Menu

Update on my knee situation...

Luanne

I've been to the orthopedic doctor about my knees (they've both been giving me pain for a while now).  They x-rayed them.  On Monday they are doing an MRI on them.  They said it most likely are my kneecaps that are causing the problem.  They also said if they are too bad, they might have to amputate them both just below the knees.  I'm hoping it won't come to that though.

I've been to the orthopedic doctor about my knees (they've both been giving me pain for a while now).  They x-rayed them.  On Monday they are doing an MRI on them.  They said it most likely are my kneecaps that are causing the problem.  They also said if they are too bad, they might have to amputate them both just below the knees.  I'm hoping it won't come to that though.

Huh? What exactly is the MRI looking for in your kneecaps that would make them want to amputate both legs? And why would they be amputating below the knee if the kneecaps are the problem?  :confused1:

• Like 1

Because then I would be confined to a wheel chair so there would be no more pressure on my knees... maybe it was above the kneecaps.  It's so confusing.

You're saying the doctors would amputate both your legs so that you would stay in a wheelchair and not put pressure on your knees? That makes zero sense.

• Like 2

Wow.   I have never heard of amputation for knee pain.  Cancer?  yes.  Untreatable infection/gangrene?  Very rare. I would think that there would be many more conservative steps before amputation. Like shots to lubricate the joint? Like knee replacements?  I have troublesome kneecaps - they haven't tracked properly for nearly 20 years, despite many attempts at PT.  I have worn down the cartilage behind the kneecap so I am bone-on-bone.  We did the hyaluronidase shots to lubricate the joint, which bought me a little time and helped a little.  I am probably looking at knee replacements when the pain gets too bad. 

• Like 1

i am with catwoman.  see a different doctor ASAP.  

meanwhile, maybe you could have this doctor write a prescription for a wheel chair and see if not putting weight on them does make a difference.  some pain just hangs around regardless.  it would help you know.  And if that works, you can just use the chair without the amputations, in case some new procedure comes along in a year or two that would work.  And it may be that 1 month/2 months/6 months off your knees would be all they needed to heal.  Ask about physiotherapy, too.  Sometimes, strenghtening specific muscles can help hold the knee cap in a way that it won't hurt as much.

fwiw,

ann

• Like 2

Whaaa?? I think you must have gotten some of the information confused, Luanne. They don't just amputate legs for bad kneecaps.  You need to make them clarify why they are doing an MRI and why anyone ever mentioned amputation at all.  And, I also think you need to talk to another doctor.  What kind of doctor leaves a patient that confused with crossed information?  They should not have done that to you.

• Like 8

I keep thinking about this and all I can come up with is that the doctor did a terrible job of explaining things and he probably scared Luanne so much that she couldn't think fast enough to ask for clarification.

Who would stay calm and think rationally when a doctor just mentioned the possibility of amputation? :svengo:

Things like this are one of the reasons why my dh and I go to important medical appointments together. Between the two of us, we usually manage to find out exactly what's going on, and a second pair of ears helps a lot after the appointment when we are trying to remember all of the details.

But Luanne, I don't think you need to worry -- knee replacement might be a possibility, but I am sure partial leg amputation is absolutely not necessary.

• Like 5

They remove/replace knee caps, they also can replace them as part of a total knee replacement.  They will also replace parts of the knee depending on the problem. Maybe they were discussing some type of joint replacement the possible complications?  Or it might have been mentioned when discussing long term effects of joint replacement?  Usually there is only enough bone to do a knee replacement about three times before it just isn't possible anymore, and each joint has a given period of time it's supposed to be functional for, so in theory you could "outlive" the replacements if there is no change in surgical approach 20-30 years from now.

• Like 1