Menu

Question for those who are familiar with France

I studied in France as an undergraduate, and then again as a graduate student, so I've been to many parts of France.  I will be taking the kids through France next summer.  We will be taking the Chunnel train from London to Paris, and then I need to get to my friends' house in Germany, near the Swiss border (Zurich area).  This will be the kids' first trip to France, so we will spend a few days in Paris, and then I'd like to spend a few days somewhere else in France that I've never seen before heading to Germany.

So, here are the places I've visited:

Paris- many times, seen a LOT

Tours and the Loire River Valley, including Chambord, Chenonceau, Amboise, Chinon, Saumur, Villandry, among other places in the region

Strasbourg and Colmar and other small towns in between

Clermont Ferrand and the Puy de Dome

Annecy and the surrounding area

Bordeaux

Nice, Marseille, and many, many locations along the Côte d'Azur, including Cannes and St. Tropez

Many Places in Provence, including Avignon, Arles, Nimes, Èze, Grasse, St. Paul de Vence.  I visited la Camargue and the Pont du Gard also.

My aunt and I took a week long road trip around the coast of Brittany and Normandy, stopping in Brest, Bayeux, the beaches, Mont St. Michel, among other things.

So, if you know France or have been somewhere in France I haven't mentioned, I'm hoping for suggestions of where to go and what to see. I'm thinking 2-3 days.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Just read your post in detail - you have been to a lot of places. :)

Your children might like to see Rheims, where the French kings were crowned.  You can tour the cathedral.

Have you been to Chartres?  There is a British guy there who "reads" the stained glass windows.  He is really fascinating. Once we took his morning tour, went to get lunch, and came back for his (different) afternoon tour.

• Like 2

I was going to suggest Luxembourg instead, but would second for a stop in Belgium if you don't want to go to any of the places you have already been but want to go somewhere cool with the kids. I think they would love the fortifications.

• Like 1

I used to live just north of Freiburg.  Its such a beautiful area.

Have you been to Nancy?  I loved it there.  

It might be interesting to share some of your favorite places with your kids....

Its too far south i think, but i've always wanted to take a sail thru the Canal du Midi.

On the German side, there is a lot, too.

have fun!

ann

• Like 1

Wow, it seems like you have already seen so much in France!

The only other place I can think of (I haven't traveled there nearly as extensively as you) that I know a little about is the Chartres Cathedral.  I actually haven't been there myself, but my son and daughter were there and loved it.  I think it's about an hour outside of Paris.  Apparently when the sun shines through its stained glass windows, it's breath-taking.

• Like 1

I don't see Mont Blanc on anyone's list yet? 

We drove thru Provence, then ended up in the Alps.

So much taller and larger than I ever could have imaagined.

Crazy driving with hair-pin turns, etc.  :)

(We puddle-jumped from Paris to Marseilles, put our toes in the Med Sea, then drove thru Provence to the Alps then to Geneva.)

I know you have been there already but since your kids haven't, revisiting Normandy and the beaches would be great. I first saw them back when I was about their ages.

New places to go- this slideshow had pics and better descriptions of a few places that I was going to suggest.

http://www.thelocal.fr/galleries/travel/top-10-unknown-must-visit-places-in-france

• Like 1

I was going to suggest Luxembourg instead, but would second for a stop in Belgium if you don't want to go to any of the places you have already been but want to go somewhere cool with the kids. I think they would love the fortifications.

I have been to Belgium a couple of times, but not Luxembourg.  I actually have a friend who lives in Luxembourg, too.  I could stop in a say hello.  That is another excellent idea.  Thanks!

I used to live just north of Freiburg.  Its such a beautiful area.

Have you been to Nancy?  I loved it there.  

It might be interesting to share some of your favorite places with your kids....

Its too far south i think, but i've always wanted to take a sail thru the Canal du Midi.

On the German side, there is a lot, too.

have fun!

ann

I have a friend who suggests biking along the Canal du Midi every year, and one of these years, I will take him up on it.  He doesn't have kids, so does not understand my life and why I cannot flit off to France when he gets a whim.  Lol.

I have a friend who lives in Freiburg.  Her parents live in Horben up in the hills of the Black Forest.  It's gorgeous.  I had the privilege of staying with them a few times.  I spent the New Year holiday in Frieburg one year and had a blast.  My other German friends live in Eggingen, which is kind of in the middle of nowhere between Freiburg and Zurich.  I'm not sure if I'll stop in Freiburg, or if my Freiburg friend will come down to Eggingen to hang out with all of us.

I haven't been to Nancy.  That is a possibility.

I want to take another trip, just to France, in a few years, when my husband can go, too.  I want to show them all the Loire Valley, and Normandy, among other things.

• Like 1

I know you have been there already but since your kids haven't, revisiting Normandy and the beaches would be great. I first saw them back when I was about their ages.

New places to go- this slideshow had pics and better descriptions of a few places that I was going to suggest.

http://www.thelocal.fr/galleries/travel/top-10-unknown-must-visit-places-in-france

Thanks for the link!

I want to do a longer tour of France with the kids in a couple more years when my husband can join us, so we will definitely go back to Normandy.  If not for the beaches, for the Bayeux tapestry.

• Like 1

Okay, so now I'm really excited thinking about taking the Eurostar to Brussels instead.  I can go to Mary Chocolatier, my favorite chocolates in the world, and take my kids to the Bande Dessinée museum.  Then we can go to Luxembourg to see my other friend, and maybe a day in Nancy before heading down to Germany.  That sounds completely fun and doable.  Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 2