Menu

We just finished the last 3 chapters of the last book in the Narnia series.

And I love the finish that Lewis wrote to the books but  we are so sad to see the end of the series! 

This is 3rd time I've read them aloud to my kids -- but the first time for my youngest two -- and the maybe 5th time I've gone through the series. We've spent the better part of this school year with Narnia. Ds has been anticipating being out of Narnia books and has been saying for weeks there should be more.  

My only consolation is that we're going to start Heidi, which is one of if not the one of my all-time favorite books. 

And I'm searching for a read-aloud I can do with my high school boys as well since they're now out of sports.

So, anyone have suggestions to fill our can't-wait-to-get-to-it read-aloud void? Or maybe you could just commiserate with finishing a book that you never wanted to end. 

Lisa

• Like 4

Oh, we can commiserate around here!  My older dd loves fantasy series, and I have gotten used to hearing "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!" A howl of despair from the soul when she realizes that a favorite series is over.  She usually starts over again at the beginning.  :D  But the existential crisis is real, for sure.

• Like 2

We just finished All Creatures Great and Small-- love James Herriot

the children were mad when I started it (mainly because I wouldn't read the whole Anne of GG series -just the first one) but they soon loved the book as much as I did. Hopefully they will start reading the rest of the series on their own now.

I am now debating what to read next-- the Narnia book(s) or the Hobbit or something else.

• Like 1

The high schoolers might really enjoy "That Hideous Strength" also by C. S. Lewis.

Oh, but you can't read only "That Hideous Strength." You must read the first two of the series: "Out of the Silent Planet" and "Perelandra." :-)

• Like 3

My oldest refuses to listen to the last Narnia book again. She knows how it ends from the last time we read them several years ago and is so sad. (I'm that way about the end of The House at Pooh Corner; I choke up every time I read it.)

I vote for The Hobbit if you haven't read it together already, followed by the LOTR series.

With all your boys, Treasure Island might be a lot of fun as a family readaloud.

• Like 1

Oh, but you can't read only "That Hideous Strength." You must read the first two of the series: "Out of the Silent Planet" and "Perelandra." :-)

Although I do like the other two in this trilogy, the last one stands alone perfectly well and is the most applicable to modern life.  It is also the best written, with the least appeal to naïve early sci fi.  I can easily imagine reading the first and quitting.  I can't imagine not loving the last.

Hence in the same way as I recommend starting the Narnia Chronicles with LWW, and then backtracking to the prequel, I recommend starting this trilogy with THS and then backtracking. 

• Like 1

These are great suggestions. Keep them coming. I'm especially excited to add the oldest two (at home) back into our evening read alouds. As much as I love children's literature, I enjoy sharing new books with my olders.  Maybe the CS Lewis series, or at least one of them, that Carol and Ellie mentioned upthread would be good. We've all read the Hobbit but -- now I admit my utter lack of classical background -- I've never read the rest of Tolkien's series.  :huh:  I know. My grown kids have tongue-in-cheek said their lit tutorial teacher said no one can be truly literate if they haven't read the Tolkien books. And I can't have my older kids having that over me!! So maybe that. 

Lisa

• Like 1

Although I do like the other two in this trilogy, the last one stands alone perfectly well and is the most applicable to modern life.  It is also the best written, with the least appeal to naïve early sci fi.  I can easily imagine reading the first and quitting.  I can't imagine not loving the last.

Hence in the same way as I recommend starting the Narnia Chronicles with LWW, and then backtracking to the prequel, I recommend starting this trilogy with THS and then backtracking. 

If you haven't read the first two, you don't know who Ransom is and why he might have "followers," or why his heel continually bleeds without healing. And there is some stuff in it I just don't get, as in the end when they are all wearing robes and whatnot. I read it because it is part of the trilogy, but on its own, there's just too much that is not discernible. :-)

• Like 2

And I love the finish that Lewis wrote to the books but  we are so sad to see the end of the series! 

This is 3rd time I've read them aloud to my kids -- but the first time for my youngest two -- and the maybe 5th time I've gone through the series. We've spent the better part of this school year with Narnia. Ds has been anticipating being out of Narnia books and has been saying for weeks there should be more.  

My only consolation is that we're going to start Heidi, which is one of if not the one of my all-time favorite books. 

And I'm searching for a read-aloud I can do with my high school boys as well since they're now out of sports.

So, anyone have suggestions to fill our can't-wait-to-get-to-it read-aloud void? Or maybe you could just commiserate with finishing a book that you never wanted to end. 

