Menu

And now the tax transcripts there *were* going to be processed in May won't be processed until June.

Joanne

Can't they give you a financial aid offer subject to the verification saying what you told them it would say? It seems like it's in the school's interest, too, to know who is and isn't coming.

Or can you go by the net price calculators? I know they aren't exact, but yeah, it's really getting late. 

If she has a top choice based on current info, can you put down her deposit there so she can pick housing and so on, without declining the other offers yet? You would lose the deposit if she changes her mind, but having to wait until June or July seems insane. 

My dd and I would be losing our minds; I'm sorry y'all are going through this. 

• Like 1

Joanne, I haven't been following but I would absolutely encourage you to contact the Financial Aid person at the school/s your dd is considering.  We are in a similar situation (fraudulent use of our SSNs, holding up our tax return). Dd's financial aid advisor was able to pass her FAFSA through without the required verifications temporarily. Of course, we'll have to provide it ASAP when it becomes available.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We went through a similar problem with our son.  We went into the financial aid office at the local college and they pulled up his FAFSA file.  They had me go to the IRS page there and request a transcript.  It then stated that the transcript was not available so they took a screen shot, printed it out, and had me sign it.  The IRS stated that it would take 10 weeks for a transcript to be available. It ended up only taking 2 weeks.  This was mid-May of this year and it did not take near as long as stated.   Once FAFSA had the transcript, it took about 10 days for us to get the letter with the financial aid listed.  It was a big headache and they required so much additional paperwork but we did not have to wait as long as we were expecting for an answer.  I hope you get your answer sooner than expected as well.

• 3 weeks later...