried because I love all the characters.  Basically I want to go live in Three Pines.  

* I'm listening to book three right now.

• Like 6

I finished Rebecca and was reluctantly drawn to tears during the scene with the dress at the Manderly ball, even though I knew what was going to happen. The ending was refreshed for me because I had forgotten some of the details. Our book club picked Wuthering Heights for the next book.

Right now I'm reading Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman, which I found in the thrift store. Apparently it was a best seller at one time, but I had never heard of it. The chapters are light and quick. You might call it 101 ways to imagine time.

• Like 6

Going off-topic & talking about movies....

Recently I've seen the Jurassic Park movie that is out (hated it), Spy (campy fun, probably ok to see at the dollar theater or wait for it on dvd), and Love & Mercy (the Brian Wilson -- of the Beach Boys -- biopic).

Saw Love & Mercy tonight with a friend & I was impressed by the movie. The Beach Boys are a little before my time, so I really didn't know much about them as a band or about Brian Wilson specifically. Even so, the movie was well-told & well-done with some impressive acting, especially by Paul Dano & John Cusack. It was also nice to see & know that Brian Wilson's life had taken a turn for the better (much better) by the end of the movie. I'd recommend it.

• Like 5

Yesterday I read two romantic suspense novels by Rachel Grant ~

Incriminating Evidence (Evidence Series Book 4)

and

Covert Evidence (Evidence Series Book 5)

These can stand alone though occasionally characters from previous books make an appearance.  I enjoyed them both.

The author's first book in the series is currently FREE to Kindle readers if you'd like to sample her writing ~

Concrete Evidence (Evidence Series) (Volume 1)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Going off-topic & talking about movies....

Recently I've seen the Jurassic Park movie that is out (hated it), 

Wait, what?!  Really? You hated it?  I thought it was a good popcorn movie -- the perfect summertime action movie, totally stupid, but I was amused and entertained for a few hours.

Inside Out left me rather cold. We are generally big Pixar fans in our house -- Wall E, Up, Ratatouille and the Incredibles are family favorites.  I was really looking forward to this one, but it didn't quite do what I had expected. Mad Max was ridiculous, but over the top fun. Avengers was ok, but I've completely forgotten it!  

Back to books. Last night I finished Dirk Gentley!   :thumbup:  Stacia, I see why you kept telling me to make it to the end!! Very fun, very perfect. 

It's quiet here in BaW land. No doubt y'all are busy with families and holiday weekend plans.   We've got company arriving tomorrow night and Comic Con starting mid week, so lots of grocery shopping and house cleaning on tap today.  Happy 4th, everyone! :patriot:    

• Like 6

Wait, what?!  Really? You hated it?  I thought it was a good popcorn movie -- the perfect summertime action movie, totally stupid, but I was amused and entertained for a few hours.

Inside Out left me rather cold. We are generally big Pixar fans in our house -- Wall E, Up, Ratatouille and the Incredibles are family favorites.  I was really looking forward to this one, but it didn't quite do what I had expected. Mad Max was ridiculous, but over the top fun. Avengers was ok, but I've completely forgotten it!  

Back to books. Last night I finished Dirk Gentley!   :thumbup:  Stacia, I see why you kept telling me to make it to the end!! Very fun, very perfect. 

It's quiet here in BaW land. No doubt y'all are busy with families and holiday weekend plans.   We've got company arriving tomorrow night and Comic Con starting mid week, so lots of grocery shopping and house cleaning on tap today.  Happy 4th, everyone! :patriot:    

:lol:  Yeah, I know I'm probably the only person who hated Jurassic Park. I know it's supposed to be a popcorn movie, but I found it more gross & stressful than fun. Otoh, Furious 7 (imo) was the perfect summer popcorn movie. Cheesy, fast cars, insane & impossible stunts, some laughs.... To me, Jurassic Park (or whatever it is named) had no laughs, Bryce Dallas Howard was wooden, effects were gross & overbearing. Just too much.

Interesting to hear your take on Inside Out. I'm not a huge animated movie fan, though I generally have liked Pixar's movies. We've talked about going but haven't made it yet.

:hurray:  on Dirk Gently. So glad you enjoyed it! (18.gif -- I always feel a little nervous when recommending something & I hope it's liked & enjoyed!)

I'm quiet because I'm still working on the no paragraph, no chapter breaks book. Lol. I'm tempted to start something easier in the meantime just for a break.

• Like 6

Two votes for Sophy.  That means you have to read it!  And then follow up with Cotillion.  You'll be the newest GH fan.

:iagree:

15214081617_c8f0963213.jpg

Who needs Dramamime when you have mathematics!

Love the picture!

And I doubt that mathematics would work with me...probably make me sicker  :ack2:  :lol:

Jurassic Park is a family favorite!!  We all loved Jurassic World!!  Especially all of the shout outs to the first movie.  Were big geeks like that!   :D

• Like 7

Oh & when dh & I saw Jurassic World, we walked to the theater. We ended up seeing a late movie, so it was after midnight when we were walking home. I was at least happy that no huge, scary dinosaurs came crashing through the trees to get us! :gnorsi:

:lol:

• Like 6

That's exactly what I thought too.

Having motion sickness & then thinking of doing math to relieve it makes me feel worse!!!

