Menu

Certified teacher looking to find work from home, can anyone help?

PentecostalMom

Well, she could work from home here if she was willing to do classes or tutoring in her home.  There is a pretty high demand for secular classes - even more so if she was interested in branching out to middle or high school classes in math, science or writing.  After school tutoring is an option as well - that's running $15-$25 an hour now.

As long as she isn't looking to gain a teacher's "full" salary, she could very easily tutor... although, I'll admit I'd be a bit hesitant to hire her over the other certified teachers offering tutoring services, considering she has no actual teaching background outside of her student teaching. If I were looking for a certified teacher for some reason, the no experience thing would weigh heavily. With that said, if she were very competitive with her pricing, that would weigh in, too :)

Tutoring is a good option. Most online schools want b & m classroom experience (anywhere from 3-5 years) before they think about hiring. I was almost hired when factoring in my homeschool experience, until they realized my license is in early childhood (through 3rd grade) rather than elementary.  :glare:  I also have tutored ESL and reading online, as well as scored tests. Take a look at WorkPlaceLikeHome.com forums for job leads (many verified) and various forums for specific companies. There's a forum there called Online Tutors/teachers too. I'm Renai there as well. :D

• Like 1

Well, she could work from home here if she was willing to do classes or tutoring in her home.  There is a pretty high demand for secular classes - even more so if she was interested in branching out to middle or high school classes in math, science or writing.  After school tutoring is an option as well - that's running $15-$25 an hour now.

As long as she isn't looking to gain a teacher's "full" salary, she could very easily tutor... although, I'll admit I'd be a bit hesitant to hire her over the other certified teachers offering tutoring services, considering she has no actual teaching background outside of her student teaching. If I were looking for a certified teacher for some reason, the no experience thing would weigh heavily. With that said, if she were very competitive with her pricing, that would weigh in, too :)

Tutoring is a good option. Most online schools want b & m classroom experience (anywhere from 3-5 years) before they think about hiring. I was almost hired when factoring in my homeschool experience, until they realized my license is in early childhood (through 3rd grade) rather than elementary.  :glare:  I also have tutored ESL and reading online, as well as scored tests. Take a look at WorkPlaceLikeHome.com forums for job leads (many verified) and various forums for specific companies. There's a forum there called Online Tutors/teachers too. I'm Renai there as well. :D

What is the going tutoring rate?

What is the going tutoring rate?

People in your own area would better be able to tell you that, right? It varies from place to place and depends on what she can tutor. Does she have any specialized training in any particular subject?  My friend is a certified teacher and also has some special reading degree and certification and she makes a living tutoring reading in her own home. She is in very high demand.  But around here most people want people to tutor high school subjects like math or writing. A lot of it is done by retired teachers or grad students.

She has a BA in elementary ed. Without a master's degree, around here that would make her qualified to be a nursery school teacher.  Maybe she could open a nursery school or day care center in her home?

• Like 1

Is she planning to continue her education by getting a Masters in Education or a B.S. degree in something? I believe that would help her, but her lack of actual working experience is a minus sign when she applies for job assignments. Another place she might find work she can do at home is Elance.com  GL to her!

In our area, this would nearly impossible and especially without a strong experience base.  Tutors can make top dollar, but tend to be people who have degrees in science, math, comp sci, published authors, etc who have a specialty area.  Online school teachers here actually work out of an office and have very difficult jobs.  It can be challenging for someone with a BA in El Ed to even get a classroom job here.