Menu

Does this product REALLY work?

Jenrae

Hi fellow Mommas!

I don't post here often, although I do lurk, frequently , when I have a few minutes available.

If you have skin similar to mine, could you tell me your experience with Bare Minerals or Rodan & Fields? If you use a different product, please feel free to share that if you face similar issues as me.

I have dry skin, slightly oily on nose.

Splotchy, uneven coloring (red/white) skin, due to Rosacea

Over 45 yrs old...by a few years..... :sad:

I've used Bare Minerals loose foundation and have not been pleased. The sales lady said my skin is really dry, and that is causing some of my issues. Plus she said I need to use a few more of their products. She is right about my skin being dry and I haven't been using the Bare Minerals cleanser or lotion, or hardly any lotion for that matter, so maybe these would help. I just hate to spend all this money and have it not work! In order to get the coverage of my splotchy skin, I would need to wear these Bare Minerals products:  Redness Remedy Complexion, then Rescue Remedy from Bare Minerals, and then because I don't like the "dewey" look, I'd have to add their powder foundation. Oh, also, .......I really hate wearing much makeup.

I have seen Rodan & Fields SOOTHE product line advertised and wonder if maybe I would be better off forking over the money for that product instead.....but again.....the green stuff it takes to make a purchase does not grow on trees and Rodan & Fields is even MORE expensive! I have no idea how many of these product I would need to use yet.

Tell me please, is Rodan & Fields SOOTHE line worth the money? Does it really work? https://www.rodanandfields.com/Shop/Soothe/Products

Soooooo, if you have skin like mine, does Bare Minerals work for you if you use several of their products? Or have you used Rodan & Fields and does it REALLY work??

I am 48. I really am liking their Complexion Rescue tinted hydrating cream (bare minerals) and do put it on with the brush they sell with it - makes a world of difference.

I have recent purchased Chagrin Valley whipped squalene mousse for my moisturizer. It is awesome! It is all natural and comprised of a mixture of whipped Shea and olive. It goes on moist but disappears immediately. I've noticed my fine lines looking better! Chagrin Valley Soaps and Salves is where you get it online. It is an all natural line and this tub cost approx $12 - I think? Maybe less. I'm currently addicted to all of their moosturizers!

• Like 2

Have you tried a bb cream? I used to use just powder foundation or tinted moisturizer but now my skin is too dry. I love the bb cream because it is much more moisturizing. Two seconds to put it on and it evens my skin tone and moisturizes. I use Younique. I started buying their stuff because I could try the products for a while and return them if they didn't work.

Ulta also has some bb creams and other products. If one is close to you, you might be able to sample and see what you think.

• Like 1

My skin has gotten much drier over the past few years (I'm 48). I use Bare Minerals but with a good primer first. I don't use an expensive primer, just something that is the main ingredient of all those expensive brand name primers.

I use this product (might be lower-priced sellers) http://www.amazon.com/Monistat-Soothing-Chafing-Powder-Gel-1-5-Ounce/dp/B001E96MG2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1428713169&sr=8-3&keywords=Monistat+soothing+care+powder

• Like 1

I am 48. I really am liking their Complexion Rescue tinted hydrating cream (bare minerals) and do put it on with the brush they sell with it - makes a world of difference.

I have recent purchased Chagrin Valley whipped squalene mousse for my moisturizer. It is awesome! It is all natural and comprised of a mixture of whipped Shea and olive. It goes on moist but disappears immediately. I've noticed my fine lines looking better! Chagrin Valley Soaps and Salves is where you get it online. It is an all natural line and this tub cost approx $12 - I think? Maybe less. I'm currently addicted to all of their moosturizers!

I will be out of my moisturizer soon, so I will certainly give this a try. I see it has lavender, so that may be soothing as well! Certainly cheaper than the moisturizer Bare mineral has, which I have not been too impressed with and I tend to use too sparingly because it is soooo expensive!

The sales rep did apply the Complexion Rescue on me yesterday, but I wasn't too sure about how it looked on me. Might have been the dryness and and I am not used to weraing liquid or cream foundation anymore. I may give it a try once I get the moisture issue under control.

