Menu

What would a STEM-heavy high school curric look like?

Honestly, I think that is overkill for 7th and 8th grades. All of the sciences do not require an honors class prior to the AP level class. BC can be taken in a single yr.

It isn't as bad as it sounds.  They replace the regular 7th and 8th grade material with introductory high school split over the two years.  So, it's 1.5x normal load, not 3x.

Still, it's nice to know what "the competition" looks like, if that matters at all.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that many here are taking Calc AB and then Calc BC.  At our school the kids pick one or the other based on how well they do in precalc.  My son went straight to Calc BC and it was not difficult.  We were told Calc BC is essentially Calc ABC in a way and that it is Calc AB with more added on.  If you take both does it seem redundant the first half of the year or so?

They are redundant, and I haven't heard of many doing both.  My impression is that it is just an option based on strength of precalculus, as you stated.  Most go straight into BC, or stop at AB.

It isn't as bad as it sounds. They replace the regular 7th and 8th grade material with introductory high school split over the two years. So, it's 1.5x normal load, not 3x.

Still, it's nice to know what "the competition" looks like, if that matters at all.

It isn't a model I would want to emulate. I just don't see it as that great of a model.

This is what my current college freshman did and loved every minute of it.

8th- alg 2, intermediate alg (AoPS), physics (prior to 8th science was whatever he wanted to read about)

9th- pre-cal, chem, astronomy 1

10th- cal with BC exam, AP chem, astronomy 2

11th-multivariable, DiffEQ, cal physics 1&2, independent black hole and dark matter study

12th- linear, modern physics, physical mechanics 1&2, bio (Thinkwell's level)

No repetitive cycle. Advancing at his natural level. Taking subject matter he loved. And further advanced than their sequence starting at a lower level.

The JOY of homeschooling.

• Like 6

I find it interesting that many here are taking Calc AB and then Calc BC.  At our school the kids pick one or the other based on how well they do in precalc.  My son went straight to Calc BC and it was not difficult.  We were told Calc BC is essentially Calc ABC in a way and that it is Calc AB with more added on.  If you take both does it seem redundant the first half of the year or so?

It depends on whether you are taking a Calc BC class that is *supposed* to follow a Calc AB class or one that's supposed to be freestanding.

If they start out assuming that you're already pretty competent in limits and differentiation and just need a brief review before moving on to the "C" material and test prep, it's going to be pretty difficult to move directly in. A lot of schools that do both set it up like that.

Ok so what is Calc AB and Calc BC? 

I was just about to start a new thread asking this!  I understand how PS would set it up that way, but as homeschoolers if we buy a calculus book how do we know what level it is?  Suddenly I feel very unprepared for highschool!

• Like 1

I was just about to start a new thread asking this!  I understand how PS would set it up that way, but as homeschoolers if we buy a calculus book how do we know what level it is?  Suddenly I feel very unprepared for highschool!

Just looked and the high school here offers Alg 1, Geometry, Trig, pre-calc, and statistics.  If one wants to take anything above that they do so through the local CC.

Looking at the local CC they just call the courses pre-calc, calc 1, calc 2, calc 3, etc. 

I've never heard of stuff called Calc AB, etc. 

You have probably heard of it as AP Calc. No AP math courses are offered in my district. Students here take Calc DE or online. Occasionally someone will use the AP Exam to validate an unaccredited online math course.

Apparently my district does not offer AP Calc.  Seems they have some honors versions of the courses I listed, but nothing called AP.

You have probably heard of it as AP Calc. No AP math courses are offered in my district. Students here take Calc DE or online. Occasionally someone will use the AP Exam to validate an unaccredited online math course.

AB/BC are solely AP high school terms. In college, you will usually see Calc 1, 2, 3. Sometimes you will see A, B, C, etc. For most of those schools (not all) Calc AB will cover (surprise) Calc A and B while calc BC will cover calc A, B, and C. 

