Menu

if I need a dozen egg whites

bettyandbob

is there an easier way than separating a dozen eggs.

I need to make gluten free angel food cake. (there used to be a gf angel food cake mix, but there hasn't been one on the market for years)

I looked up one product "just whites", but it says not recommended for angel food cake or merengue. (well then what's the point?! is my only half joking thought on that).

I guess this is an opportunity to teach my dd how to properly separate eggs.

If I need a dozen egg whites, that means I have a dozen yolks with which I make creme brulee. Yum.

I usually just separate them using the shell. It's too easy for me to break one pouring them all in a bowl and fishing them out.

• Like 1

Have you seen the empty water bottle trick? Crack egg on plate, create suction with a clean water bottle by squeezing, put over yolk and suck it in. So easy! You need to keep the water bottle tipped slightly not totally vertical when you do it. You can do multiple yolks in the bottle so you don't have to dump it after each egg.

• Like 2

Have you seen the empty water bottle trick? Crack egg on plate, create suction with a clean water bottle by squeezing, put over yolk and suck it in. So easy! You need to keep the water bottle tipped slightly not totally vertical when you do it. You can do multiple yolks in the bottle so you don't have to dump it after each egg. 

I'm going to have to try that simply for the coolness factor!

• Like 1

:w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  Thank you!!!!!

• Like 1

I could have separated a dozen eggs in the time it took me to read this thread.  It's no party trick, but I just crack the egg and dump the contents into my left hand, holding my fingers apart slightly.  The yolk stays put in my palm, and the white runs through.  Ideally, I will have placed a bowl underneath to catch the white.  No muss, no fuss.  Well, I have to wash my hands afterwards, but I would do that anyway.

Aldi has a gf angel food cake mix.

I know, but it requires a dozen egg whites. I might as well mix up the rest of the stuff myself. Regular angel food cake mix doesn't require egg whites.

I can separate eggs, I'm just lazy and don't want to deal with it. That empty water bottle method looks fun.

Separate them while they're cold and do it one by one into a separate bowl. They need to be room temperature for the cake, but they separate more easily cold.

This.

I can separate a dozen eggs in two minutes or so. Crack the egg, move the yolk from one shell half to the other while the whit drips out. I pour each egg white into its own bowl at first to make sure no trace of yolk us present.

• Like 1