Thanks for the recomendation!

Have you tried a bb cream? I used to use just powder foundation or tinted moisturizer but now my skin is too dry. I love the bb cream because it is much more moisturizing. Two seconds to put it on and it evens my skin tone and moisturizes. I use Younique. I started buying their stuff because I could try the products for a while and return them if they didn't work.

Ulta also has some bb creams and other products. If one is close to you, you might be able to sample and see what you think.

I have tried avoiding any type of liquid foundation for three years now, but I guess the bb cream may be just what I need. I guess it sounds like the Rescue Complexion from Bare Minerals. Guess I will need to try each of them and see which one works for me. It's nice to know they will allow returns! I've never heard of Younique before, but I have saved a link to their site now! Thank you so much!!
  • Like 1

My skin has gotten much drier over the past few years (I'm 48). I use Bare Minerals but with a good primer first. I don't use an expensive primer, just something that is the main ingredient of all those expensive brand name primers.

I use this product (might be lower-priced sellers) http://www.amazon.com/Monistat-Soothing-Chafing-Powder-Gel-1-5-Ounce/dp/B001E96MG2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1428713169&sr=8-3&keywords=Monistat+soothing+care+powder

Ummmm....I think the link is taking me to the wrong product! Can you take a look and see if this is what you intended to recomend?

Seems a little off to me, but hey, if it works......lol

• Like 2

I am also well over 48 and have been using Bare Minerals for about 10 years now. I'm responding to this thread because just yesterday I had a co-worker stop and tell me what amazing skin I had. If she only knew... Since wearing Bare Minerals I've had quite a few wonderful comments made about my skin.

I also have splotchy skin, but Bare Minerals seems to work for me. I use Philosophy's Purity to wash my face and use whatever moisturizer is the best deal at Costco. I put just a bit of moisturizer on my face about 10 minutes before putting on my makeup. I use the foundation, mineral veil and just a tiny bit of clear radiance. I also use a neutral  eyeshadow and mascara. Oh, I do use BM undereye concealer. I forget the name, but if you want it, I can go look.

I have some blotchy stuff on my face, and use a cheap drugstore concealor before putting on the bare minerals. For moisturizer, I use Aveeno Baby Extra Moisturizing Cream. It doesn't make me break out, it helps my excema, it's got oatmeal in it to soothe, and it works really well. I don't like any of the adult moisturizers, but that baby stuff works wonders. 

Ummmm....I think the link is taking me to the wrong product! Can you take a look and see if this is what you intended to recomend?

Seems a little off to me, but hey, if it works......lol

No, honestly, that's the correct product! I learned about here :lol: Diimethyl whateveritis is the active ingredient in all the fancy makeup primers. Read the comments :)

If I don't use primer, my face looks like crud. With it, even in the dead of winter, my skin looks smooth and even.

Honestly, I think you will struggle with most foundations until you can bring your dry skin under control. Flaky skin usually looks worse under most foundations.

I suggest gentle, regular exfoliation, a good moisturizer, and a sunscreen moisturizer combo for day.

After your skin is less dry most foundations will look less like foundation and more like your real skin, which is the point of foundation.

Good luck!

I wore Bare Minerals for years and loved it.  I'm your age and also have rosacea.  I stopped wearing the Bare Minerals a few years ago because my skin had become too dry, the makeup no longer flattering.

I've tried several things but haven't been pleased with anything. CoverGirl/Olay, and a sampling of several foundations from Sephora. I've gone through a couple of bottles of Dr. Jart.  I recently bought Bare Minerals BareSkin, the new liquid foundation.  I don't care for it at all, unfortunately.  It sits on my skin and is not a good look.  It was more orangey and made the Dr. Jart seem beige and muddy in comparison, but lately I've been using the Dr. Jart with a Bare Minerals brush (not the one with the dent that goes with their product but a similar brush that the store recommended).

Still not what I'm looking for, but if you can get a sample of the Dr. Jart, you might like it.

