Menu

Boy Scout OA Ordeal question

momofkhm

I actually googled and one thing that came up was when someone else here asked a question about it 4 years ago.  :-)

Different question than that one though.  DS was tapped out and had planned to go on his ordeal this weekend.  But he has the flu.  The doc said he *might* be up to going camping by the weekend.  DH even asked me if it was the doc or me who said no.  It was me.  With what I've heard, it's just not something to do if you aren't feeling 100%.  Camping maybe, but not this.  a night without a sleeping bag is not a concern to me, except for a youth who has had the flu and the overnight lows this weekend are expected to be in the low 40's.

He can't go in May as that's the weekend dd graduates.  So we're left with September.  DH is getting a but pushy - taking a wait and see attitude, which is totally unlike him.

For what it's worth, ds is one who makes a big deal over not feeling well.  Although this time he's being rather stoic and trying to push through anyway.

So what says the Hive?

The flu can last a very long time.  And you can feel awful for weeks afterwards, depending on how severe.  The flu is not just a small head cold or a 24 hour stomach virus.  It can actually be quite serious.  I think you are right to have concerns about him going when he has the flu.  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

FriedClams, we have had that discussion here.

I'd reschedule too. Even if he had an emergency blanket and even if he could start a fire easily and even if the light rations were adequate....temps in the low 40s is cold and a strain on the body after influenZa.

I'll research, thanks. Not trying to start a cupcake war, so I'm deleting my last post. :-) thanks!

I asked my DH who went through an ordeal many years ago.  He said he thinks that the boy should know from previous camping experiences if he feels up to it.  I would most likely let my boy decide if he felt up to going. OTOH, my mommy instinct would be to keep him home, but I tend to overprotect my children.  I also get the impression that the ordeal is sometimes rumored to be much worse than it really is, but of course that will vary a lot by region and who is running it.

He can't go in May as that's the weekend dd graduates. So we're left with September. DH is getting a but pushy - taking a wait and see attitude, which is totally unlike him.

For what it's worth, ds is one who makes a big deal over not feeling well. Although this time he's being rather stoic and trying to push through anyway.

So what says the Hive?

Ask your DS and leave the decision to him. He's fourteen, old enough to know if he feels up to going through with it. There will be adults there; he won't be completely by himself.

• Like 1

In general, I'd be a no. My oldest son would have wanted to try to go anyhow. He hates missing stuff because he's sick. But at 15, he is a much better judge of what he can handle than he was at 12. If it was a mild case, and he was up and about, carrying on like normal, I'd probably be okay with it. If he had been sick for days, and tired quickly, unusually quiet, etc. No.

I know flu hits people differently...but personally, I've never experienced the flu the way most people here describe it. Neither have my kids. Maybe we've never really had it? Odds are against that, though, right?