Menu

Dog owners, tell me about your furniture

Greta

What kind of couch and chairs can stand up to three dogs? They're not so destructive that they chew on furnishings. But they are also not so well trained that they won't make full use of the furniture for their own comfort! So we need furniture that can stand up to dog claws (not actively clawing at the furniture but jumping up on it) and fur.

We have cheap, ugly, mismatched furniture: a futon and some IKEA chairs. Our home looks like a first apartment right after you graduate from college, but we've lived here for 16 years!!! I'm so sick of it. I want actual grown-up furniture, which we've never bought because we're afraid of it getting destroyed by the dogs, but also because my husband does not like spending any money on this kind of thing. But he's had his way for 16 years, so it's my turn! :D

I have regular fabric couches. Mine are IKEA Ektorps. Never had any issues. Grew up with dogs and had regular couches. If they are major diggers or chewers I can't imagine needing anything special.

The washable and cheap-enough-to-replace-often cover seems like a good idea. Thanks!

IMO leather works better- we have 2 newfoundlands= slobber and fur...much easier to clean leather than fabric. Of course, they're not allowed on the fabric couch, but they seem to forget!

I would LOVE leather, but I'm hesitant because I always thought their claws would scratch it up. You haven't had that problem?

I keep throw blankets on the furniture that dogs are likely to get onto--that deals with the fur, claws or other mess type problem. I also have a very comfortable dog bed for the dogs to try to make that appealing.  There are plastic mat things with raised bumps that you can put on furniture to try to make it uncomfortable for dog use, also.  I have found that once a dog has taken to a piece of furniture and gotten dog smell on it, they feel entitled, but if that does not happen, it is easier to convince them that it is not their spot.  I had a new adult rescue dog at one point who used his nose to figure out where the "dog spots" were and weren't. I told him a stuffed chair was not for dogs and he sniffed and agreed with me. Then I tried to tell him that another piece of furniture wasn't (because that was the way I wanted it, despite prior dog use)--he sniffed and gave me a reproachful glance that clearly told me he knew from the smell that I was lying. I kid you not. He was a very smart dog.  Anyway, new furniture will/should be dog scent free and you have a better chance IMO/IME in starting new rules about it, esp if there is a really nice dog bed to send them to instead and something to be uncomfortable for them on new furniture even when you are not present to enforce rules.  If you have room, maybe an old couch or chair could even be reserved for dog use.

• Like 2

Thanks Pen! That's something to consider, though I really believe that our whippet is untrainable in this regard. The warmest, softest, comfiest place in the house is hers, and she knows it with every fiber of her being! :lol: Our littlest one just wants to be in someone's lap, and I like having a lap dog, so that's cool. The Eskie is probably the most trainable of the three but it seems unfair to pick on him. :). So I guess I am inclined to give in and say that the furniture is for both two-legged and four-legged residents.

We've had all leather couches, loveseats and recliners since 2000.  All have held up well to the dogs' nails, but I use a Dremel on them weekly, so their nails are never sharp.  If I had fabric covered furniture (I shudder a bit at the thought), you can bet we'd be using LOTS of throws.

• Like 2

We've had all leather couches, loveseats and recliners since 2000. All have held up well to the dogs' nails, but I use a Dremel on them weekly, so their nails are never sharp. If I had fabric covered furniture (I shudder a bit at the thought), you can bet we'd be using LOTS of throws.

Our dogs range in age from 8 to 14. Think it's too late to get them used to a Dremel? They intensely hate getting their nails clipped. The whippet is good about it, she just freezes, like she thinks that if she's perfectly still we won't see her and we'll forget about it. :lol: But the other two fight so hard that I have to have another set of hands to help me hold them still. A Dremel is slower, right?

Our dogs range in age from 8 to 14. Think it's too late to get them used to a Dremel? They intensely hate getting their nails clipped. The whippet is good about it, she just freezes, like she thinks that if she's perfectly still we won't see her and we'll forget about it. :lol: But the other two fight so hard that I have to have another set of hands to help me hold them still. A Dremel is slower, right?

A Dremel takes longer than clipping, and the noise freaks some dogs out.  But I've found with my own dogs and with fosters that with patience most can learn to tolerate it, and once they get used to it most seem to find Dremeling less objectionable than clipping.

• Like 1

The washable and cheap-enough-to-replace-often cover seems like a good idea. Thanks!

I have a small dog currently, but she digs furiously in the couch everyday and hasn't damaged the covers yet. I have one of the thicker, heavier covers. She never digs outside, what a weirdo!
  • Like 1

I read the title "Dog owners tell me about your future." The brain is a funny thing - one has to know how to use it correctly.

Our big cane corso was in a fairly large laundry room, had his food/water and bed there and was able to meander through the house only when we were home. He was trained not to sit on couches and would just plop down on the floor.

I do have a couch that we purchased years ago where the cushion covers come off and I had to wash it many times when we still had a cat. Surprisingly, they still look good -well good enough for us.