Next thing to try for me will be Philosophy.  I'm loving their free eye cream samples, Hope in a Jar--besides, it's like the best product name ever!

;)

You just described me...40's and dry skin...to the point of flakes in some areas. I quite Bare Minerals several years ago as I felt the powders just highlighted my wrinkles. I've tried several things, and spent a lot of time in Sephora getting suggestions from the sales girl. Then I went to the BM store, and I bought the exact products OP listed, after getting my face done there. Been using it for about a month, and love it! I now have a bit of a dewy look which is what I wanted...but I can add powder (I have a setting powder from Tarte already so I just use that), if I want to minimize the "dew". I use the Rescue Remedy morning and night. I don't feel or look "dry" anymore and totally back in love with BM products. They have a 30 day return wimdow full refund...Sephora does too....wouldn't hurt to try it!

• Like 1

I wouldn't spring for bare minerals until I was sure that bb cream and drinking a LOT more water didn't do the trick. The products are good, but hydrating yourself may work better than anything.

Agreed, gotta do the inside-out work. Water, EFAs, vitamin D, plus avoiding food triggers.

I recently tried an over the counter product called Prosacea. It has cleared up a long spell of flares that a dermatologist and his $$$ Rxs couldn't touch.

I'm still using the bare minerals stuff, but if I want a really good result, I use a primer (smashbox). I don't use it often - in fact, I've mostly stopped wearing makeup at all for stay-at-home or just dropping kids off kind of days - but when I need good coverage and a clear professional look, the BE still does the trick. I expect I should be thinking about a next phase plan, though.

I've tried philosophy and though it really like it, about once a week I feel the need for a good old foamy face wash.

There have been a couple of threads lately about makeup for "mature" skin... I am listening carefully!

Sorry I went missing ya'll!

Miss Peregrine- I will make a note to look into the Tarte Amazonian clay BB. Thank you!

Chocolate Rose-That is great that the Bare Mineral works for you! Nothing like finding a makeup that makes you feel beautiful! I am less happy with the look that I am getting with the Neutralizing Primer and the BM Foundation and the Mineral Veil that is moisturizing, which the lady sold me a few days ago. It looks worse than using the foundation and the regular mineral veil. ughh...I guess I will return these and start over.

ktgrok-I honestly never thought of trying a baby product! Who knew?? Well, obviously you! I will just have to give that a try! Thanks for the idea!

Luckymama--haha..I guess I just saw Monistat and thought woe, I don't have that issue! lol...I guess it's going on my list of products to try!

Moxie-I sure hope I don't end up with that situation! I already broke out from the Bare Mineral neutrailzing primer! I don't want THAT, unless I can be 17 years old again!

Shelly in IL-Thanks for another idea!

solascripture-yes, I do need to increase my water consumption! I think most ofwhat I am having difficulty covering up is my splotchyness and my rosecea. well...and my aging pores! ughhh....Yes, more water can't hurt!

ThisIsTheDay---I will put Dr. Jart on my list! As Philosphy is more expensive, If I recall correctly, it will come later! Yes, Hope in a Jar, great name! We could al use some of that!

KungFuPanda--yes, water is a girls best friend, they say, right? I'm increasing it!

Samiam---I did try the Rescue Remedy but didn't really like the look, but I may try it again, as what I purchased IS NOT WORKING. ughh...I think I will take back the Bare Minerals Neutralizing Primer because I think that is what is now breaking my face out. They had me use the foundation over it and then the *Hydrating* mineral veil and this combination looks WORSE than when I just used a moisturizer and the foundation and regular mineral veil. Plus, one of these new products to me, the neutralizing primer or the Hydrating mineral veil is making EVERY pore show, (at least that is how I feel) so back to the store it will go! I will try on the Rescue Remedy cream one more time and see if it works because if not, every one of these products is going back.

Seasider--Agree! What we eat matters! I will put the Prosacea on the top of my list to research! That is interesting that you like Smashbox better. I will go give it a try at Ulta. What were you saying did the best....the BE, what is that?