Lisa

Well, since you enjoyed Narnia with your younger kids, you might enjoy reading through The Hobbit and/or Lord of the Rings with your older boys. It is certainly more intense, a bit darker (in a way), and more complex, but with older kids, that might be a good thing.

If you read the Ralph Moody series, be advised that the father dies. Just an FYI for you.

Some ideas:

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain

Life on the Mississippi, by Mark Twain

Roughing It, by Mark Twain

The Yearling, by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Old Yeller, by Fred Gipson

Not novels, but worth reading:

With Open Hands, by Henri Nouwen

Born Again, by Charles Colson

Just As I Am: The Autobiography of Billy Graham, by Billy Graham

Nearing Home: Faith, Life, and Finishing Well, by Billy Graham

The Reason for My Hope: Salvation, by Billy Graham

• Like 2

These aren't series, but would lead to great conversations re faith.

Kisses from Katie is an amazing read-aloud. My dd10 loved it (I had to skip/edit a few things but not too much), but I don't think I would read it to a 7 year old.

A friend read Randy Alcorn's Safely Home to her dc. I would say that is definitely for older dc (maybe 12 and up?).

I love reading aloud and sharing books together!

• Like 1

Oh, we can commiserate around here!  My older dd loves fantasy series, and I have gotten used to hearing "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!" A howl of despair from the soul when she realizes that a favorite series is over.  She usually starts over again at the beginning.  :D  But the existential crisis is real, for sure.

That's about what we've been saying all week! I'm already wondering how many years I can wait until we re-read them again. So they *get it* at the next level. 

We just finished All Creatures Great and Small-- love James Herriot

the children were mad when I started it (mainly because I wouldn't read the whole Anne of GG series -just the first one) but they soon loved the book as much as I did. Hopefully they will start reading the rest of the series on their own now.

I am now debating what to read next-- the Narnia book(s) or the Hobbit or something else.

I adored those books growing up. But I have so far failed to get any of my kids hooked on them. And the one time we sat down to watch the PBS show, we were eating dinner and my kids were grossed out at a calf delivery. :D

The high schoolers might really enjoy "That Hideous Strength" also by C. S. Lewis.

And the whole gang would probably like "The Hobbit".

Meant to tag Ellie's post here as well, b/c this looks like a good option. 

George macDonald might also go over well, or Charles Williams for the older kids.

Hmmm.... these have always been on our list but we never made it past the first chapter or so of Back of the North Wind. 

My oldest refuses to listen to the last Narnia book again. She knows how it ends from the last time we read them several years ago and is so sad. (I'm that way about the end of The House at Pooh Corner; I choke up every time I read it.)

I vote for The Hobbit if you haven't read it together already, followed by the LOTR series.

With all your boys, Treasure Island might be a lot of fun as a family readaloud.

I'm only sad about Susan. What?! Not saying anything else b/c of a possible spoiler. 

• Like 1

Ralph Moody's Little Britches series is perfect for all ages...a lot of life lessons.

Yes, this always looked appealing to me, but I'm glad to  know Sahamama's tip. Loss of the dad in the plot s still too hard for my youngers. :(

Carol, that's exactly how we read the books! It's my favorite way to read through the series! 

We've spent the whole school year on Narnia too and we're up to Chapter 3 in The Last Battle. I don't want it to be over either. Waa!

I was amazed how much of the detail I'd forgotten about the last book. I'm glad they stopped making movies out of the series b/c they never do the book justice! 

These aren't series, but would lead to great conversations re faith.

Kisses from Katie is an amazing read-aloud. My dd10 loved it (I had to skip/edit a few things but not too much), but I don't think I would read it to a 7 year old.

A friend read Randy Alcorn's Safely Home to her dc. I would say that is definitely for older dc (maybe 12 and up?).

I love reading aloud and sharing books together!

I loved Kisses from Katie. My oldest dd couldn't even talk about the book b/c she was stuffing down every desire to move overseas herself. What an amazing young woman Katie Daivs is! 

My son and I both loved Watership Down as a read aloud

Love that book as well, but the olders have read it. I'll save it for a read aloud with my youngers in a few years which will be nice b/c I always forget so much detail. 

Thanks for the suggestions! Thanks for the commiseration. Sahamamama, I didn't quote your post b/c of length but I appreciate the great suggestions. 

Lisa

• Like 1

Hmmm.... these have always been on our list but we never made it past the first chapter or so of Back of the North Wind. 

You might have better luck with The Princess and the Goblin.

For Charles Williams, Descent Into Hell would be a good choice for high school students reading Plato.

• Like 1