• Like 1

Well, a secondary consideration is California DOE's mandatory High School graduation requirements.  Unfortunately, it appears they require three years of a very specific type:

Three years of history/social studies, including one year of U.S. history and geography; one year of world history, culture, and geography; one semester of American government and civics, and one semester of economics. --http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/hs/hsgrtable.asp

It seems odd that they exceed both UC and CSU in this one area while only requiring two years of math and science.  This seems kind of backwards to me in terms of priorities.  Dual enrollment looks better all the time for some of this stuff.

Right.  Weird.

All I really want to know is, do we have to do economics in high school?  :lol:   Luckily Coursera offers a plethora of econ classes.  And I have lots of subversive books I want her to read.  But it ain't going to be a-g approved!

• Like 2

Why so much dang history.  Four?  Ugh.

(just talking to myself mostly)

All the colleges my kids wanted to apply to only required 3. Ds had 4, but dd will have 3. She will have 6 or 7 science credits though, because that is her interest. 

Also remember it doesn't all have to be history. Psychology counts, Geography, Sociology, Anthropology... there are choices here besides just history if you have a history hater. (is it acceptable to admit to having a history hater on a WTM board?)

• Like 2

He chose what he took when. And he ended up way beyond the Basis sequence. Zero stress.

Yes!  :hurray: Self-driven learning...it is just beyond comparison.

I do empathize with parents with very STEM-oriented kids in PS and I virtually know a few families with kids in Basis/ other similar models. For them, it's a meeting place of giving the children the challenge and social opportunities they crave within a structure like Basis because the parents cannot or do not want to homeschool. But yes, definitely not something I choose to do.

I was surprised to hear that Stanford's OHS is a similar model of repeating sciences before getting to AP level. I am not sure if OHS allows placement into higher sciences via exam.

• Like 2

All the colleges my kids wanted to apply to only required 3. Ds had 4, but dd will have 3. She will have 6 or 7 science credits though, because that is her interest. 

Also remember it doesn't all have to be history. Psychology counts, Geography, Sociology, Anthropology... there are choices here besides just history if you have a history hater. (is it acceptable to admit to having a history hater on a WTM board?)

No actually the configuration required for the homeschool regs wouldn't really allow for all of that.

He isn't a history hater.  He really enjoys history, but he has no plans to major in history.  So some history yes, but history heavy? No. 

But nobody tells me which books we have to use so doesn't mean all the history has to be intense or anything.

Right.  Weird.

All I really want to know is, do we have to do economics in high school?  :lol:   Luckily Coursera offers a plethora of econ classes.  And I have lots of subversive books I want her to read.  But it ain't going to be a-g approved!

I sympathize! I find economics mind numbingly boring. My husband thinks it is cool. Unfortunately, he doesn't have time to teach it. GRRR.... so guess who seriously considered something like "Economics for Dummies" for the boys? LOL

I ended up with a simple economics text which they read through and take an occasional quiz coupled with the Economist videos from The Great Courses. They decided that it was best to just be tortured intensively, but shortly, and completed it in less than two months.

It is on the Michigan Merit Curriculum List and has been a high school graduation requirement in Michigan since long before I graduated many moons ago, so unavoidable. :glare:

• Like 2

Right.  Weird.

What I like even less is to require our kids to take all of these courses, then in college to have these same courses required again in the form of lower division requirements.  Freshman and Sophomore years are busy enough, especially for STEM students.  Then to hoist repetitive GE courses on top of an already busy schedule seems unnecessary, IMO.

• Like 4

I sympathize! I find economics mind numbingly boring. My husband thinks it is cool. Unfortunately, he doesn't have time to teach it. GRRR.... so guess who seriously considered something like "Economics for Dummies" for the boys? LOL

I ended up with a simple economics text which they read through and take an occasional quiz coupled with the Economist videos from The Great Courses. They decided that it was best to just be tortured intensively, but shortly, and completed it in less than two months.

It is on the Michigan Merit Curriculum List and has been a high school graduation requirement in Michigan since long before I graduated many moons ago, so unavoidable. :glare:

My husband said he likes the subject of economics.  Well good for you then you'll be the one dealing with it!  LOL

It was the one and only course I barely got through in college.  I think the professor just took pity on me and gave me a C+ because he felt bad I tried so hard, but was so clueless. 