Thank you to everyone for this discussion! Aging can be difficult and it sure helps to hear what is working with others that have my skin type and rosecea as well!

p.s. I'm too tired to check my grammar and spelling, I sure hope there are no teachers on the board!!

• Like 1

Hi fellow Mommas!

I don't post here often, although I do lurk, frequently , when I have a few minutes available.

If you have skin similar to mine, could you tell me your experience with Bare Minerals or Rodan & Fields? If you use a different product, please feel free to share that if you face similar issues as me.

I have dry skin, slightly oily on nose.

Splotchy, uneven coloring (red/white) skin, due to Rosacea

Over 45 yrs old...by a few years..... :sad:

I've used Bare Minerals loose foundation and have not been pleased. The sales lady said my skin is really dry, and that is causing some of my issues. Plus she said I need to use a few more of their products. She is right about my skin being dry and I haven't been using the Bare Minerals cleanser or lotion, or hardly any lotion for that matter, so maybe these would help. I just hate to spend all this money and have it not work! In order to get the coverage of my splotchy skin, I would need to wear these Bare Minerals products:  Redness Remedy Complexion, then Rescue Remedy from Bare Minerals, and then because I don't like the "dewey" look, I'd have to add their powder foundation. Oh, also, .......I really hate wearing much makeup.

I have seen Rodan & Fields SOOTHE product line advertised and wonder if maybe I would be better off forking over the money for that product instead.....but again.....the green stuff it takes to make a purchase does not grow on trees and Rodan & Fields is even MORE expensive! I have no idea how many of these product I would need to use yet.

Tell me please, is Rodan & Fields SOOTHE line worth the money? Does it really work? https://www.rodanandfields.com/Shop/Soothe/Products

Soooooo, if you have skin like mine, does Bare Minerals work for you if you use several of their products? Or have you used Rodan & Fields and does it REALLY work??

I also have rosacea. :-)

What do you do for your normal cleansing routine? It should be a three-step process: cleanse, tone, moisturize. You don't have to spend a boatload of money, but you do need to invest in *something.* I have used Clinique, Shaklee, Jordan Essentials, and Artistry (Amway's skin care line). I've been happy with all of them, but I stay with Artistry 'cuz I sell the stuff, lol.

Do you use any sort of treatment for the rosacea? If you haven't seen a doctor for the rosacea, then you need to do that. Rosacea is chronic and only gets worse over time.

These are the Bare Mineral products I use: the concealer, the foundation, the blush, and the mineral veil. The end. :-)

I also have rosacea. :-)

What do you do for your normal cleansing routine? It should be a three-step process: cleanse, tone, moisturize. You don't have to spend a boatload of money, but you do need to invest in *something.* I have used Clinique, Shaklee, Jordan Essentials, and Artistry (Amway's skin care line). I've been happy with all of them, but I stay with Artistry 'cuz I sell the stuff, lol.

Do you use any sort of treatment for the rosacea? If you haven't seen a doctor for the rosacea, then you need to do that. Rosacea is chronic and only gets worse over time.

These are the Bare Mineral products I use: the concealer, the foundation, the blush, and the mineral veil. The end. :-)

Yes, I have been doing the three step process, just not all Bare Minerals. I'm sure the dermatologist would like me to use the products she sells, bu mine is not extreme enough for me to spend that amount of money.

Certainly had a variety of recomendations given to me, so surely I will find one eventually! I will just begin with products that will permit me to return the item if I am not happy with it.

• Like 1

Just FYI--Cover FX makes a new product called Custom Cover Drops. It is pigment that you add to any primer, moisturizer, etc. I've read really good reviews about it and I plan to try it when I'm out of my current stuff.

Yes, I have been doing the three step process, just not all Bare Minerals. I'm sure the dermatologist would like me to use the products she sells, bu mine is not extreme enough for me to spend that amount of money.

Certainly had a variety of recomendations given to me, so surely I will find one eventually! I will just begin with products that will permit me to return the item if I am not happy with it.

Good.

You said above that you had been using hardly any lotion at all. If your skin is dry, then you need to use more lotion. :-) Apply it while your face is still damp with the toner, and make sure you get your neck, too. :-)