Menu

And admittedly stupid question about winter clothes

Ok, this is the first time in my adult life that I've had the money to actually purchase a fall/winter wardrobe before cold weather set in.

So, if you live in an area with seasons, when do you buy seasonal clothes? Is now a good time to start? Will I pay more now than if I wait until October or so?

I need a good coat, boots appropriate for bad weather but don't look like moon boots, long skirts, tops, maybe some leggings. When should I start shopping for such things?

Yours is not a stupid question. When I first moved to Mass from GA, I was amazed to discover that my heavy winter coat could be worn only in the early fall or late spring here.

I buy all of our coats at either LL Bean or Lands End. The sites rate the coats for winter weather, so I always buy coats suitable for Eskimos since I don't want any of us to be cold. If I can't find an extra warm coat on sale, I pay full price because warmth is worth it to me. I last bought a winter coat for myself from LL Bean about 10 years ago and it is just like new to this day. I buy the kids' coats a size larger than they need, in hopes they will be able to wear them for at least 2 years.

The first place I look for all winter clothing is Lands End, and I start with their Overstocks section.

I bought my super-cold weather rated snow boots from Lands End. The only problem with snow boots, if you are not used to wearing them, is that they can be heavy and they feel bulky. Mine are both, and they have one of those space-age linings that is thin.

I love LL Bean's winter sweaters -- usually more than the ones offered by Lands End. I buy turtlenecks from LE, though, and because I don't like the feeling of pressure around my neck, I buy the mock turtlenecks. I also buy various shirts (usually from LL Bean) that are designed to wear over turtlenecks, kind of like a jacket, because they keep me warm.

LL Bean also has a sale section.

One more thing about coats. DH bought both of us heavy down parkas for winter. I about croak from heat stroke when I wear mine. Since I spend as little time outdoors in the winter as I can, usually just going from my car to a heated building, I bought a lined barn coat from LL Bean. The down parka just takes up space in the closet. It was intended for people who spend more than a few minutes outdoors and who don't mind doubling in girth just because they have put on a coat.

RC

To be honest the best time to buy winter clothing (IMHO) is in January just as the next seasons clothes are being put out. That's probably not an option for you. I do a lot of online shopping and I do like LL Bean. They have good quality items and they last a long time. They do seem a little high in price but well worth it. I've bought several chamios shirts for my Dh and he's still wearing them 10 yrs now. I also like that they stand behind what they sale. One time I bought a shirt and the button came off within 30 days. I contacted them and they had me send the shirt back and gave us a new one, just because of a button. Now if online shopping isn't something you want to do and you have the money I'd say shop now. There's better selection if that's important. If not wait until mid November-early December when store start having their Christmas sales.

Price wise, it's best to shop the after Christmas/new year's/January clearance sales for winter stuff, especially coats. But sometimes going early is good too. You get the best selection, and sometimes stores have pre-season sales.

I think generally, if you shop for things when the general population isn't thinking about them, you find the best prices. So now may be better than October to buy a winter coat, since it's not cold yet. If not now, then waiting until between Thanksgiving or Christmas may be a good time.

Good luck finding what you need! I have promised myself that I will buy a good pair of boots this year. In the past I have bought cheap pairs that I just *kind of* like and always regret it later. This year I will splurge on a pair that I love.

Here's a second vote for Land's End Overstocks! And the best deals are in the "On the Counter" section. They post items for the week on Saturday, then take an additional percentage off Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, until you're down to 75% off the clearance price. Twice now, I have been able to get dd a down coat for next to nothing!

-Robin

Most of our winter stuff is worn year after year and we don't buy a lot of new. If you can hold out, sales do start after the weather turns cold. An after Thanksgiving sale would give you a lot of choices.

I can say that the #1 item I wear day in and day out spring/fall/winter is a polartec vest. I have a couple from REI but the zipper broke on the one I really like. I would probably use Lands End next time.

~Dana

There is also a LLbean outlet an hour or two from us (near the nearest airport), which has been very good to us. If you're ever on the east coast....

Feb/Mar is best for their winter coats - 70% off the lowest marked price :) Their furniture and equipment doesn't get that cheap but clothing does. I've bought brand new stuff at thrift shop prices there.

Failing that, I go LLBean and Landsend on-line. The Lands End at Sears never has good deals (or the really warm stuff.)

One more thing about coats. DH bought both of us heavy down parkas for winter. I about croak from heat stroke when I wear mine. Since I spend as little time outdoors in the winter as I can, usually just going from my car to a heated building, I bought a lined barn coat from LL Bean. The down parka just takes up space in the closet. It was intended for people who spend more than a few minutes outdoors and who don't mind doubling in girth just because they have put on a coat.

That parka was for Vermont! :)

The Lands End at Sears never has good deals (or the really warm stuff.)

If you can't find a free shipping code, I think you can place your order from the computer terminals in Sears/Lands End & get free shipping that way. And, if you order anything that doesn't fit, you can always return it at your local Sears/Lands End.

We are probably going to be doing this soon. Right now, as my board name implies, I live in the Space Coast in Florida. We are probably be transferred to the Pentagon hence cold weather. I have some cold weather gear like a nice winter coat but will still need a warm jacket. My daughters last lived in cold weather three years ago so they will both need lots. My youngest may be able to use a bit of her older sister's clothes but not that many.