My husband said he likes the subject of economics.  Well good for you then you'll be the one dealing with it!  LOL

It was the one and only course I barely got through in college.  I think the professor just took pity on me and gave me a C+ because he felt bad I tried so hard, but was so clueless. 

I literally don't remember taking it in high school.  I must have done, because it was a requirement in CA even back in the last century, but I don't remember a thing.  Not the teacher, not the classroom, not a single textbook or reading or anything.  It's a total blank.

What I like even less is to require our kids to take all of these courses, then in college to have these same courses required again in the form of lower division requirements.  Freshman and Sophomore years are busy enough, especially for STEM students.  Then to hoist repetitive GE courses on top of an already busy schedule seems unnecessary, IMO.

Exactly!  I find that so stupid. 

Then again I wasn't a STEM major so when it came to taking chemistry or math I took the easier courses.  There are definitely easier git er done courses in college for history (and pretty much every subject). 

I know the whole "well rounded" argument, but I still think it's too much.  Why do we have to do EVERYTHING and twice?!

• Like 1

Exactly!  I find that so stupid. 

Then again I wasn't a STEM major so when it came to taking chemistry or math I took the easier courses.  There are definitely easier git er done courses in college for history (and pretty much every subject). 

I know the whole "well rounded" argument, but I still think it's too much.  Why do we have to do EVERYTHING and twice?!

I still remember the pain of Calculus, Physics, Chemistry (5 units!), English and the other GE 'fluff' courses I was required to take.  I know many love History/Econ/Social Studies, etc...  Heck, some even major in these areas and there is nothing wrong with that at all.  But it just wan't my focus or thing as a 19 y/o STEM student.  It can really detract from one's main area of focus.  Though, I do agree with the comments earlier regarding writing as essential for any major.

I still remember the pain of Calculus, Physics, Chemistry (5 units!), English and the other GE 'fluff' courses I was required to take.  I know many love History/Econ/Social Studies, etc...  Heck, some even major in these areas and there is nothing wrong with that at all.  But it just wan't my focus or thing as a 19 y/o STEM student.  It can really detract from one's main area of focus.  Though, I do agree with the comments earlier regarding writing as essential for any major.

Yeah writing is necessary for pretty much all majors.  If anything maybe they should make people take more writing classes than art appreciation, gym (we had to take gym), history, etc. 

• Like 1

IDK, my AP scores allowed me to opt out of almost all of my humanities courses.  But I regret it.  As an engineering major, it seemed like a good idea at the time.  Now I wish that I would have had actual humanities courses at my university, not just AP versions.

• Like 1

IDK, my AP scores allowed me to opt out of almost all of my humanities courses.  But I regret it.  As an engineering major, it seemed like a good idea at the time.  Now I wish that I would have had actual humanities courses at my university, not just AP versions.

I can see that.  I enjoyed taking some of the courses not in my major, but I would have preferred to take fewer.  I did not really want to take an art class.  i didn't really want to take a gym class.  Why so many random courses?  KWIM?

I can see that.  I enjoyed taking some of the courses not in my major, but I would have preferred to take fewer.  I did not really want to take an art class.  i didn't really want to take a gym class.  Why so many random courses?  KWIM?

I actually like the "required courses not in the major" to encourage breadth and cross-disciplinary understanding but I don't like the "let's just re-do all the high school courses for a college grade". Why on earth, if a high school level course is enough, can't the student who already had a high school course let it suffice? Why does it have to be a survey class and not an upper-division specialized course?

• Like 1

I actually like the "required courses not in the major" to encourage breadth and cross-disciplinary understanding but I don't like the "let's just re-do all the high school courses for a college grade". Why on earth, if a high school level course is enough, can't the student who already had a high school course let it suffice? Why does it have to be a survey class and not an upper-division specialized course?

