Menu

Dr for fever?

Truscifi

Babyman - 2.5yo - has an under arm temp of 102.7. He has had a fever since Monday night. Tylenol only brings his temp down to around 100 for couple of hours, then it goes right back up. He is eating a bit, drinking, a little tired and cranky but otherwise his normal self. Oh, and some loose stools but nothing major. No other symptoms. Normally I would not go in just for a fever, but this one is running pretty high and he's had it almost 48hrs now. I'm starting to get worried.

The rule of thumb our ped's office uses is to bring the child in for a fever that lasts longer than 3 days, and of course as needed if there are additional concerns (personally, I have been known to include my intuition as an additional concern).

I would probably wait until 72 hrs of fever, so I'd take him in on Friday if he's not improving by Thursday night (fevers tend to be worse later in the day).  Unless there are other concerns, of course.

(FWIW I favor ibuprofen over tylenol; YMMV)

Speaking of the tylenol, that might be the reason to call the nurse, that the fever responds but only for a couple hours.

I tend to wait too for fevers. I feel like it's their bodies doing their job. I only medicate if the fever is excessively high or it's affecting their sleep. Because rest is vital. But, to be fair, I do the same for me and suffer through knowing my body will (usually) eventually get over it. Hope he feels better soon!