Menu

What would a STEM-heavy high school curric look like?

Latin is one option for meeting a foreign language requirement.  If the student gets through at least one year of high school foreign language while in middle school, that may free up a little time on the back end, during late high school.

Does he need Latin?  Does anyone, STEM or humanities focused, need Latin? Well no.  But is Latin still worthwhile to study?  Absolutely.  A well rounded education is a worthy goal to aspire to.  My dad, a Harvard trained professor of physics studied Latin, spoke Spanish, French, dabbled in German and Russian.  Played classical piano and french horn. Was any of that useful in his study or teaching of Physics?  Nope. All those "useless" subjects enriched his life, made him a better writer and teacher and more interesting person at the dinner table.

Of course, here in the real world trenches of homeschooling, most of us fail in reaching the lofty goals we set for ourselves. I for one, with this amazing role model in my father of what a well rounded education should look like, abandoned a few subjects, including Latin, with one or both my kids for a variety of reasons. But I narrowed things down at a later stage in the game, in 8th grade and high school.  I just think it is a shame to dismiss a subject, especially at such a young age, simply because there isn't obvious, tangible proof of its usefulness to a potential college major down the line.  

I love this post.  Thanks for sharing!  Understanding the practical realities of life (college, jobs, finances) does not mean we have to resign ourselves and our children to a means-end education model. 

• 3 weeks later...

My husband highly recommends this book for students focusing on STEM subjects.  It's a classic and mastering the ability to think this way is essential if your child wants to be excellent in his or her STEM field.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Solve-Mathematical-Princeton-Science/dp/069116407X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429835220&sr=8-1&keywords=How+to+solve+it+polya

• Like 3

My husband highly recommends this book for students focusing on STEM subjects.  It's a classic and mastering the ability to think this way is essential if your child wants to be excellent in his or her STEM field.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Solve-Mathematical-Princeton-Science/dp/069116407X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429835220&sr=8-1&keywords=How+to+solve+it+polya

i

summary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Solve_It

• Like 2

The most important thing, IMO, is a strong math program. The math level decides what level of science the student can take, and as  a college instructor, I can not stress enough the importance of math foundation - it's not what science the student takes in high school, but the  math that determines college success in STEM disciplines.

I agree that math is the main prerequisite to good STEM colleges.  Not necessarily doubling up but things like...

1. very solid foundation & dexterity with basic computation,

2. spend as much time as needed for solid understanding and progression, shortening other things if needed,

3. build math endurance for longer and longer periods of time,

4. make sure he tests well in math (i.e. concepts + speed + understanding the tests), and

5. if possible, extracurricular or outside opportunities in math, such as math competitions, teams, clubs, or special programs.

STEM colleges also like students who have interests outside of schoolwork and will contribute to the student community.  Also students who communicate well (speaking and writing).

Julie

• Like 1