I didn't take any survey classes actually because I thought how boring.  I took crazy stuff like Geography of the Former Soviet Union and History of Poland instead of general world or U.S. history.  I didn't take art appreciation.  I took a course about graphic design that was very hands on. 

You may not have missed much depending on the school and subjects taken.  I did just the opposite, taking a lot of GEs, and mostly remember heavy political agendas/biases which, if not agreed, became problems.  I've never been one to massage teachers' egos either.  Those were some interesting fireworks. ;)  Then there were the junk science courses like nutrition based on things like USDA 'facts' of the day.  I did enjoy some like music history.  I see the problem not so much in taking electives one may enjoy, but rather being forced to take things like US History again which one may not really care for.  

I actually went back and took other classes for enjoyment like furniture making at the local CC.  I also went back and took quite a few psychology and Bible courses among other humanities from several different colleges/universities.  I found them all very enjoyable, for the most part. 

The other big difference today versus when I went to college is the overall higher cost of education vs. the huge variety of MOOC courses available from some of the best schools in the nation.  If one wants to study Ancient History, Machine Learning, you name it, most are available online.  That's a huge paradigm shift and new way to learn from some of the best and brightest in their respective fields.  For example, I took an MIT course recently on Overcoming the Challenges of Big Data which was excellent.  The instructors were extremely knowledgeable in this growing area.  There was no way to get that kind of instruction way back in the 'stone ages' unless one actually went to MIT and spent thousands upon thousands of dollars doing so.

• Like 1

I didn't take any survey classes actually because I thought how boring.  I took crazy stuff like Geography of the Former Soviet Union and History of Poland instead of general world or U.S. history.  I didn't take art appreciation.  I took a course about graphic design that was very hands on. 

See, my undergrad wouldn't let us do that. It was surveys or nothing.

I didn't WANT to take music appreciation/art appreciation/whatever -- I was pretty sure I would learn nothing new, and I was right. (I realize this sounds arrogant, but really, those classes seemed pitched to someone who'd never had ANY education in that area).

Haha, yeah, I remember taking the class in international relations which had the president of the College Republicans as a student and the agave-nectar-sipping birkenstock-wearing long-flowing-hair professor as an instructor. Interesting discussions.

• Like 2

See, my undergrad wouldn't let us do that. It was surveys or nothing.

I didn't WANT to take music appreciation/art appreciation/whatever -- I was pretty sure I would learn nothing new, and I was right. (I realize this sounds arrogant, but really, those classes seemed pitched to someone who'd never had ANY education in that area).

I often had to get the teaching prof to sign off on allowing me to do it because they usually had prerequisites.  They always signed it for me. 

But I didn't major in anything I'd consider as challenging as something like math, science, or engineering.  I would not have taken those classes otherwise. 

Haha, yeah, I remember taking the class in international relations which had the president of the College Republicans as a student and the agave-nectar-sipping birkenstock-wearing long-flowing-hair professor as an instructor. Interesting discussions.

I took a Woman's Study course.  The prof was pretty "out there".  Whenever she returned graded papers they'd have paw prints, coffee rings, etc. all over them.  LOL

I took a Woman's Study course.  The prof was pretty "out there".  Whenever she returned graded papers they'd have paw prints, coffee rings, etc. all over them.  LOL

One of my friends dropped a women's studies course.

The first assignment was to write down all the money they spent making themselves beautiful every month. My friend wrote down her shampoo, bodywash, and after a little thought added her acne medication. The professor said "But what about your lotion? your foundation? your lipstick?" (none of which she used) and gave her a 0 on the assignment because she clearly hadn't "done" it.

eta: this is not meant as a slam at women's studies profs in general -- just at this one :D

• Like 1

In Texas you must take 2 US history classes and 2 US and TX Government classes. That's almost a whole semester of high school redux. It's a state law so all the state colleges must require these classes.

We'll be doing APUSH and DE Govt as part of high school so T can take more interesting classes when we're paying uni tuition.

One of my friends dropped a women's studies course.