Have you thought of using blankets on the couches? MIL used to do this when she had a dog.

• Like 1

Ikea slip-covered couches with washable slip covers in brown. They wash great, look fine between washings, and have held up for 4-5 years so far with 3 to 5 dogs, 4 cats, many kids, hard living. I think they look nice. I replace the throw pillow covers (or entire pillows) every 2-3 years when they get tired looking (from washings). I never buy upholstered furniture that isn't washable. I buy they Ektorp couches, FWIW.

Washable duvet covers and/or quilts/blankets (and a large capacity front-loader washer) if you let the dogs on the beds (as we do).

Good quality leather holds up pretty well, too, especially if you go with a more "distressed" or Ralph Lauren saddle-looking looking leather as opposed to spotless black modern. You'll just need to wipe it down with a leather cream periodically. 

I finally got rid of all carpeting. Hardwood and tile everywhere makes the house much more dog-durable. 

I just bought a Roomba vacuum. Dogs make a lot of hair and dust bunnies drive me batty. The new 800 series is supposedly more pet-hair-mess resistant than the old ones. (I had an old one, loved it, but returned it due to the annoyance of hair tangles on the brushes.)

• Like 2

I read the title "Dog owners tell me about your future." The brain is a funny thing - one has to know how to use it correctly.

I've misread so many thread titles, often with humorous results. Mine would have been more clear if I had written it as "Dog owners, please tell me about your furniture." My apologies.

Our big cane corso was in a fairly large laundry room, had his food/water and bed there and was able to meander through the house only when we were home. He was trained not to sit on couches and would just plop down on the floor.

What a good dog. :)

Have you thought of using blankets on the couches? MIL used to do this when she had a dog.

It's the simplest solution, but to be honest not my favorite. I have an impulse to fold and put away the blanket every time I see it! I think the washable covers might work better for me.

Ikea slip-covered couches with washable slip covers in brown. They wash great, look fine between washings, and have held up for 4-5 years so far with 3 to 5 dogs, 4 cats, many kids, hard living. I think they look nice. I replace the throw pillow covers (or entire pillows) every 2-3 years when they get tired looking (from washings). I never buy upholstered furniture that isn't washable. I buy they Ektorp couches, FWIW.

Lots of good reviews of the Ektorp -- thanks!

Good quality leather holds up pretty well, too, especially if you go with a more "distressed" or Ralph Lauren saddle-looking looking leather as opposed to spotless black modern. You'll just need to wipe it down with a leather cream periodically.

Good to know.

I finally got rid of all carpeting. Hardwood and tile everywhere makes the house much more dog-durable.

We did that too. Carpets and dogs just do not mix, as far as I'm concerned. I really prefer the look and feel of hardwood and tile anyway.

I just bought a Roomba vacuum. Dogs make a lot of hair and dust bunnies drive me batty. The new 800 series is supposedly more pet-hair-mess resistant than the old ones. (I had an old one, loved it, but returned it due to the annoyance of hair tangles on the brushes.)

I would LOVE a Roomba!

• Like 1

We haven't had any scratches on the leather- one of mine tries to "bury" a few kibbles in the cushions and this did tear a less expensive faux-leather sofa we had between the cushions. With our better quality sofa I haven't noticed any issues.

Is the difference in the quality of various grades of leather pretty obvious when you're shopping? I'm not sure what to look for.

Buying a leather furniture about 5 years ago changed my life!  No more vacuuming for hours before company arrives and no more hair woven into my fabric couches.  When we first sold out for leather I used to demonstrate how I could just take my hand and swipe dog hair onto the floor.  It was so freeing!  Apparently it doesn't take much to rock my world!  My kids thought I was nuts!

ETA: Nails haven't affected our furniture either. 

• Like 2

Is the difference in the quality of various grades of leather pretty obvious when you're shopping? I'm not sure what to look for.

I'm no expert. But I would avoid "bonded leather", it's only composed of a small percentage of real leather. There's a big difference in price point as you'll see when you shop- and to me the softer and more "buttery" feeling the better.

• Like 2

I'm no expert. But I would avoid "bonded leather", it's only composed of a small percentage of real leather. There's a big difference in price point as you'll see when you shop- and to me the softer and more "buttery" feeling the better.

I was just coming to post this. No bonded leather - it won't hold up. Leather will. :)

Bonded leather is like particle board as opposed to real wood.

• Like 2

We bought leather.  And when we got it, we immediately trained the GSD to stay off (she has her own ottoman from the old set of furniture as her "place.") and the lhasa to stay on a quilt.  They both do rarely touch it otherwise, but it isn't regularly or wild (the GSD thought the last furniture was a playground to jump on, move, lie on, etc).  

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for the help! I will remember to avoid bonded leather - did not even know that term so thank you for explaining. I talked to hubby last night and he said he would rather invest in leather than go for the cheaper Ikea option. But this is the problem we've had before: he doesn't want to buy the cheap option, but we "can't afford" the expensive option, so we end up buying nothing! :(