Menu

Is Rosetta Stone worth the $$$

sweetpea3829

Rainbow Resource has Rosetta Stone on sale right now.  Levels 1-5 for a bit over $200.  I'd like to get eldest DS started in French in the not-so-distant future. 

Is it worth it?  What do I need to know about Rosetta Stone?  I've heard something about licensing issues...having to pay a monthly fee or some such nonsense.  

I did not find it to be terribly helpful for actually learning a language.  Getting introduced maybe but not truly learning it.  And yes, I have heard that the new Rosetta Stone includes some licensing issues and constraints.  But others may have more specific and useful feedback.  We haven't used it in years.

No. Not even worth free. We had a year of all languages free as a family when my husband was at a special school for his job. We used it for a few weeks and then switched to other things. I tried several different languages and was not impressed, it is the same general system for all languages.

• Like 1

Rainbow Resource has Rosetta Stone on sale right now.  Levels 1-5 for a bit over $200.  I'd like to get eldest DS started in French in the not-so-distant future. 

Is it worth it?  What do I need to know about Rosetta Stone?  I've heard something about licensing issues...having to pay a monthly fee or some such nonsense.  

Let me be brief: No.

Our library allows you to do the first level for free, and I think it's worth trying.

We do RS Spanish in our home. I don't think Duolingo is appropriate for many grammar age kids, as it's much more writing based. My eldest is almost finished with the first level. Her retention and ability to create unique sentences has been poor, but she can do it independently and it's better than nothing.