The first assignment was to write down all the money they spent making themselves beautiful every month. My friend wrote down her shampoo, bodywash, and after a little thought added her acne medication. The professor said "But what about your lotion? your foundation? your lipstick?" (none of which she used) and gave her a 0 on the assignment because she clearly hadn't "done" it.

eta: this is not meant as a slam at women's studies profs in general -- just at this one :D

Oh gosh I would have flunked that assignment.  I wouldn't even consider shampoo and body wash a beauty thing.  And then I'd have nothing else to add.

It isn't a model I would want to emulate. I just don't see it as that great of a model.

This is what my current college freshman did and loved every minute of it.

8th- alg 2, intermediate alg (AoPS), physics (prior to 8th science was whatever he wanted to read about)

9th- pre-cal, chem, astronomy 1

10th- cal with BC exam, AP chem, astronomy 2

11th-multivariable, DiffEQ, cal physics 1&2, independent black hole and dark matter study

12th- linear, modern physics, physical mechanics 1&2, bio (Thinkwell's level)

No repetitive cycle. Advancing at his natural level. Taking subject matter he loved. And further advanced than their sequence starting at a lower level.

The JOY of homeschooling.

Yeah, we weren't too enamored, either.  Mainly because it is a spiral curriculum through-and-through, and not for "gifted" kids, but rather, for "workaholics" (their words, not mine).

Some kids do better with spiral, though.  Lots of kids, I would venture to say.

• Like 2

Right.  Weird.

One last twist on the California DOE requirements I discovered which I think I must have heard before:

Are students of private high schools required to complete the 13 minimum courses for graduation?

No. Private high schools have the authority to set their own graduation requirements. However, many private high schools do include at least the state minimum courses in order to ensure that students transitioning to or from public schools have less disruption in their progress toward graduation. -- http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/hs/hsgrfaq.asp#Q3

What courses must my child take to graduate from high school?
Private schools including home based private schools and private independent study programs create their own graduation requirements. If you are enrolled in a PSP, check with your school for requirements.  -- http://www.californiahomeschool.net/how-to-homeschool/faq-high-school/

The way I understand this is that we are not bound to CA DOE for High School graduation.  Rather, we set our own requirements as private schools based on the criteria we deem most important.  So following UC's A-G guidelines, for example, would be perfectly acceptable.  

• Like 4

I feel like my kids are getting a solid STEM education...I don't know how heavy it will wind up being, but we have gone the more rigorous route vs. just more.

DS#1 will have Algebra 2/trig, Statistics, Pre-Calc, Calc 1, and Calc 2; AP Biology, Adv Chem, Honors Physics, probably AP Physics (maybe a couple of them), Robotics, Engineering Drawing, and various computer courses. But none of that is coming at the expense of humanities or literature. He will also take public speaking/communication courses. Right now he is leaning towards a double major with Engineering, and either business, marketing, or a comms major like me, which I think is smart. He is also taking electives in digital photography and other areas of interest.

Dd#2 will probably go through Calc 3 or something equivalent. Her science sequence will differ slightly, but she will still have AP Bio, AP Physics, AP Chem, but she will probably also have Marine Bio, Organic Chem, and Oceanography or Environmental Science.

DS#3 wants to be a doctor or a vet...so that will change his science focus -- But he will still have the big three AP his siblings had.

I have no idea where they will wind up college wise.

• Like 2

We have done what others have said above. All I can add is:

We have made ds's history classes light to make room for more challenging math classes. So not only does history only take 4 hours a week, it is also less brainful as I choose non-challenging materials. So history is fun not rigorous.

He does a lot of math over the summer (camp, classes, personal study). So in 9th grade and 10th grade he has taken six math classes.

He does math competitions.

We spend time doing scientific investigations.

Ruth in NZ

Ruth, 

Thank you so much for saying this because this is exactly what I had planned to do for my ds.  I see no need to expend brain power on history or literature.  We will cover it but in a much more relaxed manner than science, math and writing.