Amen sister!  :lol:

Oh & when dh & I saw Jurassic World, we walked to the theater. We ended up seeing a late movie, so it was after midnight when we were walking home. I was at least happy that no huge, scary dinosaurs came crashing through the trees to get us! :gnorsi:

:lol:

I dreamed about dinosaurs a night or two after we saw it  :laugh:  Dh rolled his eyes and laughed at me  :lol:

• Like 6

Today I read the latest Thea Harrison Elder Races book ~  Midnight's Kiss (A Novel of the Elder Races).  It was a pleasant read, but it isn't the caliber of my two favorites in the series.   I'll probably not re-read it anytime soon.  This is a series best read in order.

"Ever since their scorching affair ended years ago, Julian, the Nightkind King, and Melisande, daughter of the Light Fae Queen, have tried to put the past behind them—and distance between them. But when a war breaks out between Julian and Justine, a powerful Vampyre of the Nightkind council, they find themselves thrown together under treacherous circumstances…

Kidnapped as leverage against Julian, Melly is convinced that her former lover won’t be rushing to her rescue. But when Julian gives himself up to save her, they both end up Justine’s captives. Armed only with their wits and their anger, Melly and Julian must work together to escape. But will they be able to ignore their complicated history, or will the fiery passion that once burned them blaze again?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

My kids are big Jurassic Park fans and loved the new movie. I only watch the first one because...Jeff Goldbloom. There is this one screen shot where he is injured, reclining on a table, and he looks like a classical sculpture. I don't know if that was done on purpose, but I am inclined to believe so...

I finished the modernized Emma, it was mildly amusing. I kept forgetting it was supposed to be 21st century, the author didn't work that angle enough. Also, there was no real tension between Emma and Mr. Knightly.

• Like 6

I finally read Waistcoats and Weaponryhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21407176-waistcoats-weaponryby Gail Carriger. I had it when it first came out and dd read it but I never had a chance. I liked it better than the others in the Finishing School series perhaps because the character connections with the Soulless series were a bit more concrete. I believe there is a new book coming soon.....naturally we will be reading it.

I also read Mary Jo Putney's Loving a Lost Lord. It was really really good! Thank you Kareni! :) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6066533-loving-a-lost-lord. Seriously this book was a great example of a historical romance done really well imo. I liked pretty much everything about it (the ending was a bit overblown but fitting)and am looking forward to the rest of the series.

• Like 5

Appropriate for the "halfway there" version of the BaW thread:  I am halfway there with Peregrine Pickle, having finished volume one last night, with another 400+ pages to go.

One of the fellow adventurers whom Peregrine encounters is an old man disguising himself as a deaf person in order to learn secrets of those around him.  When revealing his life to Peregrine, he sums up what is author Smollett's view of the human condition:

In short, I have traveled over the greatest part of Europe, as a beggar, pilgrim, priest, soldier, gamester,and quack; and felt the extremes of indigence and opulence, with the inclemency of weather in al its vicissitudes.  I have learned that the characters of mankind are everywhere the same; that common sense and honesty bear an infinitely small proportion to folly and vice; and that life is at best a paltry province.

Which sounds pretty cynical, I suppose.  But Smollett is not weighing me down with cynicism, but rather humor as we laugh at the foibles of humanity.

I found Peregrine's adventures in France to be quite interesting as Smollett writes before the revolution occurs there--or in the colonies for that matter. Holland is still a major player in Europe's economy and it is there that the coffee houses are filled with men smoking tobacco.  Class issues, the role of the British naval man in society, simple things like transportation are all quite fascinating as background color.

It really is a fine thing to read works written in other centuries--not just about other centuries in which 21st century mores are inevitably inserted.

Thanks VC for the inspiration!

• Like 4

Jurassic Park is a family favorite!!  We all loved Jurassic World!!  Especially all of the shout outs to the first movie.  Were big geeks like that!    :D

We love Jurassic Park here!

Does Jurassic World have that same feel?  It seems futuristic from the commercials.

• Like 5

I finished Jeannie Out of the Bottle by Barbara Eden.  It was a fun overview of her life and all the stuff she has done and people she had worked with.  She was very honest about things including her depression after her second son was stillborn and her first son's drug addiction, starting at age 10, and overdose that led to his death.  She is a beautiful woman inside and out.

Next: Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson

• Like 5

Happy Independence Day, fellow readers!

Two more for my list:

#57 -- Passing (Nella Larsen; 1929 (2003). 160 pages. Fiction.)
#56 -- Only Ever Yours (Louise O’Neill; 2014. 400 pages. Fiction.)

Thank you to whoever recommended Passing last year (when I bought it) and this week (when I read it). It was the sort of book that reminded me why I love to read, and it tied in unintentionally well with The Expendable Man. My daughters studied the Harlem Renaissance in their humanities course this summer, so that was another dash of serendipity / synchronicity / synthesis.

• Like 4

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Some other Mary Jo Putney books I like include ~

The Rake

Dancing On the Wind and River of Fire and others in the Fallen Angels series

The Silk series

Regards,

Kareni

These look great! I was able to download the first five books in the Lost Lords series as a collection so plan to start there. I have three weeks to read the remaining four intermingled with my others.

Stacia, Johannes Cabel the Detective has now appeared. But I have three weeks on that also so it will be later.

Butter, I love the tshirt. I love how passages make the picture. Very cool. Also your picture is lovely.

• Like 4