Menu

How to Guide Those Interested in Homeschooling

I have a few friends who have come to me over the past year who are interested in homeschooling. One has young kids who plans to start their education at home. Another friend is considering pulling her kids out due to bad influences in the school. 

I've been doing this for 11 years and still don't know how to answer questions. When someone asks, "How do you homeschool?" it's like asking, "How do you parent?" The answer is too big. How do you help those who are seriously considering homeschooling?

How do you know when people are really interested. I meet quite a lot of random people who say things like "Oh, you home school! I'd love to do that, but I can't because [insert invalid excuse]". Then I get tempted to explain why their excuse is invalid and that YAY! they really can home school. But I wonder, were they being truthful or were they only trying to be polite instead of pointing out how crazy I am to home educate.

• Like 1

Ask why they are considering HS.  Ask about their goals.

Then try to give something simple to research.

Ex.  A family is considering HSing b/c of an LD? Give her links to resources to help that specific LD.  

The HS online world is huge. Help them narrow their search.

Well, when my neighbor came to me last fall and told me she was pulling out her first grade twins because the Common Core stuff was driving them all batty, I told her to look into on-line schools for the rest of the school year and then spend some time researching philosophies of education and curriculum, etc. and then when she felt comfortable then just do what she felt was best. There are so many philosophies and curriculums out there, it can be overwhelming, and I didn't want to tell her to do what I do because... I'm not even really sure what that is anymore. We just do it.

• Like 1

How do you know when people are really interested. I meet quite a lot of random people who say things like "Oh, you home school! I'd love to do that, but I can't because [insert invalid excuse]". Then I get tempted to explain why their excuse is invalid and that YAY! they really can home school. But I wonder, were they being truthful or were they only trying to be polite instead of pointing out how crazy I am to home educate.

I completely know where you're coming from. I am close to both families and we've talked about homeschool before. They both brought it up to me. Both husband and wife talked with me. You could tell that they have seriously discussed it. I've definitely heard the flippant responses. I don't give them the time of day.

I've had a couple of people ask. I loan them y copy of WTM and answer any specific questions. I had invited people over to look at the curriculum that I have. I tell them about any groups in the area that I know of and make sure they are aware of homeschool Facebook groups or email lists.

I say I've read the Well-Trained Mind and I generally follow the structure, although not all the recommendations. If they seem serious, I'm happy to have them over to look at my curriculum and discuss options, but I've only had one person take me up on the offer (she ultimately decided to keep her kids in school).

I first make sure people know what the state law says--I think that would be more important as a starting point in some states than others--and then point them to local resources like the homeschooling store, activity groups, the fact that the library has HSing books, etc.

Really, "how to homeschool" is any way you want, provided it's legal, suited to your kid(s), and manageable for you.

• Like 2

I usually ask why they are thinking about homeschooling. If, like most people, they really just want to complain about their frustrations with public school, then I listen and give lots of positive affirmation.

If they seem serious about wanting to homeschool, then I let them know what the laws are in our state and what support groups are available, and I offer to let them drop by some evening and take a look at my curriculum and homeschool books. Some people have taken me up on this, while others haven't. About half the people who have declined my offer have gone on to homeschool. I'm thrilled that they have figured it out on their own.

If they take me up on the offer to drop by (this has only happened 4 times), then I let them look at my curriculum and how I organize things. I loan them whatever books or curriculum they are interested in looking at. Two of those people went on to homeschool and two didn't.

Mostly, I don't think it's my job to guide new homeschoolers. I'm happy to be a resource to those who are starting out and want a resource, but I don't view myself as guiding them. We are just fellow homeschool moms.

• Like 2

If they are considering homeschooling and want to know about it I will talk to them and I try to be as honest as I can about the pros and the cons. I love homeschooling and feel the benifits greatly out weigh the cons but I've heard people saying they would love to only have to school for 2 hours and be done and that isn't the reality of homeschooling. I have recommended Cathy Duffy's book for curriculum advice as well as TWTM. I will let people come over and look at our school stuff and even had someone sit with me for a few hours because they wanted to see what homeschooling looked like. I always tell people though homeschooling is different for every family and our kids all learn differently so what works for my family might now work for their family.

I have a new homechoolers packet I give them that covers educational philosophies in a nutshell with compatible curriculum listed, a brief run down on the 3 different motivations people have for homeschooling, several questions to get them articulating their goals to each other as partners, and what to start with early elementary aged kids on the basics.

• Like 4

How do you know when people are really interested. 

I've received many inquiring emails and phone calls and been burned so many times because I love homeschooling so much and I get so excited when people inquire that I just shower them with information.  Turns out, most of them are just frustrated with their current school situation, but maybe aren't that serious about homeschooling.  I can't remember one person I "convinced" to homeschool.

Now my MO is to direct them to some internet sites and yahoogroups so they can do their own research.  (Much of homeschooling is all about internet research so they may as well get used to it.)  Then I instruct them to get back to me with specific questions.  

This is just how out of touch I am:  My kids were in preschool and I was telling the other preschool moms about this thing called "homeschooling" and how awesome it was and how great it was going to be for our family and kids.  I really truly believed that at least a couple of moms there (if not all of them!) would join me on this path.  LOL, none of them did!  

• Like 1

I refer them to Cathy Duffy's book and the appropriate forum here (K-8 or high school). I also give them a few web addresses like Christianbook.com, or any specific publishers if they say something that triggers me to think a specific publisher might be a good fit. I offer to answer any questions that they have, but encourage personal research first so that their questions and my answers can be targeted and useful.

When I decided to homeschool, two women invited me into their homes. They let me borrow curriculum and books, they showed me their favorites. They handed me a few catalogs, and told me a little about what they did. They were both long time homeschoolers with kids in college and beyond, but still homeschooling youngers too. Their help was invaluable to me and I try to pay it forward.

• Like 2

When I was exploring homeschooling I:

- talked to and visited a family homeschooling similar aged children and had a list of specific quesitons

- borrowed several books from the library and researched various methods of homeschooling

- attended a local homeschool conference

These were all really helpful, and what I'd suggest for people seriously inquiring about homeschooling.

The previous posters that advised offering to be a resource and then waiting until the asker actually initiates to share show true wisdom.

if someone is going to be a homeschooler the most basic skill needed is the ability to self-teach.  So, if a parent is thinking about doing it, her first hurdle is researching and educating herself on how to do it.  And if the parent can't do that, then homeschooling is unlikely to be a good fit.