• Like 1

Yeah, we weren't too enamored, either.  Mainly because it is a spiral curriculum through-and-through, and not for "gifted" kids, but rather, for "workaholics" (their words, not mine).

Some kids do better with spiral, though.  Lots of kids, I would venture to say.

Mike which curriculum are you referring to here?  BASIS school's curriculum?

That's a good reason to really check what your kid's possible colleges offer. Liberal Arts universities are just that. At my son's school he can take the upper level GE courses or surveys. There are many to choose from, luckily, at his SUNY school. They push the Physics majors towards a heavy math/science for the first 3 semesters, then add the GEcourses in the next two. My son sometimes complains about " wasting" time with Fine Arts/History, but he also realizes they serve as sort of an easy break from his math and science classes.

Yes, but read the GE for yourself -- many universities call themselves liberal arts but really aren't. 

Mike which curriculum are you referring to here?  BASIS school's curriculum?

Yep, it's spiral in every sense -- they start early, they start heavy, and repeat, repeat, repeat until every kid can pass the APs.  It works, but it can be brutal for some kids.  It's great for others...  Our younger one would love it, so we're thinking about it.

What are you going to use for the other Algebra?

My current plan is to go back to Fred.  She was halfway through LOF Alg1 when it just wasn't making sense to her, and Saxon was a better fit.  So I'm thinking going through Fred Alg1&2 should pick up any gaps and give a different way of explaining anything that is still giving her a trouble.  Since it's not new material at that point, she should be able to go through both books pretty quickly.  But if you ask me at this time next year, it will probably turn out to be something completely different....

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking ahead.  My ds(grade6) is heavy into Physics.  Every breathing moment he wants more physics related material.  This year he is taking an online non-Algebra Physics class and is doing great.  He appears to be heading  for heavy STEM high school classes.  For middle school math he has using AoPS and will continual down that path unless he changes direction.    I ensure he is working on writing/literature,  math, and computer programming.  He gets other subjects; they are just not a focus at this time.   His free time is spent reading (maybe 20hrs+ a week)  and watching science videos and documentaries.  He has more time for structured studies.  After reading this thread I am wondering if he should be taking advantage of these middle school years to move forward in his studies.  

My question lately is about Latin. In your experience does a STEM child need high school Latin?  

No.

Latin may be of some use for a medical student, but as a physicist, chemist, or mathematician, you don't need any Latin.

It's useful to have some familiarity with it as a botanist or a taxonomist, too, but not necessary to have studied the grammar.  More the stems, understanding what they mean can be helpful in understanding binomial nomenclature and remembering species names.  Not necessary, though.

My question lately is about Latin. In your experience does a STEM child need high school Latin?  

No.

Does he need Latin?  Does anyone, STEM or humanities focused, need Latin? Well no.  But is Latin still worthwhile to study?  Absolutely.  A well rounded education is a worthy goal to aspire to.  My dad, a Harvard trained professor of physics studied Latin, spoke Spanish, French, dabbled in German and Russian.  Played classical piano and french horn. Was any of that useful in his study or teaching of Physics?  Nope. All those "useless" subjects enriched his life, made him a better writer and teacher and more interesting person at the dinner table.

Of course, here in the real world trenches of homeschooling, most of us fail in reaching the lofty goals we set for ourselves. I for one, with this amazing role model in my father of what a well rounded education should look like, abandoned a few subjects, including Latin, with one or both my kids for a variety of reasons. But I narrowed things down at a later stage in the game, in 8th grade and high school.  I just think it is a shame to dismiss a subject, especially at such a young age, simply because there isn't obvious, tangible proof of its usefulness to a potential college major down the line.  

• Like 5

I think there's a big difference between "Does he need Latin?" and "Is Latin a bad idea?"

Studying enriching subjects is never a bad idea, but there's only a finite amount of time and an infinite amount of stuff to study.

So no. Latin's not a bad idea. But he doesn't need Latin specifically, and if he or his mom doesn't want to do it, there's no real reason to do it (beyond a roots study for vocabulary) instead of other enriching subjects.